The Student Room Group

failed to get on pgce course

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mooni
I've been rejected from all four of my choices; 2 SCITTs and 2 PGCEs, despite having worked as a TA and a teacher in 3 countries my entire working life (6 years so far). My degree is in TEFL and MFL and my most recent rejection was because "you lack experience in the classroom", meanwhile, my classmate from Uni who has spent a total of 1 day in the classroom got in because he speaks Spanish...I feel rather upset because all I have ever wanted is to teach, and now I'm a bit stuck, whilst someone who only decided a couple of weeks ago to apply as "something to do", gets a place, because he speaks another language. Why couldn't they just say that I didn't offer what they want, rather than telling me on the phone that the last 6 years of my life are somewhat irrelevant to a career in teaching.

Jeez! Having read about some of the other ppl who didn't get on my rejection doesn't seem so chronic! :-)

Are u lot applying again this year? I want to apply again but not sure about Edge Hil, after their diabolical feedback and farcical interview, but places are so limited in the North West.

Any thoughts??
Deleted
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by DjGrizzlyPaws
Jeez! Having read about some of the other ppl who didn't get on my rejection doesn't seem so chronic! :-)

Are u lot applying again this year? I want to apply again but not sure about Edge Hil, after their diabolical feedback and farcical interview, but places are so limited in the North West.

Any thoughts??

What was wrong with your Edge Hill interview & feedback if you don't mind me asking?
I failed to get into the IOE with a good amount of experience with schools and children, and with a strong presentation and interview. Sadly I think I really fluffed the Maths test so that might have had something to do with it, and I also applied in late November.

I've been chasing them for feedback for months but all my requests by email, phone or otherwise fall on deaf ears. It's getting really frustrating because I've just reapplied to different providers and would like more feedback before interview. This time I'm focusing on revising my Maths a lot and I now have even more experience with children.

Hoping they'll eventually get back to me and give me decent feedback, not just some arbitrary reason.
Looking back on last year, I'm kind of glad that I am reapplying this year. However, agree with what has been said. One of my best friends got onto a PGCE no problem at all - she had the minimum of 10 days experience. It's slightly annoying, but she is a fantastic teacher. That was in MFL though and I want to do primary and then apply to SEN schools.

For me, I am simply rubbish at speaking. I am terrible at having to say things on the spot. Unfortunately for me, I got to interview stage at Greenwich and when I turned up they had changed the individual interview to a group interview! It threw me a little bit. Guess I have to try and translate that over somehow IF I even get to interview stage this time. I recieved no feedback after several emails as to why I was rejected. Goldsmiths didn't even offer an interview, nor a reason why. Just going to give it my all this time round...
Reply 45
Original post by StarBabyCat
. WHY IS IT SO HARD WE REALLY WANT TO BE TEACHERS HAVEN'T WE PROVED IT ENOUGH!?!?!

No.

Loads of people "really want to be teachers" and then they drop out during their PGCE because they realise that it's not actually for them. So they have to be really quite rigid on the whole process to make sure they really do get the people who have a passion for it.

Also, loads of people want to be teachers. There are still people out there who think "Yay loads of holidays, finish school at 3pm each day!" (stupid people of course haha) and so again, they need to make sure they're taking on people who know what they're getting into.

Finally, they know that the people who really DO want to be teachers will go through anything to become a teacher. It's an incredibly rewarding yet quite secure career. Yes, we pay through the nose, then get a decent starting salary but will work somewhere in the region of 50-60hrs a week during our first year of teaching, but we still do it! :biggrin:
Deleted
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by dobbs
No.

Loads of people "really want to be teachers" and then they drop out during their PGCE because they realise that it's not actually for them. So they have to be really quite rigid on the whole process to make sure they really do get the people who have a passion for it.

Also, loads of people want to be teachers. There are still people out there who think "Yay loads of holidays, finish school at 3pm each day!" (stupid people of course haha) and so again, they need to make sure they're taking on people who know what they're getting into.

Finally, they know that the people who really DO want to be teachers will go through anything to become a teacher. It's an incredibly rewarding yet quite secure career. Yes, we pay through the nose, then get a decent starting salary but will work somewhere in the region of 50-60hrs a week during our first year of teaching, but we still do it! :biggrin:

Hi Dobbs, i know you were only trying to be helpful, but what you said isn't true in many cases - if you read through the forums it's evident. Many of the ppl granted places on primary have little experience in schools and there's many who have ample experience rejected for whatever reason.

If your argument is that they want to ensure that places are given to those who have shown exceptional commitment to teaching, then why did so many people with little more than good academic qualifications get on the courses!?
Original post by *Darcie*
What was wrong with your Edge Hill interview & feedback if you don't mind me asking?

Hi Darcie. My interview at Edge Hill was embarrassing and a bit humiliating if I'm honest. (And it is not sour grapes as I said this to friends etc the minute it had finished). The interviewer didn't know much about primary school education at all and worse still seemed to dismiss what I was saying. It was evident from the group interview that I knew far more than the others about it, but I felt the interviewer wasn't taking any notice of this.

It was entirely frustrating, as others in the group seemed to be embraced for their wonderful insights into early years teaching, while my suggestions were glossed over (even though it was clear as I'd spent a year in Early Years that they didn't really understand how lessons were structured and progress followed etc).

So after this pretty disheartening group interview, I had to go back for an individual interview with the same interviewer and it was clear from the reaction I was getting that the interviewer just wanted to tick some boxes and get me out as quickly as possible. I timed the interviews. All the others in the group had approximately 20 mins. I was given 10 minutes.

My feedback added insult to injury by saying I didn't know enough about Early Years. Bearing in mind the interviewer wasn't an Early Years professional and didn't seem to grasp some of the things I was saying, I felt the feedback was utter rubbish and they had wasted my time.

And considering I had already waited six months for an interview (while all other places disappeared), you can see why I am reluctant to apply again :cool:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 49
I was talking about us, on here, on TSR because you can tell we're passionate about it? Are you implying that I'm not for the job? I'm not sure I like your tone, I don't think you meant to offend but sorry you have offended me :frown:

My "tone"? :confused: ....it's quite hard to have a "tone" via text. And if that offended you, maybe teaching isn't right for you? :wink: (It's a joke!)

Anyway read my post again please. I never said that you weren't good enough; I made it quite clear that I was answering your point about "haven't we proved it enough?" - I answered "No" - because they have lots of procedures and you will never stop proving that you want to be a teacher. Never...

You have to do it when you're trying to get onto a PGCE.
You do it right through your PGCE (meeting QTS standards).
You do it in your NQT year (meeting core standards).
You do it throughout your teaching career (Professional Development targets and assessment, etc.)

I don't know you, maybe you will be a fantastic teacher and put 110% of yourself into it. Maybe you won't. That's not an insult, it's just true, because I don't know you. I'm just pointing out to you why they are so strict with the process of becoming a teacher :smile:

Original post by DjGrizzlyPaws
Hi Dobbs, i know you were only trying to be helpful, but what you said isn't true in many cases - if you read through the forums it's evident. Many of the ppl granted places on primary have little experience in schools and there's many who have ample experience rejected for whatever reason.

If your argument is that they want to ensure that places are given to those who have shown exceptional commitment to teaching, then why did so many people with little more than good academic qualifications get on the courses!?

Sigh.

Where did I say that you had to show exceptional commitment to teaching through actual time spent in schools? - Nowhere. I said that you go through various processes so that they can try and weed out those who teaching probably isn't for them.

I could go get one of my friends who dislikes children and could think of nothing worse than working with them and stick them at the back of a classroom for a week or two; but he wouldn't get past the interview for a PGCE I can tell you that. It's not about the time spent observing - I spent 3 days observing, barely anything, but my attitude to teaching, my knowledge of working with kids (through things that weren't in schools), and whatever else they liked about me got me onto the course.

As I say, they want to make sure that teaching really is for you - it's not an insult, because many people start a PGCE and drop out because they hold their hands up and say "Actually, no, this isn't for me, sorry".

Apologies that you took the wrong message from my post though :smile:
Reply 50
I was talking about us, on here, on TSR because you can tell we're passionate about it? Are you implying that I'm not for the job? I'm not sure I like your tone, I don't think you meant to offend but sorry you have offended me :frown:

As Stephen Fry once said, being offended doesn't give you certain rights. It doesn't make other people responsible for you or your emotions and it doesn't mean that other people need to amend their behaviours. It just means that you need to get a grip. They clearly weren't having a dig at you, they were just pointing out that people who get rejected from PGCEs often haven't proved that they deserve to be teachers well enough to get on the course. If you want it as badly as you say and yet for some reason this fact isn't coming across in your application / interview, then you're doing something wrong.

As for jumping to conclusions about people's 'tone' and waving your offense around like it gives you some sort of importance, I don't think you'll do very well in teaching. Chill out and stop thinking that things you don't like - being rejected from a course, an innocent comment on the internet - are personal assaults on your ability to do the job. It paints you as the kind of person who, deep down, isn't as secure in your ability as you seem.

Edit: I would like to point out that this isn't an innocent comment on the internet and is, in fact, an assault on your ability to do the job based on this snapshot of your personality. You're not coming across very well at all and if this kind of reaction is indicative of how you deal with perceived slights in a professional setting then you're going to crash and burn in the classroom.
(edited 12 years ago)
I really think people on this thread need to simmer down and get back on topic. Personal attacks aren't really in the spirit of TSR, are they? I think it's easy to read the wrong things in people's tone on the internet....but, y'know, it's only an online forum guys. And I think, frankly, without knowing people in person it's a little unfair to make judgements on them. That goes for everyone on here - current teachers, PGCE hopefuls and all.

So...second time applicants, how are you guys preparing for it this time? Anything you're doing differently. I'm really focusing on the Maths this time as I think my test scores let me down.
Also, just to somewhat lighten the mood...
I've realised how inappropriate my TSR name is considering I'm applying for primary teaching. Just picked it off the top of my head (must have subconciously thought of the resource site), forgetting of course about the paedophile scandal with Sparklebox owner...

No affiliations with them, JSYK.
Original post by sparklebox
Also, just to somewhat lighten the mood...
I've realised how inappropriate my TSR name is considering I'm applying for primary teaching. Just picked it off the top of my head (must have subconciously thought of the resource site), forgetting of course about the paedophile scandal with Sparklebox owner...

No affiliations with them, JSYK.

Hahaha, thought I recognised the name from somewhere! The NQT I worked with last year had loads of sparklebox stuff in the classroom on display - it was a bit unfortunate!

Things I'm doing differently: Like you, brushing up on the old mathematics, choosing different universities and looking at SCITT, preparing myself to speak on demand (I'm useless put on the spot - have this thing where I go blank, so infuriating) and looking at two or three current topics and knowing them inside out. This year I'm just going to prepare, prepare, prepare! I did last year but clearly not enough.

I'm stuck on the university bit. Think I am definitely going to apply to IoE, but need to choose between Kingston, Roehampton, LSBU and Wandsworth SCITT for my second choice :confused:

Good luck!
Original post by pansypotter
Hahaha, thought I recognised the name from somewhere! The NQT I worked with last year had loads of sparklebox stuff in the classroom on display - it was a bit unfortunate!

Things I'm doing differently: Like you, brushing up on the old mathematics, choosing different universities and looking at SCITT, preparing myself to speak on demand (I'm useless put on the spot - have this thing where I go blank, so infuriating) and looking at two or three current topics and knowing them inside out. This year I'm just going to prepare, prepare, prepare! I did last year but clearly not enough.

I'm stuck on the university bit. Think I am definitely going to apply to IoE, but need to choose between Kingston, Roehampton, LSBU and Wandsworth SCITT for my second choice :confused:

Good luck!

Choosing different unis this time too. UEL 1st choice, St Mary's 2nd - I applied early last week so just a waiting game now. I know what you mean about the prep, I felt so prepared last time but somehow, still ended up unsuccessful. I'm doing as much as is humanly possible while juggling a demanding full-time job. I'm always hesitant to say what job I do on TSR but it's a government job related to higher education :wink: . Just madly cramming in Maths practice in the late evenings when I get home at the minute.

I think the going blank thing is common when you're nervous, so just practice, practice, practice! On friends, on relatives, pets, anyone as long as you just get used to being put on the spot. You'll get there.

Lots of luck to you too!
Original post by sparklebox
Choosing different unis this time too. UEL 1st choice, St Mary's 2nd - I applied early last week so just a waiting game now. I know what you mean about the prep, I felt so prepared last time but somehow, still ended up unsuccessful. I'm doing as much as is humanly possible while juggling a demanding full-time job. I'm always hesitant to say what job I do on TSR but it's a government job related to higher education :wink: . Just madly cramming in Maths practice in the late evenings when I get home at the minute.

I think the going blank thing is common when you're nervous, so just practice, practice, practice! On friends, on relatives, pets, anyone as long as you just get used to being put on the spot. You'll get there.

Lots of luck to you too!

I can relate to the whole demanding job thing. I work in children's social care and shift work is killing me atm. If I get on a course, I will be so happy to be working during the day! Just fitting in everything when I can - even reading the TES when I'm on a sleep-in shift!

Trying not to get my hopes up again, but it is exciting. Hopefully it will be second time lucky for us! :smile:
I can relate to the whole demanding job thing. I work in children's social care and shift work is killing me atm. If I get on a course, I will be so happy to be working during the day! Just fitting in everything when I can - even reading the TES when I'm on a sleep-in shift!

Trying not to get my hopes up again, but it is exciting. Hopefully it will be second time lucky for us! :smile:

Oh woah, that is hard. Bless you! I feel bad for complaining about my job now - I'm worked very hard and there's too much darn overtime, but it's only in an office. They love to overwork us in the public sector, eh? :wink:

Would like to work as a TA or something as it's more relevant to teaching but jobs are hard to come by and on the wages they pay I wouldn't be able to afford to live. I run a Brownies pack on Tuesday nights though so I'm still maintaining some other experience with kids :smile:. My school experience was a while ago and I can't really do any more right now but I'll just have to hope I've done enough.

Hopefully we can use the fact we juggle our jobs and other things as evidence of our brilliant time-management skills! I feel you there - I'm always madly reading the education sections of the papers when I have a spare moment! When are you sending your app off?
(edited 12 years ago)
Haha, don't. I love the kids it's just the shifts. I would find office work difficult!

I've worked as a TA in two SEN schools and have about a year and a half of TA experience. I was on contract through an agency and the latest school said that there would be no vacancies, so I had to look elsewhere because the money really was dreadful. Then, the permanent TA's were told that they may not get sick pay and that the holidays will go down as well. It's very hard to get a job as a TA - they look for qualifications now such as level 2 and 3. At the last school, level 3 TA's could teach the class when the teacher was doing PPA, and they don't get much extra for it either.

I think if you have the experience, they can't complain! As you said, focus on the postives you can get out of your current job. I was having a look at my annual leave the other day to see if I can get some experience in a mainstream school as I only have SEN experience. We can only do what we can do!

Sending my application off this week I hope. Waiting for my referee to give me her email address and then I'm sorted. I sent mine in late November last year because my referee didn't do it until the very last minute.
Haha, don't. I love the kids it's just the shifts. I would find office work difficult!

I've worked as a TA in two SEN schools and have about a year and a half of TA experience. I was on contract through an agency and the latest school said that there would be no vacancies, so I had to look elsewhere because the money really was dreadful. Then, the permanent TA's were told that they may not get sick pay and that the holidays will go down as well. It's very hard to get a job as a TA - they look for qualifications now such as level 2 and 3. At the last school, level 3 TA's could teach the class when the teacher was doing PPA, and they don't get much extra for it either.

I think if you have the experience, they can't complain! As you said, focus on the postives you can get out of your current job. I was having a look at my annual leave the other day to see if I can get some experience in a mainstream school as I only have SEN experience. We can only do what we can do!

Sending my application off this week I hope. Waiting for my referee to give me her email address and then I'm sorted. I sent mine in late November last year because my referee didn't do it until the very last minute.

I know - TA pay is actually shocking for the amount they're expected to do. Not even close to the living wage seeing as you generally only get paid in term time. The trend of some schools using TAs as cheap, unqualified teachers is an absolute scandal - it undermines teachers and isn't fair on TAs for the wages they get paid and seeing as they're unqualified for the job.

But yes, you're right - it's all about how we discuss it. I've got a Politics degree and I have plenty to say about that relates to education and what not, even if it isn't strictly relevant. And job-wise, I think there are always lots of transferable skills. As dobbs said somewhere else on this or another thread, they like applicants with other employment experience as it brings a new dimension to things.

I sent mine late November last time too as I didn't get myself together in time - let's hope early application has its benefits this time.

The school I worked at as a TA (not an HLTA, which is the level 3 qualification) used lv 3 ones to cover PPA, but the teachers planned the lessons. It worked fine. It does depend on how much schools give them tho

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending