The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7400
Original post by medbh4805
Everyone used to get drunk on a Friday night and weep. I remember students staggering over the college lawns, crying, or chasing people who were crying. The gays wouldn't come out of the closet. You knew a guy in Merton was gay only because he went to chapel more often than a straight guy, and would occasionally goose-step across the quad cuddling a bottle of tequila, shouting, "I'm not gay!" It was quite normal to see a sobbing physicist walking to the university counselling service at 2am, or a rower shaking with withdrawal from ecstasy. On Saturdays the tourists would come in and stare at us in our Brideshead zoo. We would tuck our heads under our chins, and walk on by. The dons seemed equally wretched. They were either horrible, or miserable. Their expressions screamed: "We are thwarted!"

:rofl:

There's some brilliant black humour in that article. I actually bumped into it the day before I sent my application off, was quite amusing... I THINK she may have had a tough time at Oxford. Possibly.
Hey, Fen here.
Currently a finalist in French and German at St Hilda's College.
Applying for a second BA in Law (well, 'Jurisprudence') at Wadham.
Reply 7402
Everyone used to get drunk on a Friday night and weep. I remember students staggering over the college lawns, crying, or chasing people who were crying. The gays wouldn't come out of the closet. You knew a guy in Merton was gay only because he went to chapel more often than a straight guy, and would occasionally goose-step across the quad cuddling a bottle of tequila, shouting, "I'm not gay!" It was quite normal to see a sobbing physicist walking to the university counselling service at 2am, or a rower shaking with withdrawal from ecstasy. On Saturdays the tourists would come in and stare at us in our Brideshead zoo. We would tuck our heads under our chins, and walk on by. The dons seemed equally wretched. They were either horrible, or miserable. Their expressions screamed: "We are thwarted!"

I actually decided on applying to Merton after reading that article, not sure what that says about me :biggrin:

sounds quite fun, actually
Reply 7404
Username: Eggbloke
Subject: Engineering
GCSE: 7A*, 5A
AS: AAAAAB
College: New
Predicted: A*A*A*A +EPQ
Original post by Greatleysteg
Hey, Fen here.

Woooop German :biggrin: What did you think of the BA course at Oxford? And why the second BA?
Reply 7406
Original post by Greatleysteg
Hey, Fen here.

I second that on the German part!!
Also, do you think you stand a better chance than non-Oxford applicanted of getting into Law, seeing as you're already an Oxford student?
Original post by Wisham
I actually decided on applying to Merton after reading that article, not sure what that says about me :biggrin:

yay! finally found another merton applicant :biggrin: It's soooo pretty, haven't met any girls applying yet though :s-smilie:
Original post by doloroushazy
sounds quite fun, actually

I already do several of the things described in that paragraph. I suppose I'm well prepared :ahee:
Got my acknowledgment earlier on today boys and girls! It's strange how comforting that is even though I know it doesn't mean very much
Reply 7410
Hey guys,

just interested in your feedback on my application position:

I'm an international student applying to Merton College for PPE. In 2010, I graduated High School with a 42 IB score (776 HL) and went to study Bsc International Relations at the LSE. After my first year at the LSE, I scored a first and simultaneously discovered I really didn't want to stay at the LSE (for a number of reasons, poor community being one of them) and have hence applied Oxford (I didn't apply the first time around.) I score just below average on the TSA.

Anybody have any insight into my chances?
Original post by Doojam
In the confirmation email, it mentions that there will be further details from the college by the end of October. What exactly does that mean? I won't have sat my TSA by then, so I assume it's not notification of rejection/interview...

Dw about it! I just got the same one, I think they send it to ALL applicants (weird i know) whom have to take admissions tests just to urgently remind you that you need to register - UCEL makes exceptions I think if you beg, well thats what it says in the email :smile:

Wondering what they're doing to tell me in October now...
Reply 7412
Original post by palmerjm

Hey guys,

I'm an international student applying to Merton College for PPE. In 2010, I graduated High School with a 42 IB score (776 HL) and went to study Bsc International Relations at the LSE. After my first year at the LSE, I scored a first and simultaneously discovered I really didn't want to stay at the LSE (for a number of reasons, poor community being one of them) and have hence applied Oxford (I didn't apply the first time around.) I score just below average on the TSA.

I can't answer your question because I don't know about IBs but do you know what the average on the TSA is?
Reply 7413
Any one got acknowledgement from Keble yet??? :frown:
Hey guys,

We're seeing alot of first year finishers re-applying, is it not possible to transfer out of LSE into Oxford? Saves you a year, it could work both ways.

The Good: you are obviously very capable and used to the workload & pressure of university life, you exceed the requirements, 42/45 on IB is also quite impressive
Bad: Oxford (well universities in general) hate drop-outs, they're damaging to the reputation of the institution and whats to say that it wont happen again?

Either way, deadline has passed so better just take your chances and try :biggrin: You've got nothing to lose tbh! Have you officially left LSE then? I was thinking of applying there but it just seems so... secluded. Please tell me more about LSE life!

And I'm applying for PPE too... and at Merton :smile: HI. I'm just a home student. Where are you from?
Reply 7415
Hey guys,

what was your exact TSA score?
Original post by lilyXD
Any one got acknowledgement from Keble yet??? :frown:

When did you send off your application? Don't worry about not getting one, if its listed on your UCAS choices then they have got it, they just haven't got round to confirming it. They're probably super busy - what with the deadline just being a couple of days ago AND the fact that Keble gets a lot of applications in comparison to other colleges, and it also depends on the popularity of the course at your college this year. So all in all... don't fret :smile:
Grrr. My parents seem convinced that I should be doing far more MAT preparation than I am, and keep nagging me. It's really annoying, I'm working my way through the past papers but they just don't accept that there's not much more I can do! They aren't normally this pushy. :angry:

Talking of the MAT, does anyone have any idea how the long questions are marked? For example, how many marks can you get for partial answers?

Original post by Brand New Eyes
yay! finally found another merton applicant :biggrin: It's soooo pretty, haven't met any girls applying yet though :s-smilie:

You clearly haven't looked very hard then. :tongue:
Dear -,

Thank you for making an application to study Classics I at the University of Oxford, starting in 2012. We can confirm that you have chosen to study at Lady Margaret Hall.

You should receive much more detailed and specific information from the college or hall before the end of October.

:woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Grrr. My parents seem convinced that I should be doing far more MAT preparation than I am, and keep nagging me. It's really annoying, I'm working my way through the past papers but they just don't accept that there's not much more I can do! They aren't normally this pushy. :angry:

Talking of the MAT, does anyone have any idea how the long questions are marked? For example, how many marks can you get for partial answers?

You clearly haven't looked very hard then. :tongue:

Same - but for the TSA. Well tbh I haven't been practising so fair dos. Oopsies! Yay another Mertoinian, I just got my confirmation 30 minutes ago, well it was from UG admissions rather than Merton themselves... was yours from Mert of UG?

Latest

Trending

Trending