The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kinkerz
Perhaps not. My placement has only confirmed the fact that I'm not inclined towards surgery.

I've not had enough exposure to surgery myself (will be with GI surgeons for three weeks at some point before Christmas), but this placement is certainly confirming that I enjoy hospital medicine, hopefully ruling surgery out!
Enjoyed a pathology lecture today, there is definitely something wrong with me.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Enjoyed a pathology lecture today, there is definitely something wrong with me.

Yes, yes there is. Time will hopefully cure you.
Reply 6023
where can Ibuy stethoscopes for the lowest price?
and which model is good for a first year?
Original post by reallys
where can Ibuy stethoscopes for the lowest price?
and which model is good for a first year?

Littman Classic SE II will be fine. Will cost around £45-50. Would make sure you actually need one first tho.
Reply 6025
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Littman Classic SE II will be fine. Will cost around £45-50. Would make sure you actually need one first tho.

yeah my uni advised us to buy one.
from which website should I buy?
Original post by reallys
yeah my uni advised us to buy one.
from which website should I buy?

BMA normally give out discount codes. I doubt you'll need one before you get that.

spending time in theatre has only made me like the look of anaesthetics, i'm quite surprised as i always thought i'd be a surgical type
Reply 6028
Original post by Lantana
BMA normally give out discount codes. I doubt you'll need one before you get that.

how can I get hold of one. :biggrin:
Original post by reallys
how can I get hold of one. :biggrin:

Normally during freshers week. You'll only save a few quid though.

Any reputable medical supply website will do. E.g. medisave.
Reply 6030

amazon selling for 56
worth buying off them?
Original post by reallys
amazon selling for 56
worth buying off them?

Can't you work this out for yourself?

This. Just use the voucher, think it expires by December. I didn't use mine until actually needed to buy one - but then had to pay full price as it had expired. I bought a Littman Classic II SE and that's the standard one.

MDU gave us a mini Oxford handbook of clinical medicine for free for joining, don't think the year below got them. So incredibly useful!
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
This. Just use the voucher, think it expires by December. I didn't use mine until actually needed to buy one - but then had to pay full price as it had expired. I bought a Littman Classic II SE and that's the standard one.

MDU gave us a mini Oxford handbook of clinical medicine for free for joining, don't think the year below got them. So incredibly useful!

The MDU gave us a medical dictionary. The other group were handing out a clinical examinations handbook which is actually really good.

Wouldn't have minded an oxford handbook tho.
The BMA are giving away medical dictionaries to members who bring a friend to some event, and if you go along as a non-member you get a signed copy of K&C. Can't remember when/where, else a new copy of K&C would have come in handy next year.
FPAS is *such* a drag.
Original post by Becca-Sarah

Original post by Becca-Sarah
The BMA are giving away medical dictionaries to members who bring a friend to some event, and if you go along as a non-member you get a signed copy of K&C. Can't remember when/where, else a new copy of K&C would have come in handy next year.

BMA House 23rd November.

I deleted the email last night :p:
Original post by digitalis
FPAS is *such* a drag.

At least you know your actually applying.
Im sitting here staring at a blank application form trying to decide if this is actually what I want to do with my life and whether its worth applying this year because i sence a forced gap year coming along.
So.......... there is so much more to do this year! Only 3 weeks in, and im feeling the burn. :eek:
Original post by digitalis
FPAS is *such* a drag.

Yeah...

Latest

Trending

Trending