Scroll to see replies

Reply 6820
Original post by tallulah11

Original post by tallulah11
Hey heyy

I'm applying from California this year!
Subject: geography
College: Christ church
And other than that, the scores and tests I've taken diverge from UK standards. I have four APs with a score of five in relevant subjects (requirement is three). But I also have five SAT2s with a 700 or above, and Oxford only asks that US applicants have either the APs or the SATs, and a combination if both can be submitted so that the applicant reaches the requirement of three.
I have a 2240 on my SAT, and the minimum for Oxford is a 2000, though I'm expecting to receive higher scores in a week. I have a 34 on the ACT, an additional standardized test, whilst Oxford asks for a 31 (I think?). Andddd I have As in school.
But still! Everyone applying is extremely smart and absolutely worthy. If you're applying to christ church, message me! I want to connect with people before we all find out about our results - like a support group.
Also, if I get asked for interview I'll be flying all the way over there, and it'd be nice to meet up with other applicants who are there at/around the same time!

Sorry this is so long (:

X

Hey im also applying for geography at Christ Church
Reply 6821
Haven't sent my UCAS yet! Would send it by Thursday..how long does it take to get processed? Panicking now..!
Original post by Banoffeepie16
Oh no don't worry, it wasn't a letter from Oxford :smile:
It was from my college, just an exam timetable for it.

Sorry, I should have been clearer! :redface:

PHEWEE thanks for clarifying thought I was going to die for a moment then :P x
Reply 6823
Hey there, anyone else scared to death about their entrance test. *_* cannot believe how close it is!!
Original post by Piisbetterthantau

Original post by Piisbetterthantau
Seriously? Like Cambridge now? Wow (in a good way, I personally think the Cam pool is a very good idea).
As I understand it then it varies a bit by subject.

But certainly for my subject (Computer Science) then after interviews (and after they've decided who they definitely want) all the tutors from all the colleges sit in a room and discuss the remaining candidates (they have a list in order of admissions test score and discuss them one by one).
Reply 6825
Original post by Unconventional.
I have a question for any fellow law applicants:

Is it definitely true that I do not need to put my LNAT on the UCAS form? I was pretty sure I did not as it was sent automatically to the universities, but my school has sent me back my UCAS form and said I need to put it on the form, with my score if I have already sat it. I have indeed already sat it but I know I won't get my score until, like, February or something and I also know LNAT send your score directly to the universities you apply for so I don't think I need to put it on my UCAS form in the education section. Am I correct and the school are wrong? I'm really stressing about this as I want to get my form sent off ASAP! Thanks in advance for any help. xD

Your school are wrong and you are right. Pearson Vue distribute the LNAT scores to your LNAT unis so you don't need to put it on your UCAS.
Username: pollyrylandsrichey
Subject: experimental psychology
GCSE: 7A*s 4As
AS: 2As 3Bs
College: Univ
:smile:
Original post by fluteflute
Hopefully you can access it now. But I hope you'll see from it that the acceptance rates between college are actually very similar. There's no point choosing a college because you think it'll be easier to get into simply because it won't :smile:

Thanks for the spreadsheet! It's very useful, although now I feel really, really scared that I applied to Worcester when seeing how it dominates the no. of original applicants section and it just seems really oversubscribed :s-smilie: oh dear. I know there's supposed to be a really good pool system and everything but I'm starting to wonder how much difference it'll make I mean, the other applicants that apply to other colleges will be really good and therefore if the college I applied for doesn't take me I can't help but think it's extremely unlikely that I'll be pooled :frown:

Not that I think I'll get an interview after the HAT... And seeing people with impossibly good GCSEs freaks me out. On the plus side yes, I can access the spreadsheet fine now :smile:

*Anyone else feeling kind of....pessimistic at the moment?
Original post by Maxm79
Hey there, anyone else scared to death about their entrance test. *_* cannot believe how close it is!!

:ashamed2: I know how you feel...what are you applying for then?

Original post by Banoffeepie16
Ah woowweee :biggrin:
I still haven't got one yet, mine was processed on the 26th September.
I wonder if they're doing it by subject..:confused:

Most likely, me and my friend applied to similar universities for different subjects and she's had 5 "acknowledgements" now where as I've had 2 :redface:

Original post by moonlight10
Yeah that was it thanks! Lol personally I'd like to make an open application but the 'rents are a different story :s-smilie:

Ah rent, it's all swings and roundabouts, remember, if you pay slightly more at one college for rent you might pay slightly more at another college for food or other costs etc. Of course you can compare all of this via prospectus, happy choosing!
Original post by Niki_girl
the other applicants that apply to other colleges will be really good and therefore if the college I applied for doesn't take me I can't help but think it's extremely unlikely that I'll be pooled :frown:

I'm pretty sure all the remaining candidates are pooled? They're not going to throw you out just because a lot of other good students applied to the same college as you - that tells them nothing about your abilities..
Thanks for the spreadsheet! It's very useful, although now I feel really, really scared that I applied to Worcester when seeing how it dominates the no. of original applicants section and it just seems really oversubscribed :s-smilie: oh dear. I know there's supposed to be a really good pool system and everything but I'm starting to wonder how much difference it'll make I mean, the other applicants that apply to other colleges will be really good and therefore if the college I applied for doesn't take me I can't help but think it's extremely unlikely that I'll be pooled :frown:
Nooo, don't be pessimistic. Column I is what's important. 23% of people who apply to Worcester get in to Oxford, which is more than the average across the university (20%).

You're right that you're much more likely to end up at another college if you apply to Worcester, but you're overall chances of getting in are not any worse. :smile:
I haven't submitted my UCAS yet and I'm probably not going to do it until Thursday. I am an independent applicant. Do you guys know if there is any processing time I should be aware of? Or will my UCAS-application go straight to the database with no delay?

- Thank you
Reply 6832
:ashamed2: I know how you feel...what are you applying for then?

History, what about you?
Original post by AnimalSpirit
I'm pretty sure all the remaining candidates are pooled? They're not going to throw you out just because a lot of other good students applied to the same college as you - that tells them nothing about your abilities..

Original post by fluteflute
Nooo, don't be pessimistic. Column I is what's important. 23% of people who apply to Worcester get in to Oxford, which is more than the average across the university (20%).

You're right that you're much more likely to end up at another college if you apply to Worcester, but you're overall chances of getting in are not any worse. :smile:

:h: Thanks guys! To be honest I, like most people don't really care, ultimately which college I would be put into if I was made an offer (emphasis on the conditional) it seems the pooling system might just save me...or at least give me another chance if loads of other good candidates apply to Worcester. I didn't notice about 23% of people who apply to Worcester getting in to Oxford (I'm not that logically minded so I don't think I looked that far) but that's certainly made me feel more optimistic! :smile:

Good luck with your applications!
Original post by Maxm79
History, what about you?

History, same as you...oh what good GCSEs you have . Lol, everyone on here has so many A*s at GCSE...ah well shall have to write extremely well in the HAT to compensate!

I'm really freaked out about the essay question (1c? I think) and am currently frantically trying to memorise AS history again so I have something to write about :tongue: seeing as I don't think I know my A2 topics well enough to answer on them yet :smile:

What college are you applying to btw?
Reply 6835
History, same as you...oh what good GCSEs you have . Lol, everyone on here has so many A*s at GCSE...ah well shall have to write extremely well in the HAT to compensate!

I'm really freaked out about the essay question (1c? I think) and am currently frantically trying to memorise AS history again so I have something to write about :tongue: seeing as I don't think I know my A2 topics well enough to answer on them yet :smile:

What college are you applying to btw?

Meh, they judge it on your school so if you've done well at your school, dont worry :smile: and even then it's just a part of the criteria :P
yes omg, 1c! horrible >< Yup, some brief looking over is definitely needed

And I'm applying to corpus christi - what about you? :smile:
If I spent as much time studying as I did stalking & maniacally posting about Oxford on TSR I would get in no probs.
Ah, irony.

TO THE GRAMMAR REVISION :bricks:
UCAS got sent off at 12:21 today!!
History, same as you...

Me too! How are you preparing, by the way? I mean, are you just reading through the online materials or doing practice essays or anything else?
The HAT is so scary, I haven't a clue what to expect and a bad performance could mess up an application so easily :afraid:
Original post by AnimalSpirit
I haven't submitted my UCAS yet and I'm probably not going to do it until Thursday. I am an independent applicant. Do you guys know if there is any processing time I should be aware of? Or will my UCAS-application go straight to the database with no delay?

- Thank you

It could take up to 48 hours.

Latest

Trending

Trending