The Student Room Group

Dentistry Reapplicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by AbigailBowden
id apply to manc i got an offer last year on 590 :smile: i hope we both get in this year :biggrin:

my friend got in ast yer and to be honest his personal statement was amazing! so i think manchester must look at ur ps alot, i remeber someone saying they met the requirements for manchester but didnt get in? maybe it was due to your p.s?
Original post by undertaker1
hey people nearly completed my personal statement today- took me like a 6 weeks.

i was wondering whether people have stated the lenght of there work experiance. i hve done work experiance at 2 dental sugerys and i have only mentioned one in my personal statement. i also haven't mentioned how long i did it for either

would it be a good idea to mentioned how long i did work experiance for and also mention both of my places where i did work experiance.

also i have done voluntary work at nursing homes and i haven't really got any space to mention it.

my question is should i mention one thing and then expand on it or mention loads of differnt things briefly. currently i have gone into a few things into alot of detail- have i taken the wrong approach

any help very much appreciated

:rolleyes:
thread stinks of depression...
Reply 263
Original post by Ilyas

why?
Original post by Ilyas

Original post by Ilyas

lol the application cycle isnt really a joyful thing until the offer.

i'd say the most important things to have in ur p.s is work experience! make sure u have ALL ur dental related work experience in there and expand on only a couple of things because remember the interview is ur opportunity to tell them about ur work experiences in more depth! they know that there is a word limit, so they dont expect u to talk about ur work experience thoroughly they just want an indication that u'v done work experience and understand what the profession involves.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 266
Oh don't worry I only scraped a score of 605 which is better than last year but not good enough for ukat unis!
:/
ahh im scared too...well Im hoping to apply to Leeds, Bham, Bristol and Lpool Kings wants A*s I think and they have a high Ukcat cut off. Otherwise I would have loved to study in London :frown:
Whats your back up plan?
Reply 267

Original post by conjepense
i'd say the most important things to have in ur p.s is work experience! make sure u have ALL ur dental related work experience in there and expand on only a couple of things because remember the interview is ur opportunity to tell them about ur work experiences in more depth! they know that there is a word limit, so they dont expect u to talk about ur work experience thoroughly they just want an indication that u'v done work experience and understand what the profession involves.

just to add on to what conjepense said, as much as mentioning all your dental work exp is important, make sure that your PS reads easily as well. like make sure it flows instead of having a chunk on one thing you saw and then a little bit on another. whatever you do decide to put into it, me prepared to answer anything they throw at you about it aswell.
and i agree, the interview is where your real passion and what you learnt from work exp will come through so keep something to expand on come interview time. good luckkkk :smile:
would it be wise to apply to cardiff with a ukcat score of 595.

would one consider cardiff university as ukcat nazi's

lol
Original post by Z.Shafi

Original post by Z.Shafi
Oh don't worry I only scraped a score of 605 which is better than last year but not good enough for ukat unis!
:/
ahh im scared too...well Im hoping to apply to Leeds, Bham, Bristol and Lpool Kings wants A*s I think and they have a high Ukcat cut off. Otherwise I would have loved to study in London :frown:
Whats your back up plan?

kings dont want a*s?

would it be wise to apply to cardiff with a ukcat score of 595.

would one consider cardiff university as ukcat nazi's

lol

2bh If I were you I wouldn't apply to any ukcat unis except manchester perhaps, because i'd wanna maximise my chances of simply getting into dentistry. Applying to cardiff may be a waste of a choice where you could have chosen a non ukcat uni and have a much better chance of getting in.
Reply 271
Hi Guys, I'm a graduate applying for the first time to 5-yr Dentistry and was hoping anyone could help me with the following information that I can't find on their website:

Firstly how heavily do Newcastle use the UKCAT?

Secondly do King's still look strongly at GCSEs and A-Levels regardless of graduate with a 2:1? I'm just worried because my A-Levels are quite poor.

Any help is appreciated and my stats are below.

2:1 Biomedical Sciences
Pass Immunology MSc
Currently working in Research

A-Levels - BBC (Biology, Maths, Chemistry)
GCSES - 4A*, 6As
Original post by Macpro
Hi Guys, I'm a graduate applying for the first time to 5-yr Dentistry and was hoping anyone could help me with the following information that I can't find on their website:

Firstly how heavily do Newcastle use the UKCAT?

Secondly do King's still look strongly at GCSEs and A-Levels regardless of graduate with a 2:1? I'm just worried because my A-Levels are quite poor.

Any help is appreciated and my stats are below.

2:1 Biomedical Sciences
Pass Immunology MSc
Currently working in Research

A-Levels - BBC (Biology, Maths, Chemistry)
GCSES - 4A*, 6As

what is your ukcat score
Reply 273
what is your ukcat score

Sorry forgot to quote that lol I got 655
Original post by Macpro
Sorry forgot to quote that lol I got 655

you might have a problem with kings and newcastle in all honesty due to your ukcat. however call up the university's and talk to the main admissions staff- not the secretary for the best and reliable information
Reply 275
you might have a problem with kings and newcastle in all honesty due to your ukcat. however call up the university's and talk to the main admissions staff- not the secretary for the best and reliable information

his ukcat is alright, and i thought the cut of for newcastle was 600?

deadline on saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:
Original post by kazma
his ukcat is alright, and i thought the cut of for newcastle was 600?

deadline on saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

600 deadline for newcastle??? you might be right i just assumed it will be something like 670+.

do you have any idea of sheffields ukcat cut off score

thanks and good luck with your application
Reply 277
Hi guys,
I'm a retake applicant
I got AAB (in bio and maths with a B in chem)
I really would like to study dentistry but I'm really scared at how risky it is to apply as a retake, i mean it's risky the first time round
I don't know whether to do 3 or 4 dentistry choices, because I want my back to be pharmacy, but don't know where would accept me with a dental personal statement.
My GCSE's are
English lit - A*
English lang - B
Maths - A*
History - A
Geography - A
ICT - A
Double Science - AA
Drama - B
French - B

and my UKCAT is 665, do you think thats high enough for kings sheffield or manchester?

His UKCAT is fine for kings? i got an interview with 630 ukcat last year!
Original post by conjepense
His UKCAT is fine for kings? i got an interview with 630 ukcat last year!

what where your gcse grades??? if you dont mind me asking

Quick Reply

Latest