2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Seb
I chose that last year!! turned it down though :frown:

I might regret it if I get re-rejected

put it down again at a diff uni?
Reply 4361
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
"Your application has been approved by your referee/coordinator. Your reference has been completed and approved. Your application has not yet been sent to UCAS"

I sent it on the night of the 13th and as soon as I did, it said the reference had already been completed and approved..
I wanna cry with frustration because I know exactly what my referee is doing :frown:

Whyyy? What is your referee doing? :s-smilie:
Original post by twelve
Yeahh you can! I'm trying to research that now - I've managed to get over the initial AHHHHH feeling of sending my application off, and I finally feel like I can actually think about it now haha.

Only problem is whether to go for an academic subject (which for me would probably be some kind of mixture between biochemistry, molecular and cellular biology, genetics and maybe a bit of biomedical sciences stuck in there for good measure) or try my hand at a vocational course. No idea what though - although I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to do Pharmacy. Sounds like a great career, but I'm just not sure its for me :/

I have absolutely no idea what I'd do as an alternative- never even thought about it!
Last year I didn't put a fifth choice down because I knew I'd be reapplying if I didn't get in.

Hmmm, I keep thinking if I go for pharmacy or biomedicine I'd just be so jealous of the doctors around me thinking 'why didn't I get in!! *cries*' and be really grumpy most of the time. This makes me think I should do something that's unrelated to medicine but seeing as my alevels are all science I don't think that's an option
(anyone got ideas?) :smile:.
Then I think what if I want to do grad entry?
So then it's back to biomed or neuroscience ect.
It's a vicious circle! Lol

On another note, I overheard a girl saying that she'd take a biomed offer over a medicine one unless her med offer was at ucl/imp because the biomed uni would be more prestigious (though she said she liked it more it was pretty obvious she just wanted to go somewhere well known).
Got quite angry inside thinking how selfish it was when we reapps would kill for any place to study medicine!
Rant over! :biggrin:
Reply 4363
Original post by ivegotluckyscrubs
I have absolutely no idea what I'd do as an alternative- never even thought about it!
Last year I didn't put a fifth choice down because I knew I'd be reapplying if I didn't get in.

Hmmm, I keep thinking if I go for pharmacy or biomedicine I'd just be so jealous of the doctors around me thinking 'why didn't I get in!! *cries*' and be really grumpy most of the time. This makes me think I should do something that's unrelated to medicine but seeing as my alevels are all science I don't think that's an option
(anyone got ideas?) :smile:.
Then I think what if I want to do grad entry?
So then it's back to biomed or neuroscience ect.
It's a vicious circle! Lol

On another note, I overheard a girl saying that she'd take a biomed offer over a medicine one unless her med offer was at ucl/imp because the biomed uni would be more prestigious (though she said she liked it more it was pretty obvious she just wanted to go somewhere well known).
Got quite angry inside thinking how selfish it was when we reapps would kill for any place to study medicine!
Rant over! :biggrin:

go to europe if all else fails, then come back as a doctor to England, If u really wanna be a doctor in order to help people and are sincere you would not care what people think of u having to go out of the country to study because u couldnt get into an English medical school

I want to ask u a question now:
How many extra activities did u put on ur statement. Ive only got three and thinking of putting on a fourth one but its a difficult choice between having a nicely represented 41 line statement and a ugly looking 47 liner that is crammed. Would three be enough or would they require more??
this is probably a stupid question, but what are ec's defined as? like, does duke of edinburgh, young enterprise etc come into that classification or just sports and stuff?
Reply 4365
Original post by atomos
this is probably a stupid question, but what are ec's defined as? like, does duke of edinburgh, young enterprise etc come into that classification or just sports and stuff?

Anything you don't do at school. Though work experience and voluntary usually get their own paragraph. Though it beats me why being sporty and cultured would make you a better doctor.
Reply 4366
Anybody on here managed to get auxilliary/hca work?
i just had a look but all the posts were for exisiting NHS staff :frown:
Original post by os100
go to europe if all else fails, then come back as a doctor to England,

I have to disagree. Some of the Romania Medical school have over 70% drop out rate.

It's better if you try in the UK. Simply because anything is possible here. Even if you've not got the grades you can still be a doctor!

I am saying this from my own experience. I got awful grades at A-level. CCCb. Hardly anything to be proud of. I got really poor grades due to some pretty extenuating circumstances.

So I am re-sitting some exams and should gain AAA or better by the end of this year. I've been really passionate about medicine and refuse to give up.

If I can keep at it, why should anyone else give up? It's not worth going abroad just to find out that you might not even make it and just end up in a heap of debt.
Original post by Doctor.
I have to disagree. Some of the Romania Medical school have over 70% drop out rate.

It's better if you try in the UK. Simply because anything is possible here. Even if you've not got the grades you can still be a doctor!

I am saying this from my own experience. I got awful grades at A-level. CCCb. Hardly anything to be proud of. I got really poor grades due to some pretty extenuating circumstances.

So I am re-sitting some exams and should gain AAA or better by the end of this year. I've been really passionate about medicine and refuse to give up.

If I can keep at it, why should anyone else give up? It's not worth going abroad just to find out that you might not even make it and just end up in a heap of debt.

do you have any links about that drop out rate? that seems unrealistically high
Original post by bertstare

The drop out rate was from one of the Romanian medical schools. From what I recall it was over a period of first three years of the course.

Try Googling. Believe I found it on one of the more medical related forums which had references about the international medical schools.

This is the one: Carol Davila University of Medicine and Pharmacy

(apparently it is pretty easy to get places... but to stay on the course. It's a whole different story)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4370
Original post by bertstare

its probably an exaggeration but seriously, come on, polish doctors are emigrating to england by the hundreds and don't have any problems getting in. Some universities at Romania have no tuition fees that you have to pay either.
Original post by os100
its probably an exaggeration but seriously, come on, polish doctors are emigrating to england by the hundreds and don't have any problems getting in. Some universities at Romania have no tuition fees that you have to pay either.

Fair enough but idk. I would always stick to UK before anything else :s-smilie:
Probably because I am weird like that lol (also I don't know Polish :redface:)
Reply 4372
Original post by Doctor.
Fair enough but idk. I would always stick to UK before anything else :s-smilie:
Probably because I am weird like that lol (also I don't know Polish :redface:)

not that hard to learn if you're enthusiastic about medicine and there are universities in holland that give courses in english as well as Czech, Poland, Romania etc
but obviously only if u get four rejections u should consider them
Original post by os100
not that hard to learn if you're enthusiastic about medicine and there are universities in holland that give courses in english as well as Czech, Poland, Romania etc
but obviously only if u get four rejections u should consider them

Agreed :smile:. I just think there are so many ways to be a doctor here. Why bother with going out of your comfort zone :tongue:.

Besides I think I am a little scared if I ever did go abroad spesh because I watched Hostel 1 & 2 last week. The place reminds me of Romania and Cz lmao. I'm an oddball.
Reply 4374
Original post by Doctor.
Agreed :smile:. I just think there are so many ways to be a doctor here. Why bother with going out of your comfort zone :tongue:.

Besides I think I am a little scared if I ever did go abroad spesh because I watched Hostel 1 & 2 last week. The place reminds me of Romania and Cz lmao. I'm an oddball.

as a doctor you'll go out of ur comfort zone sometimes anyway but better not to if you can't help it and focus on getting into England medical schools instead and use abroad as a last resort only
Original post by twelve
Whyyy? What is your referee doing? :s-smilie:

He waits until oct 15th and sends everyone's application at the same time so it's "fair"
Did the same last year. Even though some had finished weeks before and others the day before..
Anyway I got an email from UCAS at 8.44 this morning to say it had been sent, so panic over.. :colondollar:
Reply 4376
He waits until oct 15th and sends everyone's application at the same time so it's "fair"
Did the same last year. Even though some had finished weeks before and others the day before..
Anyway I got an email from UCAS at 8.44 this morning to say it had been sent, so panic over.. :colondollar:

What an idiot. There's no advantage to applying earlier is there?!

But anyway, yayyy, all sent :biggrin: Can't believe today is the deadline. I keep wanting to start refreshing my email ALREADY :frown: I didn't get to this stage until at least December last year :frown:
Original post by twelve
What an idiot. There's no advantage to applying earlier is there?!

But anyway, yayyy, all sent :biggrin: Can't believe today is the deadline. I keep wanting to start refreshing my email ALREADY :frown: I didn't get to this stage until at least December last year :frown:

LOL he's amazing in some ways but pretty frustrating in other ways. Idk I'm just glad it's done :biggrin:

:eek: I know I'm buzzing already!

But now I have to write a biochemical engineering (with chemical engineering) personal statement for UCL and i have NO IDEA how to talk about anything else besides medicine (PS wise that is).. :s-smilie:
It's no use over-doing it with "I've always wanted to do biochemical engineering" because they will have read my medicine PS..
I want to have a decent shot with them because worst case, I'd actually look in to post-grad med
There isn't such a supportive network for this course as medicine on TSR etc lol
Just got confirmation emails today! Excited :biggrin:
How's everyone passing time? I seem to be. not doing very much apart from volunteering...
Reply 4379
LOL he's amazing in some ways but pretty frustrating in other ways. Idk I'm just glad it's done :biggrin:

:eek: I know I'm buzzing already!

But now I have to write a biochemical engineering (with chemical engineering) personal statement for UCL and i have NO IDEA how to talk about anything else besides medicine (PS wise that is).. :s-smilie:
It's no use over-doing it with "I've always wanted to do biochemical engineering" because they will have read my medicine PS..
I want to have a decent shot with them because worst case, I'd actually look in to post-grad med
There isn't such a supportive network for this course as medicine on TSR etc lol

Hmm yeahh. I don't know whether to bother with another personal statement - I feel like maybe just sending a letter or something saying 'yeahh, you and I both know I want to do medicine, but HONEST I would be good at/enjoy your course too :biggrin:'

I just know that I won't be able to write about another course - I don't have anything to say really. If I chose something vocational, I have NO experience in that career, and if I chose something academic, I'm not sure I have anything to say apart from that that was the thing I enjoyed most in my biology/chemistry courses :/ I know what you mean though, about wanting the best shot. Unfortuantely, don't have any advice for yo, because I don't have a clue either!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending