The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aja89
It saddens me even more that people refuse to watch 'old films', i.e. anything made before the year of their birth. :colonhash:

Hell, a lot of my favourite films were made before my parents were born...
Been a busy few days in terms of film watching. Mulholland Drive, Chinatown, Oldboy, and then I just saw The Help.
Reply 4602
I literally can't remember the last time I watched a film. Lion King 3D at the cinema and High Society on the TV don't count because I've seen them both before. I barely belong in this society anymore. :colonhash:
Original post by CrazySugarRabbit
Most of the films I like were made before I was born. That's why I prefer these sorts of films like Back To The Future and Who Framed Roger Rabbit. More modern films seem to overdo it with the special effects and blowing up of everything.

I haven't watched Roger Rabbit for centuries.. is that the one where the villain gets turned in to a pancake by a steamroller at the very end? and was there a sequel?

Have you seen other old fantasy-adventure films such as Gremlins or E.T?
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
It saddens me that there are people that refuse to watch films with subtitles.

Tell me about it!!!!
Some of the best films on earth are foreign;
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,
Amélie,
A Prophet,
Pan's Labyrinth,
Das Boot,
The Lives of Others,
The Edukators,
City of God.

There are too many to name! It just makes me sick when people dismiss them because 'it's too hard work'. For God's sake. Stop being so lazy and uncultured.

Also, Why do american's feel the need to remake everything?!! (Girl with The Dragon Tattoo, Let the Right One In, The Ring etc. and T.V shows; most recently The Killing- which is absolutely appalling compared to the original Swedish version!! )

Sorry, I had to let that out. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4605
Are there any David Lynch fans out there? :smile:
I really don't like remakes, but at least with David Fincher directing (and Reznor/Ross providing the soundtrack) the film itself should be good. Pointless, inessential, but good.

Actually it's perhaps even more frustrating that they've put a heavyweight team behind a remake of a two year-old film...
Original post by aja89
I literally can't remember the last time I watched a film. Lion King 3D at the cinema and High Society on the TV don't count because I've seen them both before. I barely belong in this society anymore. :colonhash:

Just curious, have you seen The Philadelphia Story?
Reply 4610
Original post by Sonny_J_D
Just curious, have you seen The Philadelphia Story?

Of course, it's far superior to High Society in my opinion, but that's only because Katharine Hepburn is one of my all time faves. :h:
Original post by Phalanges
Been a busy few days in terms of film watching. Mulholland Drive, Chinatown, Oldboy, and then I just saw The Help.

You have watched Chinatown. Welcome to the other side, my friend.
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
I love your sig

It's actually a little bit upsetting when a few people have said they don't understand it :emo:
Reply 4613
Original post by cambo211
It's actually a little bit upsetting when a few people have said they don't understand it :emo:

:confused: What is there not to understand?
Original post by Abiraleft
:confused: What is there not to understand?

People who genuinely don't recognise the logo.
Original post by aja89
Of course, it's far superior to High Society in my opinion, but that's only because Katharine Hepburn is one of my all time faves. :h:

Any film that features both Cary Grant and James Stewart can be nothing less than brilliant...
Original post by noggins
I haven't watched Roger Rabbit for centuries.. is that the one where the villain gets turned in to a pancake by a steamroller at the very end? and was there a sequel?

Have you seen other old fantasy-adventure films such as Gremlins or E.T?

Yes, then no. I'm not sure if there should be a sequel or not. That's why I think Big Momma's House was enough rather than making more sequels. But it depends on the film. Toy Story did extremely well compared with most sequels.

I have seen Gremlins. It's a weird film, cute fluffy toys mutating into Gremlins. Somehow it makes no sense, but in a clever way. I haven't seen E.T though, it doesn't look like something I would watch.

You should watch Who Framed Roger Rabbit again. Although I've seen it 3 times, its been about a couple of months since I last saw it. I need to watch it again to remind myself.
Original post by cambo211

o_O
Original post by ShosannaDreyfus

There are too many to name! It just makes me sick when people dismiss them because 'it's too hard work'. For God's sake. Stop being so lazy and uncultured.

Also, Why do american's feel the need to remake everything?!! (Girl with The Dragon Tattoo, Let the Right One In, The Ring etc. and T.V shows; most recently The Killing- which is absolutely appalling compared to the original Swedish version!! )

Sorry, I had to let that out. :biggrin:

I don't have an inherent dislike for remakes though. They can go either way, with The Departed being the prime example of a remake working brilliantly. Let The Right One In is definitely an example of the contrary; the remake just not being better than the original.

I wouldn't discount Girl with The Dragon Tattoo just yet though. Not with Fincher at the helm and Daniel Craig starring.

Original post by tombeale
Are there any David Lynch fans out there? :smile:

Madjackismad is a huge fan but he's not around much anymore.
I have a feeling that the Fincher GWTDT will be astounding.

But I do agree that people remaking foreign films for an American audience is becomign excessive.

Quick Reply

Latest