The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Niki_girl
Pahaha? Really? In the UK rents means paying rent, like the money you pay to live somewhere every month :colondollar: omg I look stupid now... haha you'll have to adapt to the English way of expression (and sarcasm)! Definitely show them the application figures if they don't believe you, I think if anything you may have a slightly higher chance of getting in as you'll be automated allocated to a college, and then there's the pooling system.

Either way, have fun choosing (or not) a college, and good luck!

I need to British-ify my expressions now haha. Yep good luck to you too! :smile:

Original post by KatieKate

Must be an Americanism, I am disgust :P

Yeah, I think it is :P

By the way, is AS level an equivalent to grade 11?
Original post by MyselfEtAl
PLEASE will someone give me some serious advice.
I've got AAAB at AS a level, A*AAAAAAABBC at GCSE, and I'm predicted A*A*A, should I bother applying to oxford for human sciences? will they even consider me? :s-smilie:
Original post by MyselfEtAl
Yeah, I do, the entry requirements are AAA and I'm predcited higher. But everyone keeps telling me that there' a 90%+ chance of me being rejected because of my GCSE grades :/
Your GCSE grades aren't so bad! :smile: 95% of Human Science applicants are interviewed, so as long as your Personal Statement and Reference are okay, I would have thought you'll get at least an interview. And they only interview people if they have a chance at getting in... you'd 'just' need to do well at interview.
Original post by moonlight10
I need to British-ify my expressions now haha. Yep good luck to you too! :smile:

Yeah, I think it is :P

By the way, is AS level an equivalent to grade 11?

Yeah you would usually do it in what you call grade 11, but AS level is actually a qualification which is equivalent to half an AP :yes: though like APs, some people do them earlier/later etc
Original post by fluteflute
Your GCSE grades aren't so bad! :smile: 95% of Human Science applicants are interviewed, so as long as your Personal Statement and Reference are okay, I would have thought you'll get at least an interview. And they only interview people if they have a chance at getting in... you'd 'just' need to do well at interview.

is it same for computer science =/ even thou the computer science applicant have to do a math test
If your school was in special measures through your GCSEs, is this noted automatically or should it be in your reference?
Original post by Mr_Parham
is it same for computer science =/ even thou the computer science applicant have to do a math test
Well Computer Science interview a lot less people, because the aptitude test is used to narrow the field. Most important is coming in the top two thirds or so of results in the aptitude test, regardless of your GCSE results.

Original post by dancinginrainbows
If your school was in special measures through your GCSEs, is this noted automatically or should it be in your reference?
It's worth asking your teacher to mention I think. Although they definitely automatically note the average GCSE result people in your school got - which presumably is quite low.
For people applying to maths: how much wider reading have you written about in your PS? Also, have you all sent off your applications?
[I'm sorry if this has been asked but honestly with 347 pages of this I don't have the courage]

does anyone know why the start date of New College is September 2012 while the others are October 2012?
Reply 6908
Original post by Mr_Parham

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/computer_science/computer_science.html
Last year, 58.6% of applicants got interviews, and 15.0% of applicants got offers.

While I can't speak for the tutors, my impression from them is that the MAT is fairly important when it comes to getting an interview (although not the final word), but becomes much less significant after that stage. Not insignificant, just less significant.

If you have any questions about the course or anything, feel free to PM.
Original post by Fallen

While I can't speak for the tutors, my impression from them is that the MAT is fairly important when it comes to getting an interview (although not the final word)

We have an FAQ on that very subject, for prospective Computer Scientists.
Just to add more information for that stalker thing:
GCSEs: 8A*s, 3 As
A2 predictions: A*,A*,A*,A*
Reply 6911
So finally everything was sorted out and I am registered for the TSA =)
Original post by samloveshistory

Original post by samloveshistory
Just to add more information for that stalker thing:
GCSEs: 8A*s, 3 As
A2 predictions: A*,A*,A*,A*

Added it :biggrin: Thanks Sam (I assume you're called Sam... :tongue:)
Application all done, I believe. Now for TSA preparation!

Original post by fluteflute
It's worth asking your teacher to mention I think. Although they definitely automatically note the average GCSE result people in your school got - which presumably is quite low.

Thank you, once again :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
11-10-2011 (12:29) Your application has been sent to UCAS and will be processed shortly. After it has been processed, we will send you a welcome letter and a booklet in the post; they will explain what happens next. Once you have the letter, you can log in to Track at ucas.com to check the progress of your application. Log in with the Personal ID on your welcome letter as this number may have changed since sending your application.

:woo: :woo: :woo:
Reply 6915
Original post by medbh4805
11-10-2011 (12:29) Your application has been sent to UCAS and will be processed shortly. After it has been processed, we will send you a welcome letter and a booklet in the post; they will explain what happens next. Once you have the letter, you can log in to Track at ucas.com to check the progress of your application. Log in with the Personal ID on your welcome letter as this number may have changed since sending your application.

:woo: :woo: :woo:

Ditto! Such an awesome feeling coming home to that email, just hope I have many more cool emails to come home to now... :wink:
Original post by Chr0n
So finally everything was sorted out and I am registered for the TSA =)

Eeek well done Daniel! :biggrin: Finally...
When are you going to Hamburg?

I'm attempting to finish my German essay for Oxford submission tonight! Already written 827 words :s-smilie:
Still haven't gotten confirmation for my sign-up for the TSA :s-smilie:.. I'm getting stressed out over this!!
Original post by such_a_lady
I'm attempting to finish my German essay for Oxford submission tonight! Already written 827 words :s-smilie:

Oh my...written work :cry2: I completely forgot about that whilst worrying about the HAT!

Have no idea what I'm going to send or when...but I suppose it must be soon...:eek3: ahhh!!!

So jealous of my friend applying for Chemistry who now has nothing to do but wait :redface:....
I found out today that I'll be sitting the MAT in room R64, in seat A6 :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending