The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Beska
I already hate histology. Can anybody recommend a half-decent textbook that will help me get my head around the basics? The library/reading list has loads, but don't have the time to read through them all atm.

I prefer Histology and Cell Biology.

It's the best histology book I've used so far.
I get to do DNA extraction from blood all by myself today :biggrin: first time I've done anything lab-y alone. Lets hope it actually works...

I'm actually loving iBSc at the moment, its completely different to Medicine but quite glad I haven't done the tradional iBSc with lectures - I can't imagine being in lectures again and revising exams. This is the first Christmas season I haven't had to revise since year 9 that's... 7 years ago now :O

Also does anyone know any good stats books? Like statistical analysis for research?

In regards to histology book, I used the blue junqeira one. But also used online resources, cannot remember the exact website (there are many I'm sure) but there are slides online that are more helpful than looking through a book. I think one was 'Blue hsitology http://www.lab.anhb.uwa.edu.au/mb140/

DNa extraction worked :biggrin: did it on two bloods in one go and got two DNA strands *proud* (actually sad enough to take pics to show my supervisor tomorrow...)
(edited 12 years ago)
FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU.. Inequalities in health. What is this ****?
Original post by GodspeedGehenna

Ah, first year sociology... the Black report :yes: That's the limits of my memory on that subject.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Ah, first year sociology... the Black report :yes: That's the limits of my memory on that subject.

Ugh. I've already hard of that report more than I care to mention.
Lecture on Managing stress?

You know what Med school? Maybe if you didn't make me sit through this i'd be less stressed?
Right. Time to read through 100 pages of Medical Sciences to get back on top of my work ... :emo:

Spoiler

Original post by RollerBall

Original post by RollerBall
I just saw coldplay are playing at UEA, so jelly :frown:

Yep :yep:

Don't think I'll be getting a ticket though. They're opening up the ticket office at 11pm the night before so people don't have to camp outside..... I cba with all that :p:
Original post by ScrubZ
I've got an initiation on Wednesday followed by a full day of dissection... sympathy please

You'll get no sympathy from me unless your dissections always culminate with a grouchy retired surgeon calling you an idiot.

Top tip: blunt force (fingers) are almost always quicker and just as neat for pulling up layers of fascia. This knowledge will save you an awful lot of time.

Am I literally the only person who likes public health?
Original post by Fission_Mailed

One of my friends just moved across the entire length of the UK to intercalate in something like that. You are not alone.
One of my friends just moved across the entire length of the UK to intercalate in something like that. You are not alone.

That's a relief. Public health is important, people! More important than whatever puny contribution to society you or I will make.
That's a relief. Public health is important, people! More important than whatever puny contribution to society you or I will make.

Wtf is public health anyway? :dontknow:
Wtf is public health anyway? :dontknow:

Haven't a clue, but apparently you need to know it for finals.
Original post by Beska
I already hate histology. Can anybody recommend a half-decent textbook that will help me get my head around the basics? The library/reading list has loads, but don't have the time to read through them all atm.

Do they not give you a sheet with loads of info on that you have to draw the cells/tissues in from the atlas? TBH, you just need to know what's in and how to differentiate between cells (lymphocytes have a big nucleus whereas monocytes have a kidney shaped nucleus) or tissues (they like skin). AFAIK, you don't have to look down a miroscope/at an image and identify what it is. I didn't even do that in exam conditions doing biomed. Can't recommend you a textbook, as I mainly learnt it in my first degree through microscope work/ lectures...

Original post by Beska
I don't really need to learn histology per se, I need to know how to look at histological slides. Does that make sense? The 2D representation of 3D things confuses me somewhat. :p:

Do you understand how the slides are made? That might help. Main things to look for are: amount of pigmentation in nucleus -hyperpigmentation normally means cancer; abnormal size or shape of nuclei or cells; does everything look roughly the same or is there neoplasia?; is there too much or too little space between layers. Normally, if you are looking for something different, a specific stain will be used but normally just H &E is used for making slides of tissue/cells.

Original post by Beska
I'm finding the transition very difficult. I always knew it would be hard because of the layout of the course but it is ridiculously intense - already nearly finished a case, anatomy of the reps. system, resp. clinical exams and I've been here for what, 2 weeks? Not even met my tutor or peer parent yet, lol. I absolutely dread to think how intense the Newcastle GEP course is...

I'm not seeing the problem, that's normal :giggle: The first few weeks are always a bit crazy. It'll calm down and you'll get used to it. GEP isn't as bad as you think it is, although that might be the amnesia kicking in.... I'm loving 3rd year- it's so laid back in relation to last year.

Original post by Penguinsaysquack
GEPpers are machines.. only explanation :sadnod::

or crazy...

The exam format is going to be completely different as well to what I'm used to. I think the biggest thing is trying to figure out how much work this should actually involve - I only have classes on two days, but I haven't yet figured out whether this means I should be in the library on the other days (currently ignoring the project that apparents requires a day a week) or whether a couple of hours a week to keep up to date on lecture material is sufficient.

Essay questions? How I don't miss those, although it does mean you just need to know specific overviews to topics rather than minutae like in med. It depends on what sort of questions you get set - we had to use the lectures to guide our extra reading :yucky:

Welcome to sociology, thinly disguised as medicine.

Well someone has to do it, just not me :no:
8am GI lecture. Feels bad, man.

8am GI lecture. Feels bad, man.

8:30am MDT meeting :sigh:

Oh the joys of the first day of placement :rolleyes:
Any of you guys who are PS Helpers, please please please can you do a review, or even better, a couple of reviews, this week? The UCAS deadline is on Saturday, so we need all hands on deck over the next few days. Think of the Amazon vouchers... they'll be given out just in time for you to do your Christmas shopping...
Gastro is actually ace. First placement syndrome perhaps.
Original post by Mushi_master
Gastro is actually ace. First placement syndrome perhaps.

Perhaps not. My placement has only confirmed the fact that I'm not inclined towards surgery.

Latest

Trending

Trending