The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

hi,
im having trouble understanding the degree system. if i apply to do international relations, can I take modules from another degree eg mediaeval history?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by Sappho
St Andrews is indeed a city by definition because it has a cathedral.

As far as I was aware, the definition of a city as "having a cathedral" only applies in England...?
Original post by Sappho
St Andrews is indeed a city by definition because it has a cathedral.

A cathedral city isn't classed as a city city! Or else my town Motherwell would also be a city and that's just rofl.

It's a town. :P (That once had a cathedral)
Original post by aurcen
I wonder, how many international spots do St. Andrews allocate for international students planning on doing medicine? I've had a look at the uni and the city. Looks really good. I kinda like the quiet and homely feel the whole city has. I really really want to include it in my UCAS choices. But I'm afraid that they only admit very little international students and that my chances of getting in will be very slim. And I don't want to waste a spot on my choices. Cheers.

A lot of internationals doing Medicine.
Quick question about the open day tomorrow, it says in my email that registration is at 11am. Does that mean you have to register at that time - or that you can register anytime after.

It's just the information session doesn't start 'till 1:15pm

Thanks
Original post by Evan7788
Quick question about the open day tomorrow, it says in my email that registration is at 11am. Does that mean you have to register at that time - or that you can register anytime after.

It's just the information session doesn't start 'till 1:15pm

Thanks

You can essentially register anytime between 9 and 12, you are given that time just so the number of visitors can be (slightly) controlled although it'll be very busy tomorrow. You will spend time at 11 going through your itinerary, then you will then go on a tour for around 45 minutes. Some people do have information sessions earlier than 1:15pm as there are so many visitors tomorrow. Also remember you'll need time to get lunch and stuff :smile: It's not like you register at 11 then have to hang around till 1:15pm, you'll be out and about.
Original post by maxcartwright
hi,
im having trouble understanding the degree system. if i apply to do international relations, can I take modules from another degree eg mediaeval history?

In 1st and 2nd year, yes. Providing there are no timetable clashes.
Original post by Ecosse_14
You can essentially register anytime between 9 and 12, you are given that time just so the number of visitors can be (slightly) controlled although it'll be very busy tomorrow. You will spend time at 11 going through your itinerary, then you will then go on a tour for around 45 minutes. Some people do have information sessions earlier than 1:15pm as there are so many visitors tomorrow. Also remember you'll need time to get lunch and stuff :smile: It's not like you register at 11 then have to hang around till 1:15pm, you'll be out and about.

Thanks, just luck that my friend got the same registration time :smile:

I'm guessing because the open day is fully booked that parents can't attend the departmental sessions?

Also, what do we do in them?

Thanks again.
Original post by Evan7788
I'm guessing because the open day is fully booked that parents can't attend the departmental sessions?

Also, what do we do in them?

Thanks again.

Um, parents me be allowed to the departmental visits but I'm guessing some talks may be rather crammed.
Deparment talks you'll get a talk by a lecturer/most likely the person in charge of the first year course. I've never been to one but I think they basically talk about course structure/content and whatnot and answer all your questions.
Reply 6470
Original post by maxcartwright
hi,

In 1st and 2nd year, yes. Providing there are no timetable clashes.

Which there are in first year as Medieval and IR are at the same time. However, you could do Medieval modules in second year if you really want. But yes. You can take modules from other degrees, provided you meet any pre-requisites and there are no clashes.
Um, parents me be allowed to the departmental visits but I'm guessing some talks may be rather crammed.
Deparment talks you'll get a talk by a lecturer/most likely the person in charge of the first year course. I've never been to one but I think they basically talk about course structure/content and whatnot and answer all your questions.

Thanks again, i would give you a thumbs up but can't at the moment.
Reply 6472
Hello,
Just a quick question about gowns. :tongue:
What's the proper way for a direct entry student to wear them- as a first or second year? I think I might be doing the dip already. :biggrin:
Original post by alexss
Hello,
Just a quick question about gowns. :tongue:
What's the proper way for a direct entry student to wear them- as a first or second year? I think I might be doing the dip already. :biggrin:

That's where it gets confusing. There's also been discussion about what you do if you're in your 5th year (if you do one). I guess traditionally nobody ever really considered it or it just got lost as the years went on. As you may be doing 2nd year modules, but you tell everyone you're a fresher, so it's confusing and I don't think there are any specific rules on that.
Who here did or does Management ??!! I am so nervous about the 20% test on thursday.
Original post by lilyc393
Who here did or does Management ??!! I am so nervous about the 20% test on thursday.

I did it last year. You know what it's on, you know what you're going to have to do, so you can prepare for it and go in knowing what the question is/what you're required to do.. nothing too much to worry about. Just wait till the next one :wink: :colone:
I did it last year. You know what it's on, you know what you're going to have to do, so you can prepare for it and go in knowing what the question is/what you're required to do.. nothing too much to worry about. Just wait till the next one :wink: :colone:

Do you think it would be wise for me to prepare my essay and learn it by heart ? as i know the questions already and won't have too much time to plan the essay. I feel bad for going against what I thought at school hahha
Original post by lilyc393
Do you think it would be wise for me to prepare my essay and learn it by heart ? as i know the questions already and won't have too much time to plan the essay. I feel bad for going against what I thought at school hahha

It's not an essay though, is it?
how much emphasis is placed on GCSE's?
Reply 6479
Anyone know where I can advertise to sell a train ticket for reading week? ((if anyone here is interested, its down to London on 4th Nov, back up on the 9th to Leuchars.))

Latest

Trending

Trending