The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hassi94

Original post by hassi94
Naa actually next year it starts on the 4th October, it's just a placeholder random date out of laziness, I think. Most of the dates for unis on UCAS are wrong apparently :smile:

EDIT: Also more off-topic; the girl in your sig is very airbrushed but still soo hawwwwt.

Ah, ok. Yeah, she's not bad :wink:
Reply 1801
Original post by maths134
Not gonna lie, STEP is really quite fun... why has no one told me this before lol.

Yeah I know, I don't why everyone seems to be so scared of it. I enjoy doing it.
Original post by hassi94
Right I thought it was I (from what it said on the sheet), must be mistaken :tongue: (EDIT: I read Mathematical Formulae (STEP) 1 and mixed them up :tongue:)

But still how can you do STEP III so well if you haven't finished further maths? (or have you?)

Are you looking for a more sophisticated answer than: I am a sad, sad person?
I see stuff I haven't done, I teach myself.
Reply 1803
Just got 3 solutions out for III 1987! The questions in the earlier years seems to have a much greater variation in difficulty (the questions I did could have easily been on a step I papers and required no further pure knowledge, hence my success with them).
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by twig
Just got 3 solutions out for III 1987! The questions in the earlier years seems to have a much greater variation in difficulty (the questions I did could have easy been on a step I papers and required no further pure knowledge, hence my success with them).

Well done! Which questions did you do?
Well I had my first ever foray into step this morning...completed the pure on step 1 2006. Does anyone know if that is considered easy or hard as they go?
Original post by TheMagicMan
Well I had my first ever foray into step this morning...completed the pure on step 1 2006. Does anyone know if that is considered easy or hard as they go?

all the questions! :eek: what did you smoke? :colone:
Original post by Rahul.S
all the questions! :eek: what did you smoke? :colone:

I think by that point I had pure caffeine flowing through my veins as I was dragged out of bed at 6.30 to watch rugby :tongue:
I think by that point I had pure caffeine flowing through my veins as I was dragged out of bed at 6.30 to watch rugby :tongue:

I was gutted to see England crash out.....who do you support?
the awkward moment when differentiating (xsinx)^2 for a STEP question is quite relaxing..
Im doing Further Maths AS, so put that on UCAS, but read somewhere you had to put maths AS on again in case of recertification..... Im a bit confused about this :frown:
Original post by Rahul.S
I was gutted to see England crash out.....who do you support?

England :rolleyes: I guess I'm supporting New Zealand now as they deserve it

In my humble opinion:
Pure- The questions are very "nice", especially if you like geometry (which I do). They are a tad easy though. 3 is unbelievably easy, 4 is beautiful but not too taxing, eight is a lovely question. I'd say that this paper is notably different to others in that the questions lead you through the problem quite overtly.
You have done very well to do all of them though.

Mechanics- Bleugh. No other word for it IMO. Long, wordy, fiddly and not at all memorable. I probably wouldn't touch any unless I was desperate which is not at all like me.

Stats- Fairly standard. Not easy, not extremely difficult either. Relatively concise though which is good.
Original post by ben-smith
In my humble opinion:
Pure- The questions are very "nice", especially if you like geometry (which I do). They are a tad easy though. 3 is unbelievably easy, 4 is beautiful but not too taxing, eight is a lovely question. I'd say that this paper is notably different to others in that the questions lead you through the problem quite overtly.
You have done very well to do all of them though.

Mechanics- Bleugh. No other word for it IMO. Long, wordy, fiddly and not at all memorable. I probably wouldn't touch any unless I was desperate which is not at all like me.

Stats- Fairly standard. Not easy, not extremely difficult either. Relatively concise though which is good.

Thanks. I did think it was surprisingly easy considering what I heard: the only place I ran into trouble was when I mis-substituted in 5 (ii) and got into some horrendous algebra (no excuses there:rolleyes:) I've also pretty much resolved to only do pure when I sit the actual exams as I find it so much more formulaic.
Thanks. I did think it was surprisingly easy considering what I heard: the only place I ran into trouble was when I mis-substituted in 5 (ii) and got into some horrendous algebra (no excuses there:rolleyes:) I've also pretty much resolved to only do pure when I sit the actual exams as I find it so much more formulaic.

(intentional maths pun?)
That strategy would have payed off in 2006. Not so much in STEP II this year...
I wouldn't completely avoid the applied as they are occasionally very nice and some of them are literally pure questions in disguise.
But you seem pretty sorted so who am I to tell you how to do STEP?
Original post by ben-smith
(intentional maths pun?)
That strategy would have payed off in 2006. Not so much in STEP II this year...
I wouldn't completely avoid the applied as they are occasionally very nice and some of them are literally pure questions in disguise.
But you seem pretty sorted so who am I to tell you how to do STEP?

Everyone in my school has always adopted the 'pure-only' strategy and it seems to work: we had 10 1s and Ss out of 10 last year
Everyone in my school has always adopted the 'pure-only' strategy and it seems to work: we had 10 1s and Ss out of 10 last year

All I was saying is that you don't stand to lose much by at least looking at the stats/mechanics questions just in case there is a gift of a question which occasionally happens.
Reply 1817
I enjoy pondering over the mechanics questions every now and again! Some of them can be surprisingly straight forward when you know what you're doing (which is the difficult part :wink:)

you had 10 people do STEP !!! we had one person do STEP last yr... he got a 3.
Reply 1819
Original post by safmaster
Well done! Which questions did you do?

2, 5 and 10 (also did 1 before: but my method was very wordy). Bascially any pure qs I understand at the moment, and any number theory:biggrin:

Latest