The Student Room Group

History Uni Choices - ahhh help!

I'm hoping to study History at Uni and have decided on my first four choices (Oxford, Durham, Warwick and Exeter, I think), but I'm having trouble with the fifth.

It's basically between Southampton, Nottingham and York, but I haven't actually been able to visit them so it's extremely difficult to distinguish between departments/ courses/ campuses in general. Any advice appreciated :colondollar:

Thank you!
I really didn't like the York history course.

I think when it really boils down to it, course content should be the first thing..

That said, if you're at a level where you can apply for Oxford/Durham, I wouldn't worry too much a fifth choice.
York is very good for History I find but the problem is I tend to find some of the buildings old and stuffy :frown: However, if you are looking for a good alternative, Newcastle is pretty good (I'm studying at Newcastle now) and the History programme is brill ...
Reply 3
Thanks for your help :smile:
Slightly worried that I'm being a bit ambitious, because of the lack of an AAB Uni... :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Well this is weird. I've got the exact same 4 choices as you for History, and my fifth is Royal Holloway, which is AAB and so nice, I loved it so much at the open day. I definitely look at that.

Otherwise, I hated York and Nottingham, so I suppose I'd suggest Southampton :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by TheSophistory
I'm hoping to study History at Uni and have decided on my first four choices (Oxford, Durham, Warwick and Exeter, I think), but I'm having trouble with the fifth.

It's basically between Southampton, Nottingham and York, but I haven't actually been able to visit them so it's extremely difficult to distinguish between departments/ courses/ campuses in general. Any advice appreciated :colondollar:

Thank you!

If your in need of an AAB university, Southampton is the one. York and nottingham both ask for AAA

if you want to have more choice or are sure you will get AAA, York is probably the best out of the three. i personally loved the history course and the accomodation is excellent

Good luck for Oxford i am applying as well :redface:
I may be putting Southampton as my 5th choice. The main campus was amazing - such a friendly atmosphere and a brilliant student's union, and I guess it depends what you like because the Humanities and Language teaching area is actually a totally different campus all together, a short bus ride away or 10 minute walk through a forest and a very very very quiet campus. The accomodation wasn't great (and also a seperate campus) but all in all, the course looked AMAZING - far better than A LOT I've seen. Alot of interesting modules there that are quite unusual too.
As previously commented, if you haven't looked at RHUL look at that. It's AMAZING there and will be a lot higher up in my choices than Southampton.
Reply 7
Yup, I've put Southampton down for now. I agree, RHUL looks lovely but it's a little close to home for me :colondollar:

The problem is, my UCAS still hasn't gone off yet so I'm still sort of going round in circles about options. I've considered Oxford, Durham, Warwick, Exeter and St Andrew's. I'm predicted A*A*A*A, but I'm assuming this is still too ambitious? :dontknow:
Reply 8
Original post by TheSophistory
Yup, I've put Southampton down for now. I agree, RHUL looks lovely but it's a little close to home for me :colondollar:

The problem is, my UCAS still hasn't gone off yet so I'm still sort of going round in circles about options. I've considered Oxford, Durham, Warwick, Exeter and St Andrew's. I'm predicted A*A*A*A, but I'm assuming this is still too ambitious? :dontknow:

Getting predicted three a*s means you can choose anywhere really so i think you have got the right type of universities. it's just a question of whether you want an AAB offer just in case
I wish I had those predictions. i've only got A*A*AB what was your A prediction in? ::colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending