The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amandacalifornia

x

I'll reply in the Ask a Christian thread as I don't want to high jack this one with formal discussion. :smile: Sorry for invading the thread by the way guys :redface:
Original post by gltw
Was Peter the first Pope?

Christ’s commission to Peter was to become chief minister to the CIRCUMCISED, not to uncircumcised Gentiles.

Galatians 2:7 -
"But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as [the gospel] of the circumcision [was] unto Peter;"

So it was Paul not peter who was to be the chief apostle to the Gentiles

Galatians 2:9 -
"And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we [should go] unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision."

Paul also mentioned his special office as the Gentile Apostle

2 Timothy 1:11 -
"Where unto I am appointed a preacher, and an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles."

PETER is NOWHERE called the Apostle to the Gentiles! This precludes him from going to Rome to become the head of a Gentile community.

Paul specifically told the Gentile Romans that HE had been chosen to be their Apostle, not Peter.

Romans 15:16 -
"That I should be the minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, ministering the gospel of God, that the offering up of the Gentiles might be acceptable, being sanctified by the Holy Ghost."

Paul was told directly by Christ to minister to the Gentiles.

Romans 15:18-

"For I will not dare to speak of any of those things which Christ hath not wrought by me, to make the Gentiles obedient, by word and deed,"

PAUL Established the Only TRUE Church at Rome during the apostolic era.
[*]Paul told us he is specifically going to establish the Roman Church.

Romans 1:11 -
"For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established;"

So it is clear there was no established Church before this was written (55-56AD). But the Catholic Church states Peter leading the Catholic church in Rome in 45AD. How could he lead a church that according to Paul and the scriptures had not yet began? It is impossible for Perter to be leading any Church in Rome at the timehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistle_to_the_Romans#Dating
[*]Romans 15:20 -
"Yea, so have I strived to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build upon another man's foundation:"

If this was written ten years after Peter was leading the church it would have a real affront to Peter. Therefore he could not have been in Rome leading any Church there at this time.
[*]Romans 16 - Paul greets nearly 30 people yet not once does he mention Peter. This was written at 55AD. Why would he leave out the, supposed, most important person - He was not there.
[*]Some four years after Paul wrote Romans, he was conveyed as a prisoner to Rome in order to stand trial before Caesar. When the Christian community in Rome heard of Paul’s arrival, they all went to meet him. "When THE brethren [of Rome] heard of us, they came to meet us" (Acts 28:15). Again, there is not a single mention of Peter among them. This would have been extraordinary had Peter been in Rome, for Luke always mentions by name important Apostles in his narration of Acts. But he says nothing of Peter’s meeting with Paul.

Why? Because Peter was not in Rome!
[*]The Apostle Paul distinctly informs us that Peter was not in Rome in 65 A.D. -- even though Catholics say he was. Paul said: "Only Luke is with me" (II Tim. 4:11). The truth becomes very plain. Paul wrote TO Rome; he had been IN Rome; and at the end wrote at least six epistles FROM Rome; and not only does he NEVER mention Peter, but at the last moment says: "Only Luke is with me." Peter, therefore, was never Bishop of Rome!

Should there be a Pope, No
Matthew 20:25-26 -
But Jesus called them [unto him], and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them
But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister;"

Please take your anti-Catholicism out of the Catholic Society and over to 'Ask a Christian'. Your rants are not welcome here :nah:
Reply 3362
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Please take your anti-Catholicism out of the Catholic Society and over to 'Ask a Christian'. Your rants are not welcome here :nah:

Moved it for you. I had been wondering about that post, to be honest.

If you get any more like that, just use the report button. I am subscribed to here so will check regularly, though.
Original post by Hylean
Moved it for you. I had been wondering about that post, to be honest.

If you get any more like that, just use the report button. I am subscribed to here so will check regularly, though.

Thank you :jebus:
Reply 3364

Sorry, I thought the best place would be a Catholic Society. They would be able to answer me.

I didn't think it was a rant.:colondollar:
Hi there everyone,

So my atheist mates have shown me 'Chick Tracts' and having gone through some of them, I can refute a lot of their claims (such as the KJV is the only true Bible etc), and I am a Christian, so was just wondering how you guys would refute this?

Click here

As I said, I believe we are all brothers and sisters in Christ, and for my own knowledge would like to know your opinion on this. I was actually born into the Catholic faith and received first Holy Communion and a Confirmation name :smile: If you want to PM me your answer, I would love to read it! If this is an inappropriate post, I am so sorry, please delete. Otherwise, you can find me in the Christian Soc :smile:

:jebus:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lovers in japan
Hi there everyone,

So my atheist mates have shown me 'Chick Tracts' and having gone through some of them, I can refute a lot of their claims (such as the KJV is the only true Bible etc), and I am a Christian, so was just wondering how you guys would refute this?

Click here

As I said, I believe we are all brothers and sisters in Christ, and for my own knowledge would like to know your opinion on this. I was actually born into the Catholic faith and received first Holy Communion and a Confirmation name :smile: If you want to PM me your answer, I would love to read it! If this is an inappropriate post, I am so sorry, please delete. Otherwise, you can find me in the Christian Soc :smile:

:jebus:

I'm curious, are you a Catholic trying to find greater understanding :confused:

Secondly I've had a quick look at that and I have a mental re-buttal, it mostly focuses on taking scripture out of context and poor translations but I'll get a written rebuttal done in the next few days.

Also just seen the troll post. Biggest :facepalm2: I've ever seen.
Hi there everyone,

Click here

How strange that atheist friends would give you tracts designed to convert people to biblical fundamentalism and are well-known for specifically targeting Catholics. Just so you know, in America that publishing company is officially designated as a hate group by the SPLC. The man who publishes them is sloppy (to be kind) about truth in theology and history. He also writes that the Vatican keeps the name of every Protestant in a big computer, that Catholics created Islam as a satanic plot, Jesuits assassinated Abraham Lincoln and started the Civil War, Jesuits coached the founders of Communism, that Jesuits are behind every major plot in modern history, that demons are literally all behind the church, etc.

You can find refutations here: http://archive.catholic.com/library/sr_chick_tracts_p5.asp. Also a google search will show you plenty of other ones. This isn't really the place for debate, but if you have any specific theological questions I believe you can ask. But please don't post those comics as they are offensive and full of lies or misrepresentations. :smile:
Theological questions kinda belong more in 'Ask a Christian' really :ninja:

How strange that atheist friends would give you tracts designed to convert people to biblical fundamentalism and are well-known for specifically targeting Catholics. Just so you know, in America that publishing company is officially designated as a hate group by the SPLC. The man who publishes them is sloppy (to be kind) about truth in theology and history. He also writes that the Vatican keeps the name of every Protestant in a big computer, that Catholics created Islam as a satanic plot, Jesuits assassinated Abraham Lincoln and started the Civil War, Jesuits coached the founders of Communism, that Jesuits are behind every major plot in modern history, that demons are literally all behind the church, etc.

You can find refutations here: http://archive.catholic.com/library/sr_chick_tracts_p5.asp. Also a google search will show you plenty of other ones. This isn't really the place for debate, but if you have any specific theological questions I believe you can ask. But please don't post those comics as they are offensive and full of lies or misrepresentations. :smile:

Thanks so much for the link! I won't bother you guys again, sorry if I posted in the wrong place!
Thanks so much for the link! I won't bother you guys again, sorry if I posted in the wrong place!

Wow! Wish I'd known about that link. I was planning on writing a massive essay. Glad it's been done for me and far better than I could do as well :redface:

EDIT: I'm curious, you said you recieved the Bl. Sacrament and the Sacrament of Confirmation so are you now in a different Church?

Oh and guys, me and some fellow Catholics have been doing some amazing stuff up here. News to follow :ninja:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by adamrules247

Wow! Wish I'd known about that link. I was planning on writing a massive essay. Glad it's been done for me and far better than I could do as well :redface:

EDIT: I'm curious, you said you recieved the Bl. Sacrament and the Sacrament of Confirmation so are you now in a different Church?

Oh and guys, me and some fellow Catholics have been doing some amazing stuff up here. News to follow :ninja:

Yes, no particular reason why I stopped attending Church, I just have ended up going to a Protestant church now. But we're all brothers and sisters in Christ :smile:
Anyways! The news Ive been meaning to share with you. Basically this week a small group of us (which is already growing) are basically walking the streets of Dundee praying the Rosary and the Chaplet of the Divine Mercy and then all attending Daily Mass. We're doing this everyday and it's GREAT fun :woo:
Anyways! The news Ive been meaning to share with you. Basically this week a small group of us (which is already growing) are basically walking the streets of Dundee praying the Rosary and the Chaplet of the Divine Mercy and then all attending Daily Mass. We're doing this everyday and it's GREAT fun :woo:

Wow! Everyday? That's dedication! :eek:
Wow! Everyday? That's dedication! :eek:

Yep :yep: Well it's not really dedication :colondollar: Just some friends wanting to express their relationship with Jesus and Mary. It's great though, we started with three on Monday and now have five. And we know some other people who'll probably come. It looks like Mass will be an everyday thing as we've had a priest say that he might do daily Mass in a chapel at his house :biggrin:
Yep :yep: Well it's not really dedication :colondollar: Just some friends wanting to express their relationship with Jesus and Mary. It's great though, we started with three on Monday and now have five. And we know some other people who'll probably come. It looks like Mass will be an everyday thing as we've had a priest say that he might do daily Mass in a chapel at his house :biggrin:

That's quite an impressive way of expressing those relationships though :yes: That's great about the possibility of Mass everyday :woo:
That's quite an impressive way of expressing those relationships though :yes: That's great about the possibility of Mass everyday :woo:

It sure is :yep: The only problem we've had is that Mass at the Cathedral is at 10 (when some of us have lectures) and the place that does Daily Mass at 9 doesn't do it "daily"; only every other days. We reckon he'll do Daily Mass though because he's a very orthodox Polish priest. He actually wears a cassock with a shouler cape :awesome:
It sure is :yep: The only problem we've had is that Mass at the Cathedral is at 10 (when some of us have lectures) and the place that does Daily Mass at 9 doesn't do it "daily"; only every other days. We reckon he'll do Daily Mass though because he's a very orthodox Polish priest. He actually wears a cassock with a shouler cape :awesome:

He sounds like the right sort of person for you and your friends to be associating :smile:
He sounds like the right sort of person for you and your friends to be associating :smile:

Exactly. His Church is stunning though. It's one the oldest Catholic Churches in Dundee. Stunning high altar. Stations of the Cross are all massive oil paintings as well. He's also, I learnt from one of my friends, an excellent confessor :yep:

Here's some pictures of the Church from the Easter vigel. Take a look at some of those and you'll agree how beautiful it is :woo: More stuff here.

EDIT: We only learnt about it last night when I attended an ordination to the Deaconite there.
(edited 12 years ago)
Exactly. His Church is stunning though. It's one the oldest Catholic Churches in Dundee. Stunning high altar. Stations of the Cross are all massive oil paintings as well. He's also, I learnt from one of my friends, an excellent confessor :yep:

Here's some pictures of the Church from the Easter vigel. Take a look at some of those and you'll agree how beautiful it is :woo: More stuff here.

EDIT: We only learnt about it last night when I attended an ordination to the Deaconite there.

That's great to learn he's an excellent confessor :yes:

My confessor had to cancel on me on Weds :frown: Must rearrange :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest