The Student Room Group

Keele Medical School Applicants 2012

Keele Medical School Applicants 2012

So then, here's a place for those who will be applying to Keele. What made you choose Keele? What accommodation are you hoping to get? Discuss all Keele Medical School related things here :h:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nooo... wrong forum! Sorry guys, can a mod please move this? :redface:
Woo!

will be applying for 2012 entry :biggrin:

Chose Keele mainly because they don't really use the UKCAT so much, and I flopped that completely :frown:

(don't really know what else to say :s-smilie:)
Original post by Iaso
Nooo... wrong forum! Sorry guys, can a mod please move this? :redface:

Reported, a mod should hopefully be along soon.

In future, if you want a thread moved, look in the top right hand corner of your first post in the thread (the little exclamation mark in a red and white circle). You can click this, and report your own post (requesting to have it moved). Using the reporting system for stuff like this means mods can be notified much quicker than just asking the mods inside the thread. :smile:

Although try to get the right forum next time too. :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
May or may not be applying here. Not sure yet xD

Currently HYMS, Kings, Barts and here are fighting for a place on my 4 decisions.
Reply 5
Original post by Wilzman
Reported, a mod should hopefully be along soon.

In future, if you want a thread moved, look in the top right hand corner of your first post in the thread (the little exclamation mark in a red and white circle). You can click this, and report your own post (requesting to have it moved). Using the reporting system for stuff like this means mods can be notified much quicker than just asking the mods inside the thread. :smile:

Although try to get the right forum next time too. :tongue:

Okay, thank you!!

Anybody else seen this on the Keele website?

A100 – the standard 5-year programme; there were over 3,000 applications for 130 places on this programme in 2011

That's quite worring! Do you reckon there'll be less applicants this year because of it?
hi guys :smile: i hope to apply here to!!
:O 3000 applicants last year?!! well i really hope they'll be less applicants this year then...
Reply 7
Original post by thegodofgod
Woo!

will be applying for 2012 entry :biggrin:

Chose Keele mainly because they don't really use the UKCAT so much, and I flopped that completely :frown:

(don't really know what else to say :s-smilie:)

do you know any other unis that doesnt use the UKCAT "so much" to shortlist people?
Original post by arnab
do you know any other unis that doesnt use the UKCAT "so much" to shortlist people?

BSMS use it in a similar way to Keele:
"All applicants to BSMS are required to take the UKCAT however, there is currently
no threshold. We only use the UKCAT once you have been interviewed, either if you are on borderline with other candidates to being offered a place here, or if you are already on our waiting list and a space has become available. A low UKCAT score does not mean that your application will automatically be made unsuccessful if you meet our other entry requirements."

UEA too:
"We have not set a minimum cut-off score for the UKCAT test. We will be considering scores from the test alongside standard application and personal statement screening processes in the School. While a high UKCAT score could be
advantageous a low score will not automatically disqualify a candidate from consideration, if the rest of the application is strong then the applicant could still be short-listed for interview with a lower test score."

Take a look here to see how other universities use it too: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UKCAT
Reply 9
Original post by arnab

There's also Liverpool, Birmingham and Lancaster that don't use the UKCAT at all, or any other admissions test, but I'm sure you're aware of those :h:
Thinking of applying here for fourth option, had no idea there were 3000 applications last year though! I expect that was because of the AAB offers they gave out though, same reason Sheffield had their 717.5 cut off, so it should reduce this year.
Reply 11
Original post by Iaso
There's also Liverpool, Birmingham and Lancaster that don't use the UKCAT at all, or any other admissions test, but I'm sure you're aware of those :h:

yh i knew about liverpool and Birmingham :biggrin::biggrin:but not about Lancaster:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
any other unis you think i should know about?:colondollar:

EDIT : sowwi, i accidently negged you
Im hoping to apply here...:-D
Reply 13
Original post by arnab
yh i knew about liverpool and Birmingham :biggrin::biggrin:but not about Lancaster:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
any other unis you think i should know about?:colondollar:

EDIT : sowwi, i accidently negged you

:frown: Rep to cancel out?

There's no others that don't use any admissions tests (I think!). And there's Cambridge, Oxford, UCL and Imperial that use the BMAT, not the UKCAT :h:
Original post by Iaso

There's no others that don't use any admissions tests (I think!). And there's Cambridge, Oxford, UCL and Imperial that use the BMAT, not the UKCAT :h:

There's also Bristol that don't use it, the ones that do not use UKCAT at all are Bristol, Birmingham, Liverpool, Lancaster, Cambridge, Oxford, UCL and Imperial. As well as ones that do use it, but only slightly such as Keele, UEA, BSMS and I think Aberdeen.
Reply 15
Original post by Iaso

yhh reped ur other post to cancel it out :smile: and thanks, i already knew that bit :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Normandy114
There's also Bristol that don't use it, the ones that do not use UKCAT at all are Bristol, Birmingham, Liverpool, Lancaster, Cambridge, Oxford, UCL and Imperial. As well as ones that do use it, but only slightly such as Keele, UEA, BSMS and I think Aberdeen.

hi
Thanks a LOT for your help, appreciate it :smile:

EDIT : what about nottingham and leeds? i heard they done use it that much as well but not too sure lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by arnab
yhh reped ur other post to cancel it out :smile: and thanks, i already knew that bit :smile:

N'aww, thank you :biggrin:
Original post by arnab
hi
Thanks a LOT for your help, appreciate it :smile:

EDIT : what about nottingham and leeds? i heard they done use it that much as well but not too sure lol

Oh yes Leeds use a points based system, you get a score out of 46 (16 for GCSEs and A levels, 6 for reference and 24 for personal statement), and if your UKCAT average is above 700 you get one bonus point, so not very heavy weighting at all. Nottingham I have no idea, sorry. Try looking at the nottingham applicant threads to get an idea.
Reply 19
Original post by Normandy114
Oh yes Leeds use a points based system, you get a score out of 46 (16 for GCSEs and A levels, 6 for reference and 24 for personal statement), and if your UKCAT average is above 700 you get one bonus point, so not very heavy weighting at all. Nottingham I have no idea, sorry. Try looking at the nottingham applicant threads to get an idea.

thanks for the info mate. will look into the nottingham thread :smile:
just 1more question, do you know any thing about St.george? like about how they use the ukcat and that?:redface:

Quick Reply

Latest