The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Opinions on SSEES

I've received an offer for History at SSEES and was wondering what the general opinion on the department is?
When I went for my interview, it seemed that it was in its own little world and a bit isolated from the rest of the uni, is this the case?
Also, is the history degree looked down on by people doing history at UCL?
It is kind of it's own little corner of the campus but that's not really a constraint. You'll meet plenty of non SSES people if you want in halls etc. It's kind of like having a parallel university to jump to and from if you want to. The SSESS course is quite different from the UCL course though. The Department is well regarded for its niche in history but it depends if that is what you're interested in. Anecdotally, it's a lot easier to get a 2.1 or a 1st in SSESS than it is in the normal history department. I'm rambling now so just ask if you have any other questions (I'm a 'normal' historian as opposed to a SSESS one though.)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
How much central/eastern european history should there be in my personal statement if I want to apply to this course? Also, how many of the modules can be done from the normal history course.
Reply 3
Original post by chelsea89
How much central/eastern european history should there be in my personal statement if I want to apply to this course? Also, how many of the modules can be done from the normal history course.

Im applying for the V101 and the V100 (quite optimistically). My ultimate outcome would be an offer from both but I would be content with the V101 as I'm majorly interested in Russian/ Eastern European history. I mentioned bits about Germany and Russia in my PS. It would be good if you could talk about extra reading in the area maybe.
Reply 4
I have a few friends and acquaintances there and I wouldn't say it's isolated at all - if nothing else, the main cafeteria is in the main campus :tongue: and such people hold positions in uni-wide societies.

Quite interestingly, my Arabic Language (!!!) lessons are held in SSEES (but only because of the availability of the classrooms), so it's not like another dimension or whatever...
Original post by hot dog
I've received an offer for History at SSEES and was wondering what the general opinion on the department is?
When I went for my interview, it seemed that it was in its own little world and a bit isolated from the rest of the uni, is this the case?
Also, is the history degree looked down on by people doing history at UCL?

Seems pretty decent. Good social life. People don't look down on it.

I know someone doing History living with someone doing SSEES Politics.

Definitely not isolated, you get TONS of options and can share courses with loads of others.

Only thing I'd say is contact time is good, but overall hours are pretty low.
I'm a Second year in SSEES. Makes no difference whatsoever. Its just a department, no different than studying French at the language center as an optional module, compared to someone studying French in the French department.

If anythings its a bonus, you get all the UCL stuff, plus SSEES do their own Careers stuff and events etc.
Reply 7
I like SSEES. The administration is terrible, but the faculty are great (and that's what counts after all). Yes, it does have its own atmosphere with its own library, sports clubs etc. But, it's also very much part of UCL. It's next door to other UCL buildings and is only around the corner (literally) from the main 'campus' and union etc, it's nearer the union than many parts of the main campus 60-90 second walk to the cafe/bars etc. So, really you get the best of UCL and a bit extra.

You should definitely be interested in eastern European history though, as that is understandably the focus. But, if you study the straight history degree at SSEES you have quite a lot of flexibility in taking units at other departments at UCL (e.g. the 'other' History department). Some people will occasionally (snobbishly) look down on SSEES history compared with UCL history, but I think that is mainly because of the slightly lower entry requirements; but remember, entry requirements are as much set by demand as anything else. It's kind of how some people look down on UCL compared to Oxbridge. It doesn't make UCL a bad university!
Reply 8
For Studies relating to Central and Eastern Europe it is one of the best going - the academics you may encounter are some of the best in their respective fields - i've been at SSEES for 4 years now, and i couldn't recommend it any higher.

As to its reputation within UCL, i've come across the odd one or two snide remarks about SSEES, but nothing major. Each dept. has its own stereotypes, SSEES' tends to be the abundance of wealthy East-Europeans and an abundance of fur in the colder months...

At the end of it, you get a degree from UCL - which is reputable in itself, so i wouldn't worry.
Reply 9
Original post by ukr-nffc
For Studies relating to Central and Eastern Europe it is one of the best going - the academics you may encounter are some of the best in their respective fields - i've been at SSEES for 4 years now, and i couldn't recommend it any higher.

As to its reputation within UCL, i've come across the odd one or two snide remarks about SSEES, but nothing major. Each dept. has its own stereotypes, SSEES' tends to be the abundance of wealthy East-Europeans and an abundance of fur in the colder months...

At the end of it, you get a degree from UCL - which is reputable in itself, so i wouldn't worry.

hate to sound stalkerish but I'm applying for politics and east european studies! would you mind sharing your academics? I reallllyyyy want an offer!

Thankssss :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Azza919
hate to sound stalkerish but I'm applying for politics and east european studies! would you mind sharing your academics? I reallllyyyy want an offer!

Thankssss :smile:

PM :smile:
Reply 11
Hi all,I have received an offer for the MA in Comparative Economics and Policy at SSEES, do you know anybody who took that course? How is it?I have also been accepted at Sciences Po for International Economic Policy, and I am quite undecided now.Any comment would be appreciated, thanks!
where did you end up going? :biggrin:
Original post by CriCri
Hi all,I have received an offer for the MA in Comparative Economics and Policy at SSEES, do you know anybody who took that course? How is it?I have also been accepted at Sciences Po for International Economic Policy, and I am quite undecided now.Any comment would be appreciated, thanks!
Is a degree from SSEES less prestigious than other departments within UCL? I’m an offer holder for HPE.
Original post by archiemorris_
Is a degree from SSEES less prestigious than other departments within UCL? I’m an offer holder for HPE.

did you end up going? I'm an offer holder on the same course, considering whether I'd want to take it or not :smile:
Original post by chocoorange14
did you end up going? I'm an offer holder on the same course, considering whether I'd want to take it or not :smile:

Same! Really conflicted rn lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending