The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by medbh4805
just got an offer from manchester

:woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:

That's brilliant!! Good on you :biggrin:
Reply 7701
Original post by AnimalSpirit
Especially because of the high grades? Maybe official entrance requirements weren't fulfilled?

Possibly. Maybe her school didn't predict her any A*? We can only speculate, but just be thankful we haven't been rejected yet! :u:
Original post by irina793
My portfolio was just delivered to Oxford!!!!! and someone named Francis signed for it!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:::biggrin:

WOOT, that's so good :biggrin: That's you pretty much done. Just a slight wait now till mid November. I am so jealous!
Original post by Groat
Possibly. Maybe her school didn't predict her any A*? We can only speculate, but just be thankful we haven't been rejected yet! :u:

Yet being the operative word :frown:

What happened to your wolf, incidentally? I was convinced you were a wolf-boy...
Original post by Groat

Econ+Econ History is AAB..this is quite surprising..ofcourse the 'low' entry requirements doesnt say anything about the quality if applicants, though.
Original post by Groat

I know.. I want an offer though! Preferably unconditional :wink: NOW :colone:
Reply 7706
Original post by such_a_lady
Yet being the operative word :frown:

What happened to your wolf, incidentally? I was convinced you were a wolf-boy...

Fingers crossed that won't be the case. If I get an LSE offer I may dance around the house like a fool. :colondollar:

I deleted my avatar for a bit, but now I can't find where I got the wolf from. :cry2:
I just heard of the first rejection - A girl on the LSE Applicants thread just got rejected for Econ & EconHistory.. And she had great grades.. Must have been a brutal reference or bad PS? Who knows?

great like what? did she tell you her predictions or she just said she thought they were great?

if it's the latter... well isn't that very subjective? like, for someone who sucks at subject X, getting a B is already great but for someone who's really really brilliant at that subject, a B isn't that great. maybe she thinks her grades are great, but the university has a different definition of "great grades"?
Original post by Groat
Fingers crossed that won't be the case. If I get an LSE offer I may dance around the house like a fool. :colondollar:

I deleted my avatar for a bit, but now I can't find where I got the wolf from. :cry2:

I would be feeling kind of awkward though.. I wanna get into Oxford so bad :smile:
Original post by Groat

I miss it :frown:

Cambridge thread not lively enough for you again? :wink:

And I would love to see that dancing xD
Original post by desy.kris
great like what? did she tell you her predictions or she just said she thought they were great?

if it's the latter... well isn't that very subjective? like, for someone who sucks at subject X, getting a B is already great but for someone who's really really brilliant at that subject, a B isn't that great. maybe she thinks her grades are great, but the university has a different definition of "great grades"?

Her academics were listed on her profile.. :smile:
I was told my predictions by my teachers today, and one went up which I hadn't expected at all which was lovely, but another went down by the same amount, which was a little annoying as I'd previously been told it wouldn't change :/ But overall I'm pleased. Also, could somebody please tell me how it's possible to view signatures? I'm a bit of a newbie so I haven't figured this out yet :tongue:
Reply 7712
I would be feeling kind of awkward though.. I wanna get into Oxford so bad :smile:

Same with me and Cambridge, but I need to tell my brain that I should feel similarly about LSE as it's amazing!

I miss it :frown:

Cambridge thread not lively enough for you again? :wink:

And I would love to see that dancing xD

I'll try and find it for you! :u:

Yeah, the Cambridge thread is a bit slow actually.
Reply 7713

Estonian is, incidentally, a Finno-Ungaric language and is the hardest in the world to learn. It has fourteen cases. I also learnt Mandarin on an intensive course (which have sadly stopped due to the cuts) in Y9. :biggrin: I can ask for a map and ince cream as well as the normal "hi", "how are you", stuff.

Hi there!

I'm relatively new to TSR, but as a Hungarian Oxford applicant, I would like to agree with what you've said! Finno-Uralic languages really are unlike any other European language and they're notoriously difficult to learn. I've attempted to teach several English friends Hungarian but the result was always utter failure. :smile: I suggest you take a look at it, if you're really up for a challenge :tongue:
It's awful. What makes it worse is it being my Oxford submission :rofl: Two essays in one night, both for Oxford, and then my German one tomorrow :rofl: Doing well here! What would you say makes cloning of cells and bits of organs a threat to humanity? :biggrin:

Ooh, i'm so glad i have no written work to submit haha!

A threat? Urrgghh. Well, i suppose you could generalise the concept to the possibility of embryo or whole-human cloning which would lead to a whole range of problems such as: designer babies, whether people of more popularity will be able to buy into having themselves cloned (i.e. celebs), and thus whether if human clones ever became real then would they be able to generally integrate into society which would severely reduce the gene pool, or would they be treated as 2nd-class citizens and be essentially used as 'spare parts'. Of course, that's all hypothetical. In terms of just cells and organs you could relate it to the fact that many groups such as Catholicism (which i'm guessing is the most predominant religion in Spain) repel such concepts and thus it would warrant even more religious-political instability. You could also take the very controversial stance that the ability to simply create new tissue would essentially solve a ridiculous amount of illnesses, thus causing more people to live in our already over-populated world... i'm sure you can see where i'm going with this. Additionally, research is extremely time-consuming and expensive and i suppose you could suggest that some people may see it as not economically viable in many countries current financial situations. Sorry, i'm not very good at arguing against something i agree with :rofl:

Original post by medbh4805
just got an offer from manchester

:woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:

Wooo Manchester! Well Done! :biggrin:
Original post by Groat
Same with me and Cambridge, but I need to tell my brain that I should feel similarly about LSE as it's amazing!

I'll try and find it for you! :u:

Yeah, the Cambridge thread is a bit slow actually.

If the pace remains like this on the Oxford thread it will be maxed out way before interviews :smile:
such_a_lady
It has fourteen cases.

:sexface:
Original post by imre93
Hi there!

I'm relatively new to TSR, but as a Hungarian Oxford applicant, I would like to agree with what you've said! Finno-Uralic languages really are unlike any other European language and they're notoriously difficult to learn. I've attempted to teach several English friends Hungarian but the result was always utter failure. :smile: I suggest you take a look at it, if you're really up for a challenge :tongue:

What have you applied to?
Yeah, I applied for straight Econ at LSE, UCL (3+4 years) & Warwick.. And then of course E&M at Oxford.. I hope I at least get into a couple of my choices.. :smile:

You will! Don't worry, you got amazing grades plus a year at the Copenhagen Business school as far as I can remember? :smile: I am kind of scared of LSE anyway, I am 99% sure that I'll get rejected, but just like Groat said, if I get an offer, I'll dance around like a crazy person :biggrin:
Original post by imre93
Hi there!

Jo napot :tongue: Hogy vagy?
Köszönöm :tongue: Okay that's from pure memory so I know it's ALL WRONG. I went to Budapest in 09 and it was just stunning, amazing place.

Latest

Trending

Trending