The Student Room Group

Need help with all things Journalism?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Original post by Graduate Recruitment Bureau
If it is relevant then sure...

I'm applying to do English, want to go into journalism after that so it should be relevant right? I'm trying to find work experience but so far nothings come up. some of the links that have been posted in this thread with opportunities for writing articles for online magazines interest me and are something i wouldn't mind doing. might just go for it anyhow its something i can write on my CV i guess...
SUB
Original post by BayBee323
I'm applying to do English, want to go into journalism after that so it should be relevant right? I'm trying to find work experience but so far nothings come up. some of the links that have been posted in this thread with opportunities for writing articles for online magazines interest me and are something i wouldn't mind doing. might just go for it anyhow its something i can write on my CV i guess...

We help aspiring journalists by giving them the opportunity to write a daily article for us or comment on these articles.
http://www.grb.uk.com/grb-journalists.0.html

Feel free to contribute if you want to test out your writing skills online...

http://www.grb.uk.com/news_archive.0.html
It is interesting reading this thread again after all these years.

I am definitely going to try and make as much contacts as possible in the media industry (preferably radio) during my last two years at university. Hopefully this will put me in good stead for when I graduate. I am already part of my University's radio station, but quite honestly I do not think this is enough.

It is tough out there , but if this is what you really want to do, why would should anyone give up? Persistence, Persistence, Persistence.
Reply 444
This thread has been really helpful, but since it has been years since it was started, I am curious if perceptions towards and/or the quality of Journalism BA degrees has changed much.

I am currently looking at a Journalism Undergraduate degree, which is accredited by the PTC but not NCTJ. However, it does include shorthand and law etc. So I was basically wondering if this would be a good idea to get into magazine journalism? I don't really want to spend three years doing something I don't want to do just so I can do a post grad Journalism course. I don't have to decide for over a year, but I was just curious as to people's opinions on the matter.
The industry is feeling the pressure just like everywhere at the moment. Starter jobs are VERY hard to come by and very low pay.

I didn't do a postgraduate course, and I haven't come up against any places that require one, but what they do always seem to ask for is 2 years relevant experience. Obviously this is a catch 22 since you can't get a job without experience and vice versa. My advice is to go at it from a different angle, gain some experience somewhere else. I'm doing a magazine for John Lewis at the moment of all places, many retailers and other industries have in-house publications so it's worth looking in to.

Online is also massive as ever, keep your blog updated as much as you can and above all enjoy writing it, because that's the main thing.
Original post by Decent_Jam
The industry is feeling the pressure just like everywhere at the moment. Starter jobs are VERY hard to come by and very low pay.

I assume you are talking about all sectors of Journalism, not just print?
I feel nice today so here is actionable advice from a BBC Journalist:

Dear [Name],

Thanks for your email. Lets start with the obvious. You are probably not
doing anything wrong. The big issue in a contracting market is how do
you gain the experience to get your first entry level position.

The reality is it is not obvious. Many people find that they have to
take short-term engagements (4-6 weeks) and these in turn build up a
portfolio of experience which can then be deployed in any direction.
The key here is paid work experience of pretty much any kind to build up
a track record. You need to favour you practical qualities as much as
your academic in your CV and applications. Journalism is a practical
business and you should not expect your degree to open many doors.
That simply reflects an expected level of intellect.

Often trying radio is an easier way in the field because there is higher
turnover of staff. Equally, independent production companies are always
looking for short-term staff.

One easy way of identifying who is in the mix right now is going through
the Radio times and looking at all the editor's and prodcution companies
that are producing programmes at the moment.

I think it fair to say that you will not get a "job" in all likelihood
for the first 18 months in the business. It will be a series of
short-term assignments which after 18 months give you enough experience
to help you apply for something long-term. A practical tip is for you
to focus on talking to people who can actually give you work rather than
talk to you about general approaches to employment in the sector. This
is where the research in the Radio Times helps.

You need a list of story ideas which potential employers might like to
make, or simply like to hear about, to show you are thinking stories.
This is a simple point but it is the currency of journalism. Without it
you have nothing of value for an effective transaction. Importantly you
need to have a sense of which stories are appropriate for which
particular programme or production company. Here again robust research
is really important. These are the skillset you already have so work
these. Think of issues you have a particular insight into a work on
developing story ideas from 1 min 30 to 60 minutes. You will very
quickly have a useful story database. Once you get in the business you
will be able pick up more technical experience.

This business needs resilience and a strong measure of good fortune.
You should not be disheartened by rejections. In 1989 I got 2 positive
responses from 125 letters sent out. One gave me some experience and
another gave me a job a year down the line! I had a BA, MSc, PhD and
LSE lectureship under my belt!!

Good luck and be persistent. It will not be easy but if its what you
really want to do you will eventually find an opening.

[Journalist]
Original post by unknown demon

A practical tip is for you
to focus on talking to people who can actually give you work rather than
talk to you about general approaches to employment in the sector. This
is where the research in the Radio Times helps.

[Journalist]

I was also told this by a producer at the BBC. He even stated that getting work experience at the BBC is not the best route for some. Apparently, they always look out to see if the work experience person could be of any benefit to them afterwards. If he/she is still in school and therefore not looking to enter full time employment, then work experience at national companies such as sky, BBC and ITN or papers such as the guardian, times, independent, etc may not be the best thing t do.
The fact that BBC want to know if you are available after a period of work experience to work full time is encouraging for graduates. Asking this at interview stage is critical as many graduates taken on for work experience can be unfairly exploited.
Reply 450
I want to do journalism or something TV/Film related. I have contacted local newspapers and once I am 18 (only 16 now) they have said they will take me on for a week of work experience. Also, my granddad used to work for ITV so I am getting work experience there in October (even though I am 16, and you must be 18). :smile:
Original post by emmily95
I want to do journalism or something TV/Film related. I have contacted local newspapers and once I am 18 (only 16 now) they have said they will take me on for a week of work experience. Also, my granddad used to work for ITV so I am getting work experience there in October (even though I am 16, and you must be 18). :smile:

That's great. Your forward planning will serve you well in the future!
I've recently featured an interview with a freelance journalist on my blog. It may be useful to some of you :-)
Get some practice by commenting on our articles or contributing your own story to me [email protected].

Make comments - http://www.grb.uk.com/news_archive.0.html
This is really helpful, and I also remember that you helped me with a thread in journalism so thanks again!

I'm applying for Geography at university 2012 but I need funding for my tuition fees (I am an international student and literally have no money to pay for uni). I want to focus my tertiary studies on environment and development and I wish to be in the environmental journalism sector in the future. Do you recommend that I contact some environmental/geography magazines (such as Geographical, or even the Independent) to see if they will help fund me if I promise to work for them after graduating? Or would that sound a bit silly?

Thanks. :smile:
Original post by pinacio
This is really helpful, and I also remember that you helped me with a thread in journalism so thanks again!

I'm applying for Geography at university 2012 but I need funding for my tuition fees (I am an international student and literally have no money to pay for uni). I want to focus my tertiary studies on environment and development and I wish to be in the environmental journalism sector in the future. Do you recommend that I contact some environmental/geography magazines (such as Geographical, or even the Independent) to see if they will help fund me if I promise to work for them after graduating? Or would that sound a bit silly?

Thanks. :smile:

Definitely. Make a shortlist of these publications and see if you can come to a win-win situation.
Definitely. Make a shortlist of these publications and see if you can come to a win-win situation.

Can you explain it in details please?
All I am trying to do is to write letters to these publications to see if they will fully sponsor me provided that I will work for them after graduating. Therefore I can only get sponsored from a single company. How likely would you think it would be possible? And, is it more likely to be sponsored by bigger companies like the Independent?

Thanks.
Original post by pinacio
Can you explain it in details please?
All I am trying to do is to write letters to these publications to see if they will fully sponsor me provided that I will work for them after graduating. Therefore I can only get sponsored from a single company. How likely would you think it would be possible? And, is it more likely to be sponsored by bigger companies like the Independent?

Thanks.

I have absolutely no idea what GRB is talking about - I'm not aware of ANY magazine that would sponsor someone's degree, quite simply because there are enough wannabe journalists out there that they can afford to pick and choose who they want to hire.

This is why journalism is such a difficult area to get into - the supply of aspiring journos completely outstrips demand.

Also, and I mean this is the nicest way, most magazines want trained, experience journalists (emphasis on the experienced) - they're not going to pay thousands of pounds on someone whose journalistic ability is pretty much unproven.

Don't give up on the journalism dream but I think you're going to have to find some other way to pay for your degree.

Sorry to be a downer..!

Are you actually basing this on anything??
Original post by crazybored
I have absolutely no idea what GRB is talking about - I'm not aware of ANY magazine that would sponsor someone's degree, quite simply because there are enough wannabe journalists out there that they can afford to pick and choose who they want to hire.

This is why journalism is such a difficult area to get into - the supply of aspiring journos completely outstrips demand.

Also, and I mean this is the nicest way, most magazines want trained, experience journalists (emphasis on the experienced) - they're not going to pay thousands of pounds on someone whose journalistic ability is pretty much unproven.

Don't give up on the journalism dream but I think you're going to have to find some other way to pay for your degree.

Sorry to be a downer..!

Are you actually basing this on anything??

Hey, thanks for the advice and don't feel sorry for that because I really appreciate it! Your argument seems really reasonable. Do you think I should not waste my time on writing to these publications then? Well I would not mind working in some other industries (and doing a NTCJ course meanwhile) before I enter the journalism sector. Shall I write to some companies that are likely to sponsor? Geography has a wide range of employers anyway! What companies do you suggest? Thanks again.
With the rejections I keep getting from journalism courses, I'm not sure I want to be a journalist anymore. I feel like I'm all that good at writing :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending