The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by twelve
Not necessarily- but you will definitely be living there for 5 years, so if living there puts you off...

This. Don't live somewhere you honestly can't see yourself living. It will only make things more difficult and depressing.

For example, I would hate not living near a city or having no easy access to the music I like. It would make me murderous and grumpy. :angry: :lol:
Reply 4221
Original post by Harbour Seal
This. Don't live somewhere you honestly can't see yourself living. It will only make things more difficult and depressing.

For example, I would hate not living near a city or having no easy access to the music I like. It would make me murderous and grumpy. :angry: :lol:

It just makes it so much harder to choose. My last choice is between edinburgh (probably wont get in) & st andrews (nice place, but very little to do, don't fancy bussing it up to dundee everytime I want to do something. Though you would only be there for three years)
Original post by kingme
It just makes it so much harder to choose. My last choice is between edinburgh (probably wont get in) & st andrews (nice place, but very little to do, don't fancy bussing it up to dundee everytime I want to do something. Though you would only be there for three years)

Hey, don't slag St Andrews... They have a fairly active student/music scene, and they are one of my choices if only because they are close to Anstruther and Fence Collective goodness :colondollar:

No, I did not put this in my personal statement.

Also, Edinburgh can get tae ****. I hate that city so much I wouldn't care if someone nuked it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4223
Hey, don't slag St Andrews... They have a fairly active student/music scene, and they are one of my choices if only because they are close to Anstruther and Fence Collective goodness :colondollar:

No, I did not put this in my personal statement.

Also, Edinburgh can get tae ****. I hate that city so much I wouldn't care if someone nuked it.

ouch. tbf im really not sure im good enough for edinburgh - pretty good ukcat & academia but not great other stuff. but i would just rather live in the city than in st andrews. dont get me wrong, ive been there, its a nice place. ill happily go there if i need to. it's just a bit claustrophobic for three years of study imo
Original post by kingme
ouch. tbf im really not sure im good enough for edinburgh - pretty good ukcat & academia but not great other stuff. but i would just rather live in the city than in st andrews. dont get me wrong, ive been there, its a nice place. ill happily go there if i need to. it's just a bit claustrophobic for three years of study imo

I just hate trying to find anything in that city. Plus, you can't slag them for the trams.

Also, Edinburgh are super picky. Can you not apply anywhere else?
Reply 4225
I just hate trying to find anything in that city. Plus, you can't slag them for the trams.

Also, Edinburgh are super picky. Can you not apply anywhere else?

well, its between there and st andrews for last choice. leaning towards st andrews as edinburgh are v hard to get into. out of all scottish unis, they definitely have highest ukcat scores on stalking. i know there's more to it than that, but its a good reflection of the quality of applicant.
Original post by kingme

There it absolutely nothing wrong with applying to Edinburgh. The ukcat is not the biggest thing they take into consideration. Tbf it's probably the best med school in the country and the city is buzzing!
Reply 4227
Original post by Anterior view
There it absolutely nothing wrong with applying to Edinburgh. The ukcat is not the biggest thing they take into consideration. Tbf it's probably the best med school in the country and the city is buzzing!

i've actually got a fairly good ukcat - 695, which i am actually not so pleased with now, having barely studied and ending all the reviews :facepalm:

im more worried about my lack of extracurricaular activities and voluntary stuff tbh -
few months in oxfam
volunteered in a hospital on a few occasions
done a total of ten days work experience :s-smilie:
Original post by Medic_hopefull_6
Hello there I would also like some last minute counselling ASP if possible, I am planning to reapply for medicine to a five year course at Leicester and grad at southampton
Im undecided between grad Warwick and under grad Queenmary and brighton
my qualification are these
UKCAT: average 635( 550 VR, 600QA, 660 shapes, 730 DA
A level AACC (Chem,Math, bio, phy)
and atm have a target grade of 2:1 in biomedical science at Queenmary
exp -> at a care home, shadow GP and about to engage in st.John ambulance
I am not feelign confident and would like to know what are my chance for the uni im applying and if I should aplpy for all 5years courses instead of grad
Thank you very much to anyone who is reading this I am eternally grateful to you
from a hopeful medic > <

Lol I love how you called the abstract section shapes!
Reply 4229
Original post by groovyangel2008
Lol I love how you called the abstract section shapes!

i thought that was what everone called it :tongue:
cannnnnnn'tttttttttt think of where to apply for my fourth choice :/!
Original post by Medic_hopefull_6
Hello there I would also like some last minute counselling ASP if possible, I am planning to reapply for medicine to a five year course at Leicester and grad at southampton
Im undecided between grad Warwick and under grad Queenmary and brighton
my qualification are these
UKCAT: average 635( 550 VR, 600QA, 660 shapes, 730 DA
A level AACC (Chem,Math, bio, phy)
and atm have a target grade of 2:1 in biomedical science at Queenmary
exp -> at a care home, shadow GP and about to engage in st.John ambulance
I am not feelign confident and would like to know what are my chance for the uni im applying and if I should aplpy for all 5years courses instead of grad
Thank you very much to anyone who is reading this I am eternally grateful to you
from a hopeful medic > <

as far as i know the 5 year courses are only for undergrads aren't they? if you're doing a degree then shouldn't you be applying for the 4 year courses?

if you're allowed to apply for the 5 year course then they want applicants with AAA or AAB (at the least) at Alevel.

i think you should give the med schools you're thinking of applying to a quick call for advise on which course to apply for.

hope that helps :smile:
Reply 4232
I'm going to kick my self so hard if Newcastle end up having a low cut off!! ARGHHHGHGH
Reply 4233
Original post by Dr.Galaxy99
cannnnnnn'tttttttttt think of where to apply for my fourth choice :/!

join the club :smile:

Original post by Seb
I'm going to kick my self so hard if Newcastle end up having a low cut off!! ARGHHHGHGH

know what you mean. its just a pain not knowing whos going to accept/interview you when you apply.:lol: im supposed to be writing my personal statement (started last night, me being a very clever boy) instead trying to work out where its worth my while applying to. :facepalm:
Original post by kingme

have you finished the rest of your application? :smile: i've just got to decide on my fourth option nowwww. :/
Reply 4235
Original post by Dr.Galaxy99
have you finished the rest of your application? :smile: i've just got to decide on my fourth option nowwww. :/

no :s-smilie: i find it is just so much more fun to do things at the last minute.
are you trying to decide between places you've got more chance with and places that you'd rather go to? ive got a better chance with st andrews, but would rather go to edinburgh.
decisions, decisions.
Reply 4236
Original post by kingme

know what you mean. its just a pain not knowing whos going to accept/interview you when you apply.:lol: im supposed to be writing my personal statement (started last night, me being a very clever boy) instead trying to work out where its worth my while applying to. :facepalm:

Well, I researched the **** out of my 4 choices, so I might have some clue... but, I mean, that's only because they told me over the phone :colondollar:
Reply 4237
Original post by Seb
Well, I researched the **** out of my 4 choices, so I might have some clue... but, I mean, that's only because they told me over the phone :colondollar:

that's cheating, surely!:frown:
though i might just do that later myself.
:argh:DAMN

There was a misunderstanding with my GCSEs and it affects Liverpool so i sent the 84509863493 emails to everyone and faxed them. The head of admissions replied to me saying she has made a note of my name and to leave it...little do they know there is a letter in the post about the same issue on the way there :doh:

i wish i wasn't so persistent and annoying, i hope my name isn't blacklisted now :argh:
Reply 4239
Original post by kingme
that's cheating, surely!:frown:
though i might just do that later myself.

Yeah, I definately recommend phoning them. Even if it's to tell them your life story. Ask them how they score your academics and everthing. There is always a hidden truth.

Although I phoned Manchester up many-a-time(s?) and only on the open day (after I had applied) they said "we will reject anyone immediately who doesn't have some long period care volunteering, because they are *****". Exact words bro, exact words.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending