The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6980
Original post by Chr0n
So how did you answere them :redface:

Not very well at all! Make sure you revise the stuff you have covered at AS, this is definitely true for the Economics interview(assuming you have done maths at AS). Differentiation and its application to problems come up. Know how to work out min. max. turning points etc. Also know how to sketch graphs from word problems only.

Politics was a bit strange, and when I think about it, I was being very naive in believing my argument was right and that they were wrong :P. I sort of argued that you cannot be held responsible for a crime that your forefathers had commited (slavery and the like). I didn't produce any coherent arguments at all. That's what they're looking for, and when they challenge you, see if they're right. No use continuing into a dark cave.

My Philosophy interview was rubbish. It was all sentence structures and spotting flaws in arguments. Didn't prepare for it at all.

If you have any further questions, I'd be happy to try and help. :smile:
Reply 6981
Original post by hannahwhelan
I'm not really doing much for it, to be honest. You can't really prepare for it as such, just have a look over the past paper example
yeah, but they've given just ONE example paper!! can you believe it?!!
and practice your close-reading skills :smile:

now, any suggestions to improve that?
Original post by pai2502
Immediate Attention!! All those taking ELAT next month:cry2::cry2:, how are you going about it? Freaked out( like me, coz i am an international) or chilling out?

I'm not taking the ELAT, but I'm freaking out about the MLAT!
I've been doing 2/3 'Oxford' (made by my French tutor who went to Oxford) grammar tests a week, sticking my head in a grammar books for hours on end and generally panicking... and not getting much sleep.

:rolleyes:
Reply 6983
Original post by Hattie
ahhh cool, st johns is on the main road into the city, apparently theres a little path behind to the labs which would be handy haha :smile:

I just applied to St Johns! Was really excited but then I just read some reviews and they said "Don't apply there if aesthetics are important to you!". I haven't actually visited St Johns.. does anyone know what its like? Is it actually a really 'ugly' college?!
Original post by Grenville
St. John's, both Oxford and Durham :P

How consistent of you :biggrin: I'm a hopeful Hertfordian :giggle:.

Well, trying to stay hopeful. :frown:

:daydreaming:
Reply 6985
Original post by The_0001
Not very well at all! Make sure you revise the stuff you have covered at AS, this is definitely true for the Economics interview(assuming you have done maths at AS). Differentiation and its application to problems come up. Know how to work out min. max. turning points etc. Also know how to sketch graphs from word problems only.

oO I absolutely didn't think they would bring up differentiation in an interview... Thanks for the info! I talked about the debt crisis so I guess it's going to be about that, maths and game theory something like that.

My Philosophy interview was rubbish. It was all sentence structures and spotting flaws in arguments. Didn't prepare for it at all.

Kinda like the TSA stuff?

If you have any further questions, I'd be happy to try and help. :smile:

Can't think of any right now, but I'll definitely get back to it. Thank you =)

May I ask where you ended up?
Original post by pai2502
yeah, but they've given just ONE example paper!! can you believe it?!!

now, any suggestions to improve that?

I know, it's horrible! :frown: I just hope the actual exam isn't too horrendous, I'd hate to open the paper and just sit there looking perplexed for the entire 90mins.

Just practice reading and analysing texts :smile: That's all you can do, really, aside from brushing up on critical vocabulary etc.
Original post by Banoffeepie16
How consistent of you :biggrin: I'm a hopeful Hertfordian :giggle:.

Well, trying to stay hopeful. :frown:

:daydreaming:

Haha, I had a reason for St. John's Oxford, but SJC Durham was a bit of a random choice :P Yep, everyone is hopeful...
Original post by fluteflute
Yep, it's C2... except for A level you don't have to remember many formulae, you get a massive formula (and statistical tables) booklet.

:rant: You don't get given any formulae in Advanced Higher maths. And the entire grade is decided based on one three-hour exam at the end of the year. (Though as I got my A band 1 I can't really complain.)

Admissions tests in 3 weeks today... :woo:

When I saw this my mouth quite literally did this - :eek:. ****.
Admissions tests in 3 weeks today... :woo:

shhhhh
Original post by anyone_can_fly
:rant: You don't get given any formulae in Advanced Higher maths. And the entire grade is decided based on one three-hour exam at the end of the year. (Though as I got my A band 1 I can't really complain.)

to be honest, you guys actually do have it much harder than us :colonhash:
Reply 6991
Original post by Chr0n
oO I absolutely didn't think they would bring up differentiation in an interview... Thanks for the info! I talked about the debt crisis so I guess it's going to be about that, maths and game theory something like that.

Kinda like the TSA stuff?

Can't think of any right now, but I'll definitely get back to it. Thank you =)

May I ask where you ended up?

Yeah differentiation and drawing graphs came up. They don't even read your PS until literally 2 minutes before your interview. They asked me one question about my PS.

For Philosophy, one question I had was. "There is a white dot in the distance, the white dot is my house, I live inside my house, therefore I live inside a white dot. Is that correct?" Stuff like that :smile:.

I didn't get into a uni this year. Got ABC at A level(problems at home :frown:). Applying for uni again this year, though not for PPE nor at Oxford.

Yeah, give me a shout whenever mate.
(edited 12 years ago)
Are there any MLAT papers online? It seems interesting.
Original post by pai2502

Original post by pai2502
Immediate Attention!! All those taking ELAT next month:cry2::cry2:, how are you going about it? Freaked out( like me, coz i am an international) or chilling out?

Bit of both... because it's something you can't really revise for eeeeep :\ Good luck all ELAT candidates, the test in itself is an achievement :wink:
Jenny- stop worrying. You will be fine. I reckon you're a dead cert, seriously. I wish my teachers had gone to Oxford :rolleyes: The Spanish teacher helping me is decidedly anti-Oxbridge, which is fun. I also wish they had time to make their own tests for me. When I finish the archived ones (which I think I already have for German), that's it. No one's organised mock interviews yet, but hopefully it'll get there. Relax, you're amazing, and if you don't get a place, none of the other MFL applicants, including me, will do either! :biggrin:
Reply 6995
A-Level predictions are completely stupid and I'm sure Oxford take them with a pinch of salt
I have a "mock interview" tomorrow, but as it's with somebody who hasn't done any maths since leaving school I am doubtful that it will be either:
a) anything like a real one
b) remotely helpful.

:rolleyes: Ah well.
Reply 6997
how soon did you all get an acknowledgement email after sending off ucas?

Applied for maths :smile:
Original post by FernF
how soon did you all get an acknowledgement email after sending off ucas?

Applied for maths :smile:

Not got one yet and I sent my form off just over two weeks ago. Oh, and maths high five! :biggrin:
11 hours!!! Eeek. My personal statement stilk has issues :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending