The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

As far as ECs go, is everyone making sure they are subject related? Or do you have some that are not related at all?
Original post by 94george94
As far as ECs go, is everyone making sure they are subject related? Or do you have some that are not related at all?

I have sent mine in already, and did a para on non-related-- Dofe, volunteering, sports (only because I played in the national champs for a sport), but I don't think it is absolutely necessary. I just didn't want to give the impression that I was just academic.

But make sure you definitely put in subject related ECs :smile:
Original post by crazy1234
I have sent mine in already, and did a para on non-related-- Dofe, volunteering, sports (only because I played in the national champs for a sport), but I don't think it is absolutely necessary. I just didn't want to give the impression that I was just academic.

But make sure you definitely put in subject related ECs :smile:

I have spoke about the volunteering and student mentoring that I have done, I hope that's enough. I didn't really feel like speaking about DofE because it seems that every has done it.
I have spoke about the volunteering and student mentoring that I have done, I hope that's enough. I didn't really feel like speaking about DofE because it seems that every has done it.

Yeah fair enough, a bit like some subject related ECs aswell, it does seem a bit overused, but I kind of linked it to volunteering as it was part of the award, i ended up with less character with DofE included so just stuck with it :smile:
Just to let you know DofE is a qualification, if you go to others under the qualification section :smile:

Yours sounds fine though, I doubt it matters that much, btw where are you applying?
Reply 3844

Doesn't matter either way, talk about both if you've got it, probably more focus on the related ones, though!
Reply 3845
Original post by economyst
No, that is the original source of the data, but whoever created that excel format has included offers made in the two pools as offers made by the college to applicants who have applied to that college, so his percentages are optimistic and places colleges in the wrong order.

btw, what do people think about posting Cambridge college along with academic profile after the deadline so we can see our comp ?

:lolwut: It's just a general idea, and shows how many offers are given out as a percentage of applicants to that college (I assume)
Original post by crazy1234
Yeah fair enough, a bit like some subject related ECs aswell, it does seem a bit overused, but I kind of linked it to volunteering as it was part of the award, i ended up with less character with DofE included so just stuck with it :smile:
Just to let you know DofE is a qualification, if you go to others under the qualification section :smile:

Yours sounds fine though, I doubt it matters that much, btw where are you applying?

UCL, (Warwick or Durham), Nottingham, Exeter, York

...Probably. :curious:
Reply 3847
Anyone applying for Bristol - Econ and Management

I'm assuming its the least competitive Econ course at Bristol since requirements are lower than the others - AAA-ABB

Anyone got an idea how competitive this course is?

Thanks
Original post by V10

I'm assuming its the least competitive Econ course at Bristol since requirements are lower than the others - AAA-ABB

Thanks

Might wanna check how many places there are

Hey what were your grades including GCSEs if you dont mind me asking?
Original post by V10

Thanks

Anything at Bristol is competitive :sadnod: but apply if you enjoy the course content!

:h:
Original post by V10

Thanks

602 applicants, 24 places - http://bristol.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/2012/sections/XECO/110/admissions

So yeah, pretty competitive!

Muhahhaha :colone: I found you on a random search ! Btw didn't know you were looking at UCL ?
Reply 3852
Original post by Tateco
Seriously? :s-smilie: It would have to have sooo many applicants for it to have the highest ratio, some colleges only have 3-5 places, Homerton has around 10...

http://i55.tinypic.com/ekrfgx.png

Where did you find this? Is it the same as the Cambridge Website?
Original post by Creeping Cucumber
Muhahhaha :colone: I found you on a random search ! Btw didn't know you were looking at UCL ?

I had a major rethink about it today. Message me on FB when you have a chance, i need to get a rant out!
Is it a bad thing to be predicted 4A*s? Does this mean your offers will be signifigantly higher than others (even at an AAB uni)?

Thanks
Nom they give out standard offers to (mostly) everyone. Being predicted 4A*'s just increases your chances of getting that standard offer.
Reply 3856
What should I apply to - Economics or Economics and Finance @ Southampton

My PS focuses just on Economics but then wouldn't that be more competitive than a joint degree?

What do I have a better chance of getting in for and which should I apply to?

Thoughts
Original post by V10
What should I apply to - Economics or Economics and Finance @ Southampton

My PS focuses just on Economics but then wouldn't that be more competitive than a joint degree?

What do I have a better chance of getting in for and which should I apply to?

Thoughts

If you aren't interested in Finance at all, don't apply, if you are interested in finance, give it a go. However, if your PS only focuses on Economics, then I would probably just go for Economics.

Good luck :biggrin:
What would you lot recommend for "safer" unis to apply to? (My other options are Cam, UCL, and Warwick)
Original post by Acerbic
What would you lot recommend for "safer" unis to apply to? (My other options are Cam, UCL, and Warwick)

It depends on your grades. I'd say Southampton, York or Birmingham?
Seeing your other options, I'd guess and say you've got good (amazing) grades? :smile:
So, maybe consider Bristol, Nottingham or Bath in addition to those?

I'd say choose one from Bristol/Notts/Bath and one from Soton/York? or 2 from the first 3 if you want to risk it? They are "safer" unis as you asked for (safer than your other choices) but not the safest, they are pretty competitive.

Latest

Trending

Trending