The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1900
Original post by ben-smith
Warwick decided to send me a second acknowledgement with no text, just an empty message:s-smilie:

Same, I have got all my acknowledgements now except for bloody imperial.
Reply 1901
Are you going to take STEP, even if it is just for the lulz?

Probably. Definitely will take it if I get an Oxford rejection (which is quite likely:wink:).
Original post by twig
Probably. Definitely will take it if I get an Oxford rejection (which is quite likely:wink:).

What sort of attitude is that?!:tongue:
Right, so does anyone know if either Imperial/UCL/Bristol commonly do math interviews? UCAS mentioned UCL may, but then the UCL admissions site said it's not likely. UCAS said nothing about Imperial, and they DO commonly interview applicants. So I'm just really confused. Can anyone clear this up.

Are you going to take STEP, even if it is just for the lulz?

LOL for the 'lulz', I love that. Yes, I'm taking STEP for the lulz >.>
Reply 1904
Original post by cpdavis
How's UCL coming along? :colone:

Maths - hard and not really that fun.
Everything else - great.

How's Kings?
Reply 1905
Original post by snow leopard
Right, so does anyone know if either Imperial/UCL/Bristol commonly do math interviews? UCAS mentioned UCL may, but then the UCL admissions site said it's not likely. UCAS said nothing about Imperial, and they DO commonly interview applicants. So I'm just really confused. Can anyone clear this up.

My tutor for applied is the admissions tutor for the maths department... He mentioned we'll have to rearrange 2 or 3 of our sessions in the coming weeks because they clash with interviews with applicants. That said, I've not met anyone yet who's had an interview here.
Original post by Zuzuzu
My tutor for applied is the admissions tutor for the maths department... He mentioned we'll have to rearrange 2 or 3 of our sessions in the coming weeks because they clash with interviews with applicants. That said, I've not met anyone yet who's had an interview here.

Interesting, thanks for that info :creep:
Just got my first Maths offer :smile:

Bath gave me A*AB + either 2 in any STEP or Merit in AEA. Feels good that they're coming in :biggrin:

Anyone else had any luck?
[INDENT]
Original post by Xero Xenith

Bath gave me A*AB + either 2 in any STEP or Merit in AEA. Feels good that they're coming in :biggrin:

Manchester want to interview me, ffs >.<
Original post by dnumberwang

Manchester want to interview me, ffs &gt;.&lt;

Really? I thought they usually didn't? :eek:

Actually, hadn't heard of any Maths departments wanting interviews except Oxford, Cambridge and one or two in London :s-smilie:
[INDENT]

Why on earth...? :confused:

Congratulations! I'm surprised they've started giving out offers already... perhaps you were just too good! :tongue:

Meh. No such luck yet :frown: But hopefully a longer wait will be worth it!
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Not a lot can be said about it really. Just find the normals and intersect them? Then use the fact that (1,0) lies on PQ for find the value of pq.

If you haven't already, it'll help to sketch y2=4xy^2=4xand all the other points/lines to see what's going on.

Got there eventually, did Q3 no problems. Q4 is have shown it equals 24/25, using triangles, but mine is positive, where as it asks for -24/25 in the paper.
Reply 1913
[INDENT]

It's not a proper interview. It's just luring you into walking round the department/campus for 3 hours, having a craic with current students, then getting asked a few questions by a maths member of staff.

Every applicant gets this interview thing, afaik.
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Got there eventually, did Q3 no problems. Q4 is have shown it equals 24/25, using triangles, but mine is positive, where as it asks for -24/25 in the paper.

Easily fixed with a sketch. You'll see that sin2θ0\sin 2\theta \leq 0 for all theta over 3π2θ2π\dfrac{3\pi}{2}\leq \theta \leq 2\pi. Remember that the triangles will only give you the magnitude (unless you draw them on a quadrant diagram but who does that? :p:) of the value you want, you need to determine the sign of it yourself by looking at the domain.
Original post by Zuzuzu
It's not a proper interview. It's just luring you into walking round the department/campus for 3 hours, having a craic with current students, then getting asked a few questions by a maths member of staff.

Every applicant gets this interview thing, afaik.

Cheers.

3 hours, bloody hell, I live in Manchester anyway

Ahh, you lucky guy. I want an offer from Bath already. *waits impatiently*
Just scrutinized my emails from universities more closely and realised that UCL wanted UMS :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Thought it was just Cambridge! Anyhow, I've sent off the email with the relevant information... Any other UCL applicants getting this?
Reply 1918
Original post by Reminisce
Just scrutinized my emails from universities more closely and realised that UCL wanted UMS :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Thought it was just Cambridge! Anyhow, I've sent off the email with the relevant information... Any other UCL applicants getting this?

Yep. Have sent my UMS of the AS subjects (although think they should be in my reference).
Reply 1919
Original post by Zuzuzu
Maths - hard and not really that fun.

How does it compare to STEP/ alevels in terms of the way the content/theory is presented and the difficulty of questions?

Latest