The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

St Andrews Maths site

'A level qualifications
AAA with A in Mathematics for standard first year or "fast track" MMath entry.

For Direct Entry into second year of our BSc or MMath programmes we seek AAA with As in both Mathematics and Further Mathematics.'

What does this mean? How many years is the fast track entry for a UK student? I.e if I was Directly entered into the second year of the BSc would I spend 2 years studying it or 3 years?
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
St Andrews Maths site

'A level qualifications

For Direct Entry into second year of our BSc or MMath programmes we seek AAA with As in both Mathematics and Further Mathematics.'

What does this mean? How many years is the fast track entry for a UK student? I.e if I was Directly entered into the second year of the BSc would I spend 2 years studying it or 3 years?

A Scottish BSc is a four-year degree, one year longer than an English BSc. So if you apply by fast track, it will be shortened to a 3-year course, the same length as a standard English BSc.

Hope that was clear enough! :smile:
Original post by Beth1234
A Scottish BSc is a four-year degree, one year longer than an English BSc. So if you apply by fast track, it will be shortened to a 3-year course, the same length as a standard English BSc.

Hope that was clear enough! :smile:

Dammit, this isn't what I wanted to hear. Thanks though! :smile:
Dammit, this isn't what I wanted to hear. Thanks though! :smile:

Yeah, it'd be quite nice to be able to do a BSc in two years... :frown:
St Andrews Maths site

'A level qualifications

For maths, the fast track programme is doing a masters in 4 years as opposed to a bachelor's in 4 years. St. Andrews doesn't offer second year entry for maths, so you'd be there for four years regardless. :smile:
Reply 1965
Original post by dnumberwang

Which college are you going for?

Sorry, missed this comment earlier. I have chosen St. Johns. You?
Original post by twig
I have chosen St. Johns.

Same! :snoozing:
Original post by anyone_can_fly
For maths, the fast track programme is doing a masters in 4 years as opposed to a bachelor's in 4 years. St. Andrews doesn't offer second year entry for maths, so you'd be there for four years regardless. :smile:

Are there any universities who let you into the 2nd year straight away? *_*
For Oxford people: how are you finding the MAT? :smile:
Are there any universities who let you into the 2nd year straight away? *_*

Only Scottish ones which would otherwise be 4-year BScs. I think I've heard that if you're a super-genius (a.k.a. IMO) Cambridge let you take second and third year courses in first year.

Original post by number23
For Oxford people: how are you finding the MAT? :smile:

It's not too bad, but I'm terrified at how close the deadline's getting! I've only done 1.5 past papers so far. (Guess what my plan for half-term is?)
Only Scottish ones which would otherwise be 4-year BScs. I think I've heard that if you're a super-genius (a.k.a. IMO) Cambridge let you take second and third year courses in first year.

It's not too bad, but I'm terrified at how close the deadline's getting! I've only done 1.5 past papers so far. (Guess what my plan for half-term is?)

I think I probably only did about 1.5 past papers before taking it properly.

NB: That was a bad way to prepare! So well done for intending to do more :tongue:

EDIT: Hi, anyone_can_fly's mum!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by LtCommanderData
I think I probably only did about 1.5 past papers before taking it properly.

NB: That was a bad way to prepare! So well done for intending to do more :tongue:

My main reason for wanting to do all the ones on the website is that otherwise I'm worried that I'll completely panic on the day (which I have been known to do). Also, if I'm rejected at least I'll know that I did all I could.

What you said is reassuring, though. I may need to show my mum that comment. :biggrin:
If Oxford people want, we could start a 2012 MAT thread for:
-discussion (obviously since we are mathmos)
or
-asking for help
or
-posing questions to each other

I'm thinking along the lines of this or this
Original post by ben-smith
If Oxford people want, we could start a 2012 MAT thread for:
-discussion (obviously since we are mathmos)
or
-asking for help
or
-posing questions to each other

I'm thinking along the lines of this or this

Let's start a STEP 2012 one? :p:
Let's start a STEP 2012 one? :p:

If you want but I think its way too early.
We could just make a sort of omnibus thread incorporating MAT/STEP/interviews which everyone could contribute too plus it would be fun!
My main reason for wanting to do all the ones on the website is that otherwise I'm worried that I'll completely panic on the day (which I have been known to do). Also, if I'm rejected at least I'll know that I did all I could.

What you said is reassuring, though. I may need to show my mum that comment. :biggrin:

Just to be clear: I'm not advocating lack of work. I walked out of the room after taking the MAT and said to my two friends who took it with me "damn, I'd better get into Imperial because there's no way I'm getting into Oxford after that". They replied that they felt the same way. Yeah, I got in - but neither of them did. If we'd all prepared a bit better, maybe more than one would have got in.
Original post by ben-smith
If you want but I think its way too early.
We could just make a sort of omnibus thread incorporating MAT/STEP/interviews which everyone could contribute too plus it would be fun!

That would be quite fun, and I can't speak for everyone, but you've pretty much finished and including myself, I think there are a fair few who have started STEP prep, so yeah, sounds like a pretty good idea! :biggrin:
Original post by LtCommanderData
Just to be clear: I'm not advocating lack of work. I walked out of the room after taking the MAT and said to my two friends who took it with me "damn, I'd better get into Imperial because there's no way I'm getting into Oxford after that". They replied that they felt the same way. Yeah, I got in - but neither of them did. If we'd all prepared a bit better, maybe more than one would have got in.

Oh yes, I got that. But it's still reassuring to know. :smile:
I'll create the thread if more people say they are interested.
Oh yes, I got that. But it's still reassuring to know. :smile:

Fair enough :smile:

So... Does everyone know about Legendre's constant? It's slightly amusing.

Latest