The Student Room Group

A shirt with a hoodie on top?????

I was thinking about wearing a shirt with a nice hoodie on top (not a hooded-shirt). I've was thinking about one of these hoodies:

Red Hoodie
Or
Brownish Hoodie

With one of these shirts:

Dark grey stripe shirt or medium gery shirt for the red hoodie.

And

Purple shirt or Grey/purple stripe shirt or red check shirt with the brown hoodie.

Good combination of clothes and colours?

I'm probably going to go with the combination anyway, just wondering what other peoples opinions are on it, if you can think a better combination.

I'm leaning towards the brown hoodie with the red check shirt.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm a huge fan of red but that jumper looks purple to me. Not liking that.

Out of what you have. I'd go for the second jumper and the red shirt.
I remember a time when blokes didn't need to concult others on 'what colours do and don't work'.

Perhaps I'm a dying breed..
Reply 3
they look alright. I wouldn't wear them myself, but they look fine. I dunno if a hoodie kind of top would work with a collared shirt, have you ever tried to wear things like those together? it can look quite silly. I probably wouldn't wear those together, probably a t-shirt under the hoodie would look better, or just the shirt and something over it like a cardigan. Maybe.

I always tell people though, avoid getting more than 2-3 items of clothing from the same shop, look around, take a few, go somewhere else, take a few, keep going. This is so that you don't look like you've tried to jump on a particular trend and only wear the same sorts of clothes. Too many times do you see the same chequered shirt, chinos, beads and vans-with-no-socks combination. Get a little of everything and mix it up eh?
Reply 4
Original post by whatmakesyoutiki2
I remember a time when blokes didn't need to concult others on 'what colours do and don't work'.

I'm perfectly comfortable with asking other peoples opinion on what colours go together. Doesn't make me feel any less of a bloke. :dontknow:
Reply 5

I remember a time when guys could spell 'consult'...

Nothing wrong with getting people's opinions.
Reply 6
Original post by Pride
they look alright. I wouldn't wear them myself, but they look fine. I dunno if a hoodie kind of top would work with a collared shirt, have you ever tried to wear things like those together? it can look quite silly. I probably wouldn't wear those together, probably a t-shirt under the hoodie would look better, or just the shirt and something over it like a cardigan. Maybe.

I always tell people though, avoid getting more than 2-3 items of clothing from the same shop, look around, take a few, go somewhere else, take a few, keep going. This is so that you don't look like you've tried to jump on a particular trend and only wear the same sorts of clothes. Too many times do you see the same chequered shirt, chinos, beads and vans-with-no-socks combination. Get a little of everything and mix it up eh?

Yeah I've seen a few people do it and it looked pretty decent. It just has to be the right kind of hoodie.
I think I might do as you suggest and buy the hoodie from here and go somewhere else and mix it up.

Lol here I found this picture of beckham wearing a shirt hoodie combo:

Original post by U.S Lecce
I'm perfectly comfortable with asking other peoples opinion on what colours go together. Doesn't make me feel any less of a bloke. :dontknow:

At what point did I say you weren't a bloke or weren't as much of one?

Original post by Drewski
I remember a time when guys could spell 'consult'...

Nothing wrong with getting people's opinions.

Wow, relax - it was a typo, the 's' and 'c' keys are kinda close. And lawl at how on the defensive you are, makes me think you've got something to hide :wink:
Reply 8
Yeah I've seen a few people do it and it looked pretty decent. It just has to be the right kind of hoodie.
I think I might do as you suggest and buy the hoodie from here and go somewhere else and mix it up.

Lol here I found this picture of beckham wearing a shirt hoodie combo:

Ahh I see.

Well he has a tie on, so it sort of works. Can you see how if he didn't have that on, it wouldn't really work? It's a more formal setting, so you can get away with a tie. But what about casually?

not to mention his wife is very clever with regards to fashion. You can guarantee she won't let him out of the house if he isn't looking good.
Reply 9
I like the shirt and hoodie combo, but only if it's a zip-up hoodie. I'm not really a fan of either of those hoodies or any of the shirts bar the checked one.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
At what point did I say you weren't a bloke or weren't as much of one?

Let's not beat around the bush here mate, that's what you implied. Why else would you have made such a random comment. :rolleyes:
Let's not beat around the bush here mate, that's what you implied.

Not really. It's what you inferred.

Why else would you have made such a random comment. :rolleyes:

Because it is true - times have changed and these days, the metrosexual brigade is the norm. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Reply 12
Original post by Pride
Ahh I see.

Well he has a tie on, so it sort of works. Can you see how if he didn't have that on, it wouldn't really work? It's a more formal setting, so you can get away with a tie. But what about casually?

not to mention his wife is very clever with regards to fashion. You can guarantee she won't let him out of the house if he isn't looking good.

Yeh I suppose. I just thought it would go because it would essentially be like wearing a shirt with a v-neck jumper, with a hood. And I was going to wear it for casual smart occasions.
Like someone suggested, I think a zip hoodie would look better (these are currently 'in') than a pull over however from the options you've got I'd go for the red, plus it is a nice jumper tbh. I don't know why but I think the brown colour is quite dingy, it's not rich or warm - it has a grey tone in it. Mixing grey and brown together is probably one of the worst colour combinations ever.

From the shirts you've suggested I'd go with the first one, the grey matches the grey of the hood and I don't think there's anything wrong with a bit of co-ordination :h: However shirts being shirts, the fit of the second one is a lot better. From RI's website the nearest thing fit and colour wise is this. You could also pair the jumper with a blue shirt, either navy or baby blue.

My opinions anyway :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Milky Milk
Like someone suggested, I think a zip hoodie would look better (these are currently 'in') than a pull over however from the options you've got I'd go for the red, plus it is a nice jumper tbh. I don't know why but I think the brown colour is quite dingy, it's not rich or warm - it has a grey tone in it. Mixing grey and brown together is probably one of the worst colour combinations ever.

From the shirts you've suggested I'd go with the first one, the grey matches the grey of the hood and I don't think there's anything wrong with a bit of co-ordination :h: However shirts being shirts, the fit of the second one is a lot better. From RI's website the nearest thing fit and colour wise is this. You could also pair the jumper with a blue shirt, either navy or baby blue.

My opinions anyway :smile:

Yeah I was originally going for that but then I saw someone with a hoodie and a shirt last week and thought it looked pretty good, but I might just end up getting a zip hoodie with a shirt.

Also I thought I'd mix the dullish brown hoodie with the red check shirt, although now I'm even looking at woolen shawl necks with shirts.
(edited 12 years ago)
Yeah I was originally going for that but then I saw someone with a hoodie and a shirt last week and thought it looked pretty good, but I might just end up getting a zip hoodie with a shirt.

Although now I'm even looking at woolen shawl necks with shirts.

Shawl necks?
Reply 16
Shawl necks?

Shawl neck like this but maybe with a casual check shirt for formal occasions.
Reply 17
Conceptually sound, but your proposed colour-combinations don't really chime.
Shawl neck like this but maybe with a casual check shirt for formal occasions.

Oh I see! I think they look particularly good with t-shirts, however shirts would be just as good. If you're looking at that in particular, it's a nice cardigan but I don't get the colour... It says dark grey but it looked purple to me. If it is in fact dark grey then it's a good choice with a lot of options, if it's purple however, the options are limited.
Reply 19
Oh I see! I think they look particularly good with t-shirts, however shirts would be just as good. If you're looking at that in particular, it's a nice cardigan but I don't get the colour... It says dark grey but it looked purple to me. If it is in fact dark grey then it's a good choice with a lot of options, if it's purple however, the options are limited.

Lol I actually didn't realise it said purple, i thought it was grey as well. Looking at it a bit closer i thinks it's dark purple/grey. Think I'll go into the shop to buy this one and try it on first, if I decide to get it.

Latest