The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6440
Is there anywhere in the university where undergraduates in the faculty of science can take up or learn a foreign language from beginners level? ( some universities have "language centres" for this)
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
I've heard that the first year at St Andrew's tends to be a 'catch-up' year, i.e. not very challenging? I'm assuming this is just a rumour! (I'm looking to do History)
Is there much LGBT going on?
Original post by FDR
Is there anywhere in the university where undergraduates in the faculty of science can take up or learn a foreign language from beginners level? ( some universities have "language centres" for this)

Yep, St Andrews do evening language classes :smile:
Reply 6444
Original post by Ecosse_14
Yep, St Andrews do evening language classes :smile:

Thanks! Last question on this, I promise, how much do these classes usually cost? :smile:
Original post by FDR
Thanks! Last question on this, I promise, how much do these classes usually cost? :smile:

Think they're around £90, although if you're Scottish I think you get them for free, not 100% sure as I've never took one.
Original post by TheSophistory
I've heard that the first year at St Andrew's tends to be a 'catch-up' year, i.e. not very challenging? I'm assuming this is just a rumour! (I'm looking to do History)

In some cases yes. Not in others. For example if your history course at school or college covered periods a, b and c but St Andrews covers something different then it's less about catching up, rather learning something new.

My experience is that 1st year is a good year to get into the way of the university, what they expect, and if it's a new subject gain the theoretical underpinnings you'll require to progress.

I'd go with an open mind and if you find it is a catch up, great. You'll do very well. If not, then it's a chance to settle into your new life.
Reply 6447
Original post by dragon500uk
It's not a city.... It's a town. I'd go as far as calling it a village if the university wasn't there.

Have you looked on googlemaps? There is street view you can have a look yourself.

St Andrews is indeed a city by definition because it has a cathedral.
Reply 6448
Original post by FDR

Think they're around £90, although if you're Scottish I think you get them for free, not 100% sure as I've never took one.

I think that applies only for Gaelic. You will find more information here: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/eveninglanguages/

And yes, it's 90 pounds I pay for my Gaelic lessons, I'm not Scottish though.
do people go down to london a lot? I love the sound of the uni, I cant get up there for any open days so I cant see it before i send in my UCAS. the only thing is that it seems a bit isolated.
Original post by Sappho
I think that applies only for Gaelic. You will find more information here: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/eveninglanguages/

And yes, it's 90 pounds I pay for my Gaelic lessons, I'm not Scottish though.

Yeah just checked and they've changed the funding so that it's only free for Gaelic.
Original post by FDR

You can take up language lessons, doesn't matter what your subject is, you need to pay though
Original post by maxcartwright
do people go down to london a lot? I love the sound of the uni, I cant get up there for any open days so I cant see it before i send in my UCAS. the only thing is that it seems a bit isolated.

Nothing stopping them.

Sleeper train good for this.
Yeah just checked and they've changed the funding so that it's only free for Gaelic.

However, there is some funding you can apply for if you live in Scotland and can use this for language course. Is somewhere on the uni website under 'funding'
Original post by maths134
Is there much LGBT going on?

My friend says yes
Original post by No Future
However, there is some funding you can apply for if you live in Scotland and can use this for language course. Is somewhere on the uni website under 'funding'

Got a link?
Reply 6456
I wonder, how many international spots do St. Andrews allocate for international students planning on doing medicine? I've had a look at the uni and the city. Looks really good. I kinda like the quiet and homely feel the whole city has. I really really want to include it in my UCAS choices. But I'm afraid that they only admit very little international students and that my chances of getting in will be very slim. And I don't want to waste a spot on my choices. Cheers.
Reply 6457
Got a link?

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/students/money/Financialsupport/IndividualLearningAccount-Scotland/

Though now it only apply to the Gaelic course. They just haven't updated the website yet.
Original post by Oh-WOW
Though now it only apply to the Gaelic course..

That's what I said and the poster said otherwise :tongue:
Reply 6459
That's what I said and the poster said otherwise :tongue:

I meant to quote him too. Sorry.
My head is fried. :frown:
I need a personal organiser to sort my life out :P

Latest

Trending

Trending