The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1820
Original post by TheMagicMan
Everyone in my school has always adopted the 'pure-only' strategy and it seems to work: we had 10 1s and Ss out of 10 last year

All ten of them achieved grades I or S? Wow.
STEP makes my A-levels look really easy =/, i have C3/C4 S2 and physics in january and I really don't care right now lol. Oh and im finding some BMO questions harder than STEP, anyone else?
Original post by maths134
STEP makes my A-levels look really easy =/, i have C3/C4 S2 and physics in january and I really don't care right now lol. Oh and im finding some BMO questions harder than STEP, anyone else?

LOL, wut? Have you finished STEP Qs already?! I would have thought that there is more than enough.
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple

LOL, wut? Have you finished STEP Qs already?! I would have thought that there is more than enough.

I don't think they have...I highly doubt anyone has done every STEP question.

lol no!! im just doing each STEP/BMO question from each year. So STEP paper, then BMO etc.. that way I get both types of maths :smile:
Original post by Femto
All ten of them achieved grades I or S? Wow.

It was 5 people----> ten papers
lol no!! im just doing each STEP/BMO question from each year. So STEP paper, then BMO etc.. that way I get both types of maths :smile:

Oh right, good idea! Only 1 other student in my sixth form (3000+ students) sitting STEP. *_*
Oh right, good idea! Only 1 other student in my sixth form (3000+ students) sitting STEP. *_*

I'm the only one =[. Last yr we had one (got a 3 in STEP 1). Year before no one, year before we had a fail. My school has a great history... lol
Original post by TheMagicMan
England :rolleyes: I guess I'm supporting New Zealand now as they deserve it

lol....i dont want johnson to get sacked :redface:
Reply 1829

My view is that BMO and STEP are completely different. And usually you are either very good at BMO, or not. My teacher hates any sort olympiad questions, but she is probably the best teacher. There is a girl in my class who got a B in A level maths, but smashes senior challege, where as I cant stand it and I got 590/600 in my A level maths, and I love STEP! so its all relative :smile:
I thought I would just say that if anybody is considering studying maths at King's College London then do feel free to pm me and I'll give you some information regarding what maths is like here.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by RamsFanNo1
I thought I would just say that if anybody is considdering studying maths at King's College London then do feel free to pm me and I'll give you some information regarding what maths is like here.

how is it? I decided to replace Kings with LSE....lets see if you can switch my decision :colone:
Reply 1832
I'm the only one =[. Last yr we had one (got a 3 in STEP 1). Year before no one, year before we had a fail. My school has a great history... lol

There's only one person that has sat it from my sixth form but he achieved a grade 1 in STEP I and a grade 3 in STEP II. I'm the taking it this year along with another fellow mathematician. We're quite scared though :wink:
Original post by ben-smith
In my humble opinion:
Pure- The questions are very "nice", especially if you like geometry (which I do). They are a tad easy though. 3 is unbelievably easy, 4 is beautiful but not too taxing, eight is a lovely question. I'd say that this paper is notably different to others in that the questions lead you through the problem quite overtly.
You have done very well to do all of them though.

Mechanics- Bleugh. No other word for it IMO. Long, wordy, fiddly and not at all memorable. I probably wouldn't touch any unless I was desperate which is not at all like me.

Stats- Fairly standard. Not easy, not extremely difficult either. Relatively concise though which is good.

I totally agree with your evaluations on all 3 parts of maths....core/pure = :biggrin: stats = ok most of the time...mechanics = :redface:
Original post by Rahul.S
how is it? I decided to replace Kings with LSE....lets see if you can switch my decision :colone:

Apparently LSE maths course is **** bro, if you want to go into something like research etc. it's sick for a job though. If that's what you're after.
Apparently LSE maths course is **** bro, if you want to go into something like research etc. it's sick for a job though. If that's what you're after.

i picked it for job prospect :biggrin:
Reply 1836

Depends on the area of research (e.g. i think its good for econometrics, game thoery, etc.).
Reply 1837
UCAS sent. Exciting times indeed!
Original post by Rahul.S
i picked it for job prospect :biggrin:

Standard, get rich quick. :colone:
completed my first COMPLETE- 20 MARK step solution =) :woo:

Latest