The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chrosson

Really?
Does 'in use' imply total amount sold?
I'm not trying to be difficult, I just want to double check my understanding - if true it certainly is somewhat alarming...

It covers all Android tablets using Google's inbuilt services like web browser, app marketplace, etc, so the number is likely to be slightly higher. I can't imagine it being too substantial a percentage though. Either way even if that's a worrying number, Apple's userbase is growing by that much every couple of months, and from what I've seen of Ice Cream Sandwich Google haven't done enough to make any major change to that.

On a more comical note, I've just found this side-by-side comparison of the iPhone 4/4S and the Galaxy Nexus. I can't make up my mind if the Nexus looks comically huge or if I'm going to feel inadequate with my iPhone when I stand next to somebody holding one! Either way it made me giggle :ahee:
Reply 9861
Original post by tface
...Apple store?

You're way off. It's much closer to home, you're probably about a foot away from it right now!

Bigger screen is okay, but means more battery drain. And I bet the Nexus doesn't beat the iPhone for pixel density. And there's the fact that iOS is much nicer to use, although it doesn't do nearly as much as Android OS can of course.
I was more thinking of people who've bought an android phone and then upgraded it...although I see what you mean, even if the entire userbase has done that twice, we're only talking about half a year of iDevice sales.

How depressing.
Original post by Dez
You're way off. It's much closer to home, you're probably about a foot away from it right now!

Now I'm confused XD

Bigger screen is okay, but means more battery drain. And I bet the Nexus doesn't beat the iPhone for pixel density. And there's the fact that iOS is much nicer to use, although it doesn't do nearly as much as Android OS can of course.

Yeah the retina display still trounces it in that regard, 233ppi compared to 330. And I agree, iOS is a lot more fluid and while it doesn't offer the insane customisability Android does, I'd rather have an OS that runs properly, I could pick up definite lag in some of the animations on the Galaxy S2 of all phones, compared to iOS which actually feels optimised. Plus the app store :drool:

I was more thinking of people who've bought an android phone and then upgraded it...although I see what you mean, even if the entire userbase has done that twice, we're only talking about half a year of iDevice sales.

How depressing.

Yep, despite being an Apple fanboy proponent I'd like Android to be in a position to tempt me away, as the old saying goes "competition breeds creativity". Although given the ridiculous state of the tech industry these last few months, I suspect "competition breeds utterly moronic patent wars" is probably more apt :|
Original post by Dez

BT? Virgin? Sky? A mobile or wireless network?

Barr? Dell? Sony? Canon? Sennheiser? Oxford University Press? I'm describing things in a ~1 foot radius. :pierre:
Reply 9865
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
BT? Virgin? Sky? A mobile or wireless network?

Barr? Dell? Sony? Canon? Sennheiser? Oxford University Press? I'm describing things in a ~1 foot radius. :pierre:

You've missed one. :p:
Original post by Dez

British Gas!

Original post by G8D
How did you calculate the ppi? I'm getting ~315 using some online tool I Googled.

315 for the nexus or iPhone?

Original post by G8D
Galaxy Nexus.

Yours is probably right, I've just realised gsmarena was giving me the ppi for the Nexus S rather than then Galaxy Nexus =P
Reply 9869
Original post by Dez

Computer/laptop/monitor/keyboard?
Original post by Dez
Nope. Think closer to home. :awesome:

Acumen PI? :holmes:
Original post by Tathrim
Your sanity? :tongue:

In all seriousness, what've you been meaning to replace but not gotten around to doing so?

:dontknow: I don't think I need to replace anything, tbh.

Original post by Dez
Same here. :moon: I have about £150 in Amazon vouchers lying about, and no idea what I should do with them. Hmm.

£150 :eek2:

Original post by alexsheppard11
Seagate and WD hard drive prices are going up, so get them now

I don't need any HDDs :emo: Why are the prices going up out of interest?

Original post by Dez
My vouchers will have expired by then probably. :p:

Incidentally, I have a new job starting soon. You'll never guess where. :holmes:

TSR? :colone:
Reply 9872
Original post by ch0llima
Acumen PI? :holmes:

Give the man a medal. :top:

I'd have thought it'd be the first thing to spring to mind, don't you all spend your lives on here yet? :p:
Original post by secretmessages
I don't need any HDDs :emo: Why are the prices going up out of interest?

I think it was due to flooding in/around their Thailand factory:s-smilie:
Reply 9874
Bright sparks.

My dissertation is on ecurity related issues regarding different peer groups and data loss. Doing a bit of research into it, however what would you guys say is best...

I have a router and have my two laptops connected to it wirelessly. Laptop 1 will be my laptop and laptop 2 will be the target laptop.

What is the best way to get the password for a hotmail account on laptop 2 (Note: I've already done and then ousted keylogging).
The network is secure, but both laptops are connected.
I am thinking of packet sniffing (not really in the know with packet sniffing, no idea how to use WireShark).
What do you guys think?
Original post by Dez
Give the man a medal. :top:

I'd have thought it'd be the first thing to spring to mind, don't you all spend your lives on here yet? :p:

You'll get a nice red user title and a two character username then? :holmes:

'Grats d00d, I need to start looking for graduate level employment :emo:

Original post by Puma
Bright sparks.

My dissertation is on ecurity related issues regarding different peer groups and data loss. Doing a bit of research into it, however what would you guys say is best...

I have a router and have my two laptops connected to it wirelessly. Laptop 1 will be my laptop and laptop 2 will be the target laptop.

What is the best way to get the password for a hotmail account on laptop 2 (Note: I've already done and then ousted keylogging).
I am thinking of packet sniffing (not really in the know with packet sniffing, no idea how to use WireShark).
What do you guys think?

Well, Hotmail is SSL secured (at least in Europe) so immediate packet inspection is out of the window as it'll all be encrypted. Packet sniffing is a good start, however - I'm not going to give you any major hints but look into a tool called "SSLStrip" and research Man-in-the-Middle attacks if you haven't learned about those already.

That would be my first guess :smile:
Original post by Puma
Bright sparks.

What do you guys think?

Given that hotmail now uses https by default and you specified you want the password without keylogging, you're looking at ssl man in the middle attack I think.

never mind

Sslstrip looks like a very elegant way of doing it :holmes:
I guess comparing mine and ch0llima's posts is a good demo of the movement of the security field and why non-experts are useless.
Reply 9877
The password am looking for is also for social networking, Facebook account (and oddly a Caravan forum: don't ask...).

I'll look into man in the middle. I have four days to come up with a viable option to present to my lecturer :frown:
:emo:

I come to you guys as my last resort to figure out an idea for a honours project idea... I'm supposed to be working with Kinect but I'm stumped for any innovative ideas...

Anyone? :colondollar:
Original post by Puma
The password am looking for is also for social networking, Facebook account (and oddly a Caravan forum: don't ask...).

I'll look into man in the middle. I have four days to come up with a viable option to present to my lecturer :frown:

There's 'man in the browser' as well.

Latest

Trending

Trending