The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 680
Original post by tobnot
I'm going to track my head down tomorrow, because it won't be sent on Saturday!

It can't be sent on Saturday otherwise that's a definite four rejections!

Edit: Oh sorry! I didn't realise that its only the 13th!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by tobnot
I'm going to track my head down tomorrow, because it won't be sent on Saturday!

My UCAS "person"/referee says she would still send it on saturday if she has to. She wanted it to be sent today, but my maths teacher has been a prick, and so it can't be done. So it has to be sent tomorrow!
I can't wait until all this is over, but then the waiting to hear back will kill me instead!

Original post by Tzarchasm
Can't apply to Leeds through the A2L programme. :frown:

Unfortunately, they want the A in chemistry.

Do you have predicted grades or are you a re-applicant?
Because there was someone further back in this thread who applied with predictions of BBB and still got an offer.
Original post by Ally312
My UCAS "person"/referee says she would still send it on saturday if she has to. She wanted it to be sent today, but my maths teacher has been a prick, and so it can't be done. So it has to be sent tomorrow!
I can't wait until all this is over, but then the waiting to hear back will kill me instead!

Do you have predicted grades or are you a re-applicant?
Because there was someone further back in this thread who applied with predictions of BBB and still got an offer.

Re-applicant. Achieved AAB, with two marks away from an A in chemistry.
Original post by Aiboz
It can't be sent on Saturday otherwise that's a definite four rejections!

Really? Why? Because last year people applied on the last day of the deadline and still got in from TSR.

Re-applicant. Achieved AAB, with two marks away from an A in chemistry.

Mention it in the form. There is really no harm in trying.
Original post by Ally312
Really? Why? Because last year people applied on the last day of the deadline and still got in from TSR.

Mention it in the form. There is really no harm in trying.

I explained my situation through email. There was apparently nothing that can be done.
I explained my situation through email. There was apparently nothing that can be done.

I'm sorry. Do you think that if you rang them up and got a second opinion that they might consider? Or do you have other options for Medicine?
Reply 686

Really, crap I've sent my application. :frown:
Reply 687
Original post by Ally312

Sorry for worrying you, my mistake! I didn't realise today is the 13th! I thought it was the 14th! It should be fine. :smile:
Original post by Besakt
Really, crap I've sent my application. :frown:

Someone got in with predictions of BBB so it might be alright. :smile:

Original post by Aiboz
Sorry for worrying you, my mistake! I didn't realise today is the 13th! I thought it was the 14th! It should be fine. :smile:

Haha, that's alright :biggrin:
Original post by Dr dolittlee
Hey, was the interview like a med interview ? or was it different. I am applying there as a back up. : /

exactly like a medicine interview to be honest as they know you want to do medicine from your Personal Statement. Its a very good choice for a backup and i think if you meet the criteria you defintately get an interview so you need to nail it!!

hey, for the A2L programme, do you have to be living in LEEDS or can you be living anywhere in the uk as i live in greater manchester so will my application be condired for the programme? I got BBC last year due to extenuating circumstaces when i was predicted AAA. i rang leed and they said they would consider my application as i applied to them last year. Ive also applied for 2 foundation medicine courses and they said they would disregard my resits as ive met the grades in the 1st sitting. I am predicted A*A*A this year so could i still get into a foundation course as my chances are very slim.... :frown:
Original post by cobra2k10
hey, for the A2L programme, do you have to be living in LEEDS or can you be living anywhere in the uk as i live in greater manchester so will my application be condired for the programme? I got BBC last year due to extenuating circumstaces when i was predicted AAA. i rang leed and they said they would consider my application as i applied to them last year. Ive also applied for 2 foundation medicine courses and they said they would disregard my resits as ive met the grades in the 1st sitting. I am predicted A*A*A this year so could i still get into a foundation course as my chances are very slim.... :frown:

You can be from anywhere in order to apply to the A2L programme (call them up to make sure though!).

Wow, you're very lucky. All the foundation courses wouldn't consider me if I resat, even though I achieved AAB first sitting.

It seems like there's a supernatural barrier preventing me from getting into medicine. :redface:
Reply 692
Original post by xcoral23
Guys I have make a massive decision tonight:

To put it briefly, at the moment I am working 55 hours a week (2 jobs)..I get up at 6am and I don't get home until 7pm everyday except Sundays. I am an entire module behind in my distant learning Chemistry than the college, I also am way behind on my practicals due to my operations and starting a new job ect..

I am also trying to pretty much retake Biology and AS Chemistry and I just can't cope mentally or physically with the work load at the moment (being type 1 diabetic and severely anemic), I am getting depressed, don't see my friends any more, my relationship is suffering and I am becoming a person I really don't want to be (it doesn't help that I REALLY dislike both my jobs!) I am also dealing with rather difficult family issues at the moment relating to the health of my mum..

I can't do the following:
1) Work under 45 hours per week as I have to financially look after myself and help my mum as she is off work at the moment
2) I cannot carry on like this. I am 19 years old and I am very, very unhappy with my life... I think I have pushed myself too far this year (doesn't help that I am royally ****e at Chemistry)

Seeing as even with A2 Chemistry, this year I would only be able to apply to Soton and Nottingham and in all honesty as difficult as it is to admit, I am not in the right state to tackle such a demanding career at the moment. I think my health has a significant affect on my life i.e. complete lack of energy, constant high and low sugar levels due to stress and very suppressed immune system..

BTW these are not excuses! If any of you guys knew me in person and how hard I have fought to get to where I am now and for Medicine you would understand how difficult this decision was to make and I genuinely feel like a failure..

Because of these reasons I have put a hold on Medicine. I am applying to study Nursing this year where my body is more likely to cope with the course. I have an interest in Nursing also and I am rather happy that I have finally made a decision that has probably saved me from breaking down this year..

I have my life ahead of me and who knows, maybe in the future I will be physically ready for Medicine and return back to it, but for the moment, my life is leading me towards a new (less stressful) path..

I am going to keep an eye on this thread throughout the application process and make sure you guys are all ok and see who gets in ect.. I wish all of you all the luck in the world with Medicine and our paths may meet again in the future (plus I'm applying to do Nursing at Southampton so maybe sooner rather than later :smile: )

For all of those who don't understand how I have "given up" like this - I have not given up, I have just found another path to take and as I said before, if you knew me personally you would understand..

:smile:

Ah I'm really sorry to hear about this :frown: Sorry for the late reply....... I'm not a great person to keep in contact unless its linked up to my phone :frown: I honestly feel for you and I hope the best of wishes for you! You seem a really nice and genuine person and just the fact you started this thread shows you're a really committed person :smile: Hopefully we will get to meet at uni if we end up at the same place :P Please keep us updated on how it goes :smile:
Reply 693
Original post by ll94
Same :smile: I just hope that they dont reject me before they get the access to leeds form and they actually take that into consideration because id probably get an outright rejection with my predicted grades. It looks like such a nice medical school and id love to have the chance to be able to do the 5 year course as well :smile:

I got SOOOOO WORRIED about this!!!! I emailed them and it took them 4 days to get back to me...... Was meant to send off application this morning at 8am with head of sixth form but computer crashed so we said later in afternoon....... Leeds rang me up later that morning to tell me that my application wouldn't get rejected just like that with predicted AAB...... Perfect timing really :biggrin: so changed my options like LAST LAST minute :biggrin:
Reply 694
Original post by tobnot
Has anyone else not sent off their application yet?

I'm starting to panic because mine is caught up at school. My reference has been done but it's a rule at my school that the head has to check every application before it's sent, and this still hasn't been done with 2 days left till the deadline!!! :s-smilie:

Don't worry I had to keep chasing to get mine done. My reference was only started yesterday and they sent it today....... Keep chasing to get on their case :smile: Was meant to send in morning but computer crashed and well turned out to be better for me in the end :biggrin: Once your application is done UCAS will email you back to say that it will take up to 48 hours to contaact your uni's telling them your choices (just to let you know whats coming :P)
Reply 695

not true? rang them up today and they want you to complete the essays...... If you pass your offer is reduced to ABB, but no specifics in which one it is......
Original post by Granny11
not true? rang them up today and they want you to complete the essays...... If you pass your offer is reduced to ABB, but no specifics in which one it is......

Hi (my name)

The Access to Leeds offer for Medicine would be ABB with an A in Chemistry, therefore if you achieved a B in your A levels, then unfortunately you have missed the offer.

Kind Regards

(The wonderful respondent)
Access Academy Assistant (Access to Leeds)
0113 343 8952

Access & Community Engagement
University of Leeds
Leeds
LS2 9JT
Reply 697
Hi (my name)

The Access to Leeds offer for Medicine would be ABB with an A in Chemistry, therefore if you achieved a B in your A levels, then unfortunately you have missed the offer.

Kind Regards

(The wonderful respondent)
Access Academy Assistant (Access to Leeds)
0113 343 8952

Access & Community Engagement
University of Leeds
Leeds
LS2 9JT

Crap thats one straight rejection. :frown:
Original post by Besakt
Crap thats one straight rejection. :frown:

It could be completely different for you though. You still have the potential to achieve an A, whereas I have lost the chance to do so (unless I resit, which I'm not planning to do).

EDIT: So even though you have a B prediction, they might still give you an offer of ABB.
Reply 699
It could be completely different for you though. You still have the potential to achieve an A, whereas I have lost the chance to do so (unless I resit, which I'm not planning to do).

EDIT: So even though you have a B prediction, they might still give you an offer of ABB.

My predictions are AAB with the B in chemistry D'oh.

I was really annoyed with it considering a person who got a C at AS got predicted an A in chemistry, I got a B at AS and got predicted a B. Arguing that the teacher had a favourite student with the teacher didn't help my cause. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending