The Student Room Group

Dying your hair twice in one week, is it okay?

So basically I have really really dark hair pretty much looks black but its dark brown, I wanted to get a brown. I used hair dye for the first time today, and although my hair looks a little lighter, I want it lighter. I brought two more boxes of hair dye, I was wondering will it be okay if I dye my hair again next week (the same colour) to try and get it even lighter then use the next box a week after. I will use a lot hair treatment conditioners etc to make sure my hair doesn't become too damaged or is it not a good idea??? Any input would be great thanks
Reply 1
If it only goes a bit lighter each time you dye it you should be fine. If you go much, much lighter and then overlap when you dye your roots a few months later, then you'll get either damage or a chemical haircut.
Reply 2
If your natural colour is very dark and you've just dyed over it, another hair dye won't make it lighter (none that I know of, anyway). I tried this a few years back lol The only way to achieve a visibly lighter shade of hair colour is to get it bleached. And that's best done at the salon.

But if you do still want to try dye it again, go for it. It's not recommended to dye it that often in such a short space of time, but it won't do any real harm. Just make sure you do condition it properly etc, just to be on the safe side.
a girl died last week off an allergic reaction, be careful hunny
Reply 4
Original post by supernature
So basically I have really really dark hair pretty much looks black but its dark brown, I wanted to get a brown. I used hair dye for the first time today, and although my hair looks a little lighter, I want it lighter. I brought two more boxes of hair dye, I was wondering will it be okay if I dye my hair again next week (the same colour) to try and get it even lighter then use the next box a week after. I will use a lot hair treatment conditioners etc to make sure my hair doesn't become too damaged or is it not a good idea??? Any input would be great thanks

Hey, dark dyes tend not to contain ammonia which is the main chemical which damages hair. However, naturally dying your hair dark colours multiple times in one night would cause the hair to be stripped of it's natural oils, thus drying it out. Dying it again should not damage it, but may not make that much difference to how light it is. IMO, just try it, you've already bought the dye so the money is clearly not an issue, and leave it in for the longest time possible.

Good luck!
Reply 5
i have dark brown hair and tried to go lighter on it using box dyes. It WILL go lighter if you keep adding lighter brown shades to it (i used l'oreals excellence light frosted brown, and a shade before that which i cant remember, did them about a month between each other). My hair did lighten up but not that much - it would still be described as a dark brown. however it started to fade into a gingery brown which I hated. I occasionally dye it with a medium ashy brown to counteract it - lucky for me it actually works.

my hair is damaged - at first i couldn't tell but then you do. There was times when i couldn't run my fingers through it and my natural curls didn't curl so much. bearing in mind, i straighten my hair everyday. I've recently had all the dead ends cut out and its MUCH better but a little shorter than I would like.

so in the long run, i would say dye if you really want to - i don't think the damage will be that bad but be aware that the colour will fade and it doesn't fade nicely at ALL. i've spent about the same amount of money on hairdye & extra treatments that i woulda spent on getting it dyed by a professional. Since you've dyed your hair already they would have to bleach it then dye it but you could always get them to do a strand test to see if you will like the colour :smile:
I've done mine I think 5 days in one week and it was okay, just a bit dry. You should be okay, just use lots of conditioner :smile:
It probably won't damage your hair too much if you use conditioner, but it might no lighten it.
I'd suggest getting a full head of highlights to lighten the appearance overall if you don't mind having highlights?
You could get it bleached in a salon and then put a brown dye over it, but that would probably ruin your hair and then you would have to deal with root regrowth!
Original post by kaylafrances
a girl died last week off an allergic reaction, be careful hunny

I was about to say too, be careful. But I guess you have dyed it already and you didn't get any allergic reaction. I have recently dyed my hair 3 times in a week actually. I have hair and I wanted to go lighter and silly me for getting a blonde shade, as expected it didnt turn out good. I dyed it first and it didn't do it properly so the next day I dyed it again and it went ginger at the top and darger at the bottom so in the end I had to dye it for the 3rd time a dark colour to get rid of the ginger and even out the colour. I am back to my natural colour now.
So I have dark brown hair and today I decided to dye my hair to a lighter brown and it didn't really good for the most part but in certain places that I didn't really pick up and I was wondering if it was OK for me to use the same product of die within the same week to retouch the parts that didn't really pick up
So my hair is dark brown and today I decided to dye my hair to a lighter brown and it worked but the hair dye didn't pick up everywhere. So I was wondering if it was OK for me to use the same hair dye product within the same week to retouch the parts that didn't die as well? Please help 😊
Original post by Sebastianmommy
So my hair is dark brown and today I decided to dye my hair to a lighter brown and it worked but the hair dye didn't pick up everywhere. So I was wondering if it was OK for me to use the same hair dye product within the same week to retouch the parts that didn't die as well? Please help 😊

Depends what you used? If it's just a standard box colour then yes it's fine. If it was bleach it might be wise to leave it a couple of weeks.
I did this, my hair was SOOOO damaged, still cutting it :angry:
i once dyed the front of my hair blond like neymar for almost a mth lol but i just bleached it and conditioned and left it.
and ok. someone bumped this **** hard.
Reply 14
why don't use hair extensions?
dye the hair extensions,and will not damage yourself hair
I dye my hair usually every 6 weeks blonde ,i went darker 2 weeks ago ,don't like it so dyed it yesterday ,still not light enough can I do it again tomorrow
I have colored my hair twice this week can I color for a 3rd time this week
Original post by baby girl 40
I have colored my hair twice this week can I color for a 3rd time this week

Tbh I would but it depends on your hair... do you think it is more damaged than before ? do you have more hair that falls ? If so, I wouldn't do it.
Are you colouring your hair because you still don't like the color of it ? Or you want to have a closer tone to your natural hair ?

Quick Reply

Latest