The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ape Gone Insane

Ah, I see. I don't read much classic literature. Spent years in childhood thinking that The Great Gatsby was a Dickens novel about some poor chap named Oliver. :ashamed2:

On another note, need to get watching Community. I only ever watched the first season.

The book is about a guy called d'Artagnan who goes to join the Musketeers. He loses a letter of recommendation and pisses off the Three Musketeers (Athos, Aramis and Porthos) who demand a duel, but then they all get confronted for illegal duelling and have to escape together. So if anything, it would be an awful lot more egregious if there were only three people on the poster for the Three Musketeers. :p:
Original post by Phalanges
The book is about a guy called d'Artagnan who goes to join the Musketeers. He loses a letter of recommendation and pisses off the Three Musketeers (Athos, Aramis and Porthos) who demand a duel, but then they all get confronted for illegal duelling and have to escape together. So if anything, it would be an awful lot more egregious if there were only three people on the poster for the Three Musketeers. :p:

As I recall, there were five:

Spoiler

Reply 4542
Knee deep in work. :tongue:

Watched any films recently? Last time you were here, you were contemplating watching either Memento or The Butterfly Effect.

I must say that you have an excellent memory.

I haven't watched many since then, apart from 'the town' and Colombiana and the Drive.

Any recommendations/must watch's out of all the all new movies that are out.

I got around to watching Memento which I loved, completed it this time :tongue: But didn't really like Butterfly Effect that much, just wasn't up to my liking for some reason, acting was great, would I watch it again ? No I don't think so.
Reply 4543
Original post by Guvnor
I must say that you have an excellent memory.

I haven't watched many since then, apart from 'the town' and Colombiana and the Drive.

Any recommendations/must watch's out of all the all new movies that are out.

I got around to watching Memento which I loved, completed it this time :tongue: But didn't really like Butterfly Effect that much, just wasn't up to my liking for some reason, acting was great, would I watch it again ? No I don't think so.

Really? I thought most of the acting was rubbish, to be honest...
Reply 4544
Original post by Abiraleft
Really? I thought most of the acting was rubbish, to be honest...

Well the way he went through different phases was awesome, but overall rubbish movie for me, don't know why it has such a high rating on IMBD though :holmes:
Reply 4545
Original post by Guvnor
Well the way he went through different phases was awesome, but overall rubbish movie for me, don't know why it has such a high rating on IMBD though :holmes:

Agreed. I thought the premise was interesting and had potential, but the movie itself didn't impress me very much, and had a couple of gaping holes imo.

Is it highly rated on IMDB? It's only got 30/100 on Metacritic. :tongue:
Reply 4546
Agreed. I thought the premise was interesting and had potential, but the movie itself didn't impress me very much, and had a couple of gaping holes imo.

Is it highly rated on IMDB? It's only got 30/100 on Metacritic. :tongue:

Never used Metacritic, is it any good ? I've always stuck to IMBD and rotten tomatoes but favour IMBD for some reason.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0289879/
7.8/10

Would I rate it 7.8, hell no, probably a 4 max.
Watching Tyrannosaur tonight.

Really like Paddy Considine's work so will see how he is as a director...could have gone to seen the film last week and have him do a Q&A afterwards but think the dates got mixed up...
Reply 4548
Original post by Guvnor
Never used Metacritic, is it any good ? I've always stuck to IMBD and rotten tomatoes but favour IMBD for some reason.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0289879/
7.8/10

Would I rate it 7.8, hell no, probably a 4 max.

I generally use Metacritic, and quite like it. For one thing, it's selection of critics seems to be less lax than the one on Rotten Tomatoes - the main score itself is a bit like the 'Top Critics' score on RT in that regard. Also, a system of averaging scores just makes more sense to me than indicating the percentage of critics who 'liked' it. Thirdly, I like the site design more. :colondollar:

The one big drawback of it that I've noticed so far comes when you're looking at the career average of individual: you can't look at people's careers in one capacity. So if you look at the profile of someone like George Clooney or Brad Pitt, their career scores will be a mash of all the movie scores they've acted in, directed and produced, which is a bit annoying.

ManBeast

Really like Paddy Considine's work so will see how he is as a director...could have gone to seen the film last week and have him do a Q&A afterwards but think the dates got mixed up...

Really looking forward to this; tell us how you like it. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Saw One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest last Saturday. My, how far Jack Nicholson has come! I couldn't believe the ending - I thought everything was perfectly fine, and then BAM! It was like 'OH---MY---GOD---OH-NO...' :eek: I almost felt like bursting into tears :cry:. Literally, that film is insane and disturbingly brilliant. Must say on how well Nurse Ratched was portrayed - a soft-spoken sadist - she certainly freaked me out. I could watch it again and again :biggrin:

I'd also like to comment on the debut of Danny Devito and Christopher Lloyd. I love how films can turn you from a complete unknown into a film star. Hollywood have turned out more brilliant actors and actresses than I've had hot dinners. Keep 'em comin'! :dancing2::flutterby:
Original post by ManBeast

There'd better be dinosaurs in it or I'm walking out...
Original post by Sonny_J_D
There'd better be dinosaurs in it or I'm walking out...

I was thinking of wearing my Jurassic Park t-shirt...but that would be totally lame of me!
Reply 4552
1:32 to 1:39 makes me laugh WAY more than it should. :awesome:

Original post by CrazySugarRabbit
Saw One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest last Saturday. My, how far Jack Nicholson has come! I couldn't believe the ending - I thought everything was perfectly fine, and then BAM! It was like 'OH---MY---GOD---OH-NO...' :eek: I almost felt like bursting into tears :cry:. Literally, that film is insane and disturbingly brilliant. Must say on how well Nurse Ratched was portrayed - a soft-spoken sadist - she certainly freaked me out. I could watch it again and again :biggrin:

I'd also like to comment on the debut of Danny Devito and Christopher Lloyd. I love how films can turn you from a complete unknown into a film star. Hollywood have turned out more brilliant actors and actresses than I've had hot dinners. Keep 'em comin'! :dancing2::flutterby:

I read the book before seeing the film and had to read the last chapter twice. I finished it and felt a little dazed by the whole experience. Still one of my favourite books of all time, and the film is spectacular.
Original post by pinkpenguin
I read the book before seeing the film and had to read the last chapter twice. I finished it and felt a little dazed by the whole experience. Still one of my favourite books of all time, and the film is spectacular.

I'm also planning to read the book myself, although I think already I know most of the plot. Although I think they did change little bits for the movie, so for accuracy I think I'm definitely reading that book. I can't wait to read it though :biggrin:
Now that I've seen the ending to the film, I probably won't have to read the last chapter again. It just shows you that sometimes its better to read the book first before you watch the film. I regret not reading the Harry Potter books now that I've seen all the films :frown:
Reply 4555
Killer Elite is really quite poor.

Original post by CrazySugarRabbit
I'm also planning to read the book myself, although I think already I know most of the plot. Although I think they did change little bits for the movie, so for accuracy I think I'm definitely reading that book. I can't wait to read it though :biggrin:
Now that I've seen the ending to the film, I probably won't have to read the last chapter again. It just shows you that sometimes its better to read the book first before you watch the film. I regret not reading the Harry Potter books now that I've seen all the films :frown:

Welcome to TSR! :biggrin: The book is a very different experience to the movie, mainly because in the book, the story is narrated from the perspective of The Chief (while the movie uses a detached overview). I would definitely recommend the book regardless of whether or not you've watched the film.
Killer Elite is really quite poor.

I thought it might be. Par for the course with Statham, but we expect a bit better from De Niro and Owen.
Feeling a bit of Any Given Sunday tonight :awesome:
2011 film catch up ongoing, saw Hanna the other day, The Adjustment bureau as well - had a mixed reaction to it I like Matt Damon in lead roles but I thought it would be more sci-fi and not as much romance as it's been criticised for, not a bad film though
Birthday. :pierre: Going to watch 2 films. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and ... ? Any suggestions?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending