The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I have a modern language application test on both French and German but have just done a practice one and did not do well :frown: ... has anyone got any tips?? Does anyone know what the average is or how important these tests are? can we still get an interview if we don't do well on the paper?
Original post by medbh4805

Me :afraid:

I have to take the greek one as well :cry:

Arrggh so scary! Good luck!
Original post by Denzer

Original post by Denzer

I guess you're talking HAT, and yep I'm dreading it. Especially since I'm the only one in my college sitting it, so I'll be alone in the gym with an invigilator all to myself:tongue:

Nope, I'm taking the CAT for Classics. Good luck with the HAT :smile: Yeah same here, nobody else applying for Classics at my school... so looking forward to some one-on-one time with the exams officer haha :/
Original post by Devil_in_disguise
Yeah, the MAT. see u in december in univ if we both get an interview then:biggrin:

Yup :wink:
Reply 7544
Original post by languagegeek
I have a modern language application test on both French and German but have just done a practice one and did not do well :frown: ... has anyone got any tips?? Does anyone know what the average is or how important these tests are? can we still get an interview if we don't do well on the paper?

I did badly in my German one too. I dunno what the average is but it can't be too high. I was told that even university standard linguists would struggle with these tests.
Original post by Fallen
Good choice on Univ btw. It was my assigned college and the tutors interviewing me were amazing :smile:

(Not that I am unhappy with my first choice college though)

hello, may I ask, if in the acknowledgement they say that my college has been confirmed, does that mean my assigned college won't ever be changed? or can that change after the interview? :O
Original post by nightmare91
I just saw on the Merton College JCR website that they are having a Harry Potter party on Saturday and that they invited Emma Watson! How awesome is that :biggrin:

bit of casual stalking? aha Merton is awesome. I love it too much that I dont even want to go anywhere else! :frown:

Hey, I'm doing the MLAT too for French. I know with me, I've done the specimen paper on the website and got my teacher to mark it. From that, I was able to see which bits I'm getting stuck on and need more work. I'm going through my grammar book and working through it, making sure I know the tenses inside out. I'm not sure about the average score is for the test, but I don't think you'd be written off if you didn't do as well on the MLAT. It's just one part of the application. They look at the whole picture, so everything will be taken into account accordingly. :smile:
Reply 7548

Ahh the one heading I didn't go on! Termcard :P
:biggrin:
AWESOME!

Original post by Brand New Eyes
bit of casual stalking? aha Merton is awesome. I love it too much that I dont even want to go anywhere else! :frown:

OMG same! I love Merton so much! Id almost be disappointed if I got an offer from another college :P Not so disappointed I wouldn't celebrate though :P
Original post by Fallen
Good choice on Univ btw. It was my assigned college and the tutors interviewing me were amazing :smile:

(Not that I am unhappy with my first choice college though)

Really?:smile: I'm glad to hear that, as I have never been to my college)) amazing in what way? personally or academically? could you please tell me a bit about your Univ interview?:smile:)
Original post by Lexi C
I did badly in my German one too. I dunno what the average is but it can't be too high. I was told that even university standard linguists would struggle with these tests.

Phew, I feel much better hearing this! Who told you about that? I showed my french teacher who is a native, and she had to think quite hard on a few of them... What sort of activites are you doing in terms of revision?

Original post by SimplyComplex
Hey, I'm doing the MLAT too for French. I know with me, I've done the specimen paper on the website and got my teacher to mark it. From that, I was able to see which bits I'm getting stuck on and need more work. I'm going through my grammar book and working through it, making sure I know the tenses inside out. I'm not sure about the average score is for the test, but I don't think you'd be written off if you didn't do as well on the MLAT. It's just one part of the application. They look at the whole picture, so everything will be taken into account accordingly. :smile:

I am worried that I will do bad on the test and so therefore not be considered for an interview :/ Could I ask which grammar book you are using? I am using this Perfect Tenses collection which seem to be ok, but I am not sure they cover enough variety e.g. pluperfect etc. Tomorrow I will be going through the paper I answered with the teacher so hopefully that will help. I am also worried that, since I only started French a couple of years ago, I do not know many what I would call "basic" vocabulary e.g. simple nouns such as chair, window etc. Would this be a problem?
Reply 7551

Was that the specimen paper on the website? Is there a mark scheme for it?
One of my teachers was showing me some old classics entrance tests today....is it just classics or do they seem to get harder as the years go on? :s-smilie:

It's like the opposite of A levels :zomg:
Original post by kasten
Was that the specimen paper on the website? Is there a mark scheme for it?

I couldn't find a mark scheme, I asked my teacher to mark it :smile:
One of my teachers was showing me some old classics entrance tests today....is it just classics or do they seem to get harder as the years go on? :s-smilie:

It's like the opposite of A levels :zomg:

I have only seen one practice paper...but that really worries me now!
Original post by SimplyComplex

Phew, I feel much better hearing this! Who told you about that? I showed my french teacher who is a native, and she had to think quite hard on a few of them... What sort of activites are you doing in terms of revision?

I am worried that I will do bad on the test and so therefore not be considered for an interview :/ Could I ask which grammar book you are using? I am using this Perfect Tenses collection which seem to be ok, but I am not sure they cover enough variety e.g. pluperfect etc. Tomorrow I will be going through the paper I answered with the teacher so hopefully that will help. I am also worried that, since I only started French a couple of years ago, I do not know many what I would call "basic" vocabulary e.g. simple nouns such as chair, window etc. Would this be a problem?

I spoke to a French Oxford student who found out she got 30% in the test, so it can't be the be and end all of whether we get an interview :smile:

Luckily I have teachers who are making me 'mock MLAT' tests of what they describe as 'above the level Oxford are testing', which is a big help. So hopefully that will pay off :biggrin:
Reply 7556
I couldn't find a mark scheme, I asked my teacher to mark it :smile:

Oh, that's a relief, I thought I was almost definitely going blind. Thanks! :biggrin:

What I ask myself is whether, especially in the "English -> language of choice" translation section, they're looking for direct translations, or... oh, God, I've forgotten how to say "sinngemäß" in English... er, sort of slightly looser approximations which nonetheless sound more natural than a literal translation. For example, in the German specimen paper, one of the sentences to translate includes the phrase "so many times". Are they looking for the literal (but a bit clunky) "so viele Male" or would a plain old "so oft" suffice?! (I may possibly be overthinking this... :s-smilie:)
Original post by desy.kris
thanks... I feel left out, so many people have been getting them :frown: which college and for what course btw?

Yeah, I know haha, me too. I am doing an open application for English Language and Literature, you?
Original post by kasten
Oh, that's a relief, I thought I was almost definitely going blind. Thanks! :biggrin:

What I ask myself is whether, especially in the "English -> language of choice" translation section, they're looking for direct translations, or... oh, God, I've forgotten how to say "sinngemäß" in English... er, sort of slightly looser approximations which nonetheless sound more natural than a literal translation. For example, in the German specimen paper, one of the sentences to translate includes the phrase "so many times". Are they looking for the literal (but a bit clunky) "so viele Male" or would a plain old "so oft" suffice?! (I may possibly be overthinking this... :s-smilie:)

German applicant? :biggrin:

Also got my confirmation today at 7:55! I didn't see this until about 12.30 though, when I was in the LRC having a lesson (ha) and typing a transcript of Piers Morgan's interview with Boris Becker- thought, ooh, I may as well check my email. Logged in, saw "University of Oxford", shouted "YES!!!" and threw my arms in the air....then remembered I was technically in a lesson and about thirty people were trying to work quietly around me...and casually pretended I was stretching...

Additionally, got those two Spanish papers back which I'd thought I'd done disastrously on. Turns out it wasn't so bad at all!! I was shocked. I saw loads of ticks and I was like, wait, I literally guessed all of that... it's just the idioms that stump me. And someone could have TOLD me that si + present subjunctive apparently doesn't exist in Spanish. My world crashed down around me :rolleyes: But I wiah I had more German ones; they're incredibly addictive and really quite enjoyable to do. Maybe I should pop over to Jenny's slightly posher school (I'm guessing) and ask them to make me some customised tests :tongue:

sigh. Extended Project presentation tomorrow, freaking out!
I have decided to do the ELAT practice paper next week as opposed to this week in order to do some more practice on close reading. :erm:

Latest

Trending

Trending