The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gozatron
Bham...

So should i give words of encouragement or scare them?

Both simultaneously if possible! I remember helping out at the interviews. I swear about 5 people asked me "I know I shouldnt ask, but do you think I did well at that interview?":biggrin:

To which I usually replied, "I can't give you feedback but the interviewer's favourite football team is Coventry City and you didn't mention them so...hmm..."
Original post by gozatron
First set of med applicant interviews tommorow...

My parents came up to visit last night and they reminded me that my Bham interview was the day before 1 year ago. So insane how fast this year has gone!
I'm being trained in how to withdraw Kool-aid from a plastic arm tomorrow. **** YEAH.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
I'm being trained in how to withdraw Kool-aid from a plastic arm tomorrow. **** YEAH.

If it's the red version, do not get that **** on your hands, else you're gonna look like a murderer for the rest of the week.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
If it's the red version, do not get that **** on your hands, else you're gonna look like a murderer for the rest of the week.

Cheers for the tip.

Got the day off today. Had a wicked ace lie in now I'm just kind of lounging around. Might go to the gym in a bit. Feels good man.
How realistic is it to fund a 6 week elective purely through grants/fundraising? Possible?
I'd say yes, but not if you want to go abroad at all, I spent about 2k on mine! sooooooo worth it though.
Original post by Smile88egc
I'd say yes, but not if you want to go abroad at all, I spent about 2k on mine! sooooooo worth it though.

Where did you go? Is most of the money taken up with travel to get there and then accom once there?
How realistic is it to fund a 6 week elective purely through grants/fundraising? Possible?

I know a girl who made about £600 on their elective. However, they received multiple sizeable grants from research agencies and contributed to some pretty major research!

I got £400 towards my elective, however as it was in Darwin, Australia, the money sort of just disappeared in paying for a flight! :frown:
Original post by Smile88egc

How did you even raise £2,000?
That so cheap! I know people who spent in excess of £6,000.
They gave some lectures and the average spent was about £4,000!!
Mine cost me £190 in total that £50 admin fee and the rest on 8 weeks worth of transport = bargain!
Seeing as I am limited to the UK due to monies, I would love to do an elective with an air/ground ambulance I think.. Maybe somewhere rural. That would be nice.
Seeing as I am limited to the UK due to monies, I would love to do an elective with an air/ground ambulance I think.. Maybe somewhere rural. That would be nice.

You can discount Lincolnshire from your enquiries already - they no longer take any form of unqualified medical person due to some moron disobeying instructions and walking towards the helicopter whilst the blades were still moving :facepalm:
Original post by crazylemon
Well done moron. Did they just not think?

Clearly not. I'd like to add that this honestly was not me, before anyone suggests it was!
Been assigned to my 5th choice (out of 5) module for next semester. Pissed. Would be less pissed if I had been told in advance that I had virtually no chance of getting my first choice.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
You can discount Lincolnshire from your enquiries already - they no longer take any form of unqualified medical person due to some moron disobeying instructions and walking towards the helicopter whilst the blades were still moving :facepalm:

lol.

I'm thinking perhaps more Shropshire (back home) or Wales.
Original post by crazylemon
why virtually no chance?

Also pissed at my allocation hospitals. I wanted one of my placements to be in the hospital on the other side of the river but Nooooo that isn't possible. Ah well I haven't got the dreaded outside london ones.

Essentially, there were 20 or so places, most of which went to Thai students who study with us who apparently HAVE to take it. I wouldn't have wasted a slot if I had known.
Man radiology teaching is such a drag. Same goes for the medical grand rounds these last couple of weeks.
Reply 6177
Adolescent medicine = :facepalm:

Yes - but it can involve some luck. My 11 week one was about neutral to me financially (or just the proper 'holiday' fortnight cost money) - I posted more of a cost breakdown closer to the time, I think. = Medical school grant, college grant (travel and 'research' - in the looser term in that my final year essay - literature review - was related to one placement), local charitable foundation grant.

Fission_Mailed

Essentially, there were 20 or so places, most of which went to Thai students who study with us who apparently HAVE to take it. I wouldn't have wasted a slot if I had known.

Oh? I'm intrigued now... all I can think of is bad jokes!

Mushi_master

Same goes for the medical grand rounds these last couple of weeks.

You don't at least have any interesting characters or local politics going on at them? My current fancy-schmancy hospital has brutal grand rounds. :colone:
I have one more day of surgery! Next stop: mental health...
Original post by Elles
You don't at least have any interesting characters or local politics going on at them? My current fancy-schmancy hospital has brutal grand rounds. :colone:

There are some interesting characters indeed, just the last couple of weeks have been particularly unengaging and way over my head.

That reminds me, better work on my own grand round soon!

Latest

Trending

Trending