The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Bad things about Royal Holloway?

Scroll to see replies

:absinth: Yh veg is always cheaper for some reason, probably because meat is still seen as a 'luxury' product, stereotypically. I can think of worse things to live off than vegetable curry :colone:
thanks for clearing up the pressing query as the tour guide left me baffled.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Original post by Forget that
:absinth: Yh veg is always cheaper for some reason, probably because meat is still seen as a 'luxury' product, stereotypically. I can think of worse things to live off than vegetable curry :colone:
thanks for clearing up the pressing query as the tour guide left me baffled.

TSR told me the most I knew before I came here, actually. And then it turned out to be wrong.

The veg curry is delicious. Usually chick peas and junk. Beware of carbs. :tongue:

I guess so. It's good for my wallet, my health, and that part of my conscience that doesn't justify the slaughter of animals for my enjoyment.
Original post by megfashion
*note: im not trying to troll here*

Well I've heard about all the good things, and well i am 99.9% likely going to go here.

However, i don't like going into something without being prepared for the other side, the side that no one tells you!

so... what are some bad points? like is it pricey dinners, no guests allowed at accomodation, not big enough rooms, bad night-life....

Let me give you the full list from somebody I know who switched to my Uni after spending his first year at Royal Holloway.

Outdated accommodation.
No nightlife.
Too expensive.
Awful gym.
Sub-standard lecturers.
Virtually no support outside of lectures.
Not enough societies.
Virtually no funding from the Uni for any society meaning that they are all struggling, sports clubs using 10 year old kit, that kind of thing.

Thats about it from the top of my head although I'll ask him tomorrow and I'm sure there are one or two things that I'm missing out.
Original post by mackemforever
Let me give you the full list from somebody I know who switched to my Uni after spending his first year at Royal Holloway.

Outdated accommodation.
No nightlife.
Too expensive.
Awful gym.
Sub-standard lecturers.
Not enough societies.
Virtually no funding from the Uni for any society meaning that they are all struggling, sports clubs using 10 year old kit, that kind of thing.

Thats about it from the top of my head although I'll ask him tomorrow and I'm sure there are one or two things that I'm missing out.

The ones about teaching vary from course to course. It's not expensive compared to some unis. Least not London unis. Where do you get that from?
Reply 24

Outdated accommodation. Yes, I can't believe their latest halls were built in 2007! How awful.
No nightlife. Yeah, that refurbished SU that's open most weekday nights, and that Medicine Bar and the pub underneath it, and the regular trips to clubs in London are all just rubbish...I mean, they don't even exist! Because there's NO nightlife at all, right?
Too expensive.Okay, can't disagree here.
Awful gym. ...Yeah, it's pretty bad.
Sub-standard lecturers. I can't even be sarcastic about this one. How on earth someone managed to find out about the lecturing capabilities of every single lecturer at the university, I can't imagine.
Virtually no support outside of lectures. Same as above. This person is practically omniscient!
Not enough societies. Anyone who knows what I mean when I say 'craft society' will understand that we have plenty of these. Many. We have societies pouring out of our ears and other orifices.
Virtually no funding from the Uni for any society meaning that they are all struggling, sports clubs using 10 year old kit, that kind of thing. They gave Debating Soc. £1000 this year. £1000. What we're going to do with that money, I don't know, seeing as our main expenditures consist of...oxygen use? Oh, and subsidising IV travel. And buying Baileys from Crosslands. We do a lot of that on the club.

Yes, I look forward to hearing more from your mother's brother's father's great uncle twice removed and stuffed with strawberry jelly person thing. I really do.
Original post by Schemilix
TSR told me the most I knew before I came here, actually. And then it turned out to be wrong.

The veg curry is delicious. Usually chick peas and junk. Beware of carbs. :tongue:

I guess so. It's good for my wallet, my health, and that part of my conscience that doesn't justify the slaughter of animals for my enjoyment.

Can't disagree with that.
In the words of Oscar Wilde himself, 'I hate people who are not serious about food; it is so shallow of them.'

*sorry, its an english thing :bird:
Reply 26

Sub-standard lecturers.

Would be helpful if you elaborate further.
Can't disagree with that.
In the words of Oscar Wilde himself, 'I hate people who are not serious about food; it is so shallow of them.'

*sorry, its an english thing :bird:

I'm pretty non-serious about food. Sorry Mr. Wilde. I'll just have to bring my diary so I have something scandalous to read on the train.
Original post by llacerta
Yes, I look forward to hearing more from your mother's brother's father's great uncle twice removed and stuffed with strawberry jelly person thing. I really do.

Sorry but i had to tell you your use of the word 'omniscient' in that rant was truly inspirational.
Well done :yep:
I'm pretty non-serious about food. Sorry Mr. Wilde. I'll just have to bring my diary so I have something scandalous to read on the train.

Jesus Christ I just realized just how sad i am that i actually knew what that meant.
:puppyeyes: I'm genuinely scared now
Reply 30
Sorry but i had to tell you your use of the word 'omniscient' in that rant was truly inspirational.
Well done :yep:

I thank you. :biggrin:

I also realise that it might be a case of TROOOOOLL IN THE DUNGEON, but it's still fun to have a rant nevertheless!
Reply 31

Outdated accommodation. Yes, I can't believe their latest halls were built in 2007! How awful.
No nightlife. Yeah, that refurbished SU that's open most weekday nights, and that Medicine Bar and the pub underneath it, and the regular trips to clubs in London are all just rubbish...I mean, they don't even exist! Because there's NO nightlife at all, right?
Too expensive.Okay, can't disagree here.
Awful gym. ...Yeah, it's pretty bad.

Sub-standard lecturers. I can't even be sarcastic about this one. How on earth someone managed to find out about the lecturing capabilities of every single lecturer at the university, I can't imagine.
Virtually no support outside of lectures. Same as above. This person is practically omniscient!
Not enough societies. Anyone who knows what I mean when I say 'craft society' will understand that we have plenty of these. Many. We have societies pouring out of our ears and other orifices.
Virtually no funding from the Uni for any society meaning that they are all struggling, sports clubs using 10 year old kit, that kind of thing. They gave Debating Soc. £1000 this year. £1000. What we're going to do with that money, I don't know, seeing as our main expenditures consist of...oxygen use? Oh, and subsidising IV travel. And buying Baileys from Crosslands. We do a lot of that on the club.

I think you need to calm down. That's what the guy experienced from his perspectives. He has the every right to criticize the uni as much as the next person praising it. He is not at all generalizing. He's just giving his own opinion from what he's experienced and you should accept that. Who are you to tell him otherwise?

I don't really care about the ones I strike down when I go for a Uni Open day these days or even before. Once I find out the lecturer and the lectures are great with great support, I will start looking at the once I strike down.
(edited 12 years ago)
Jesus Christ I just realized just how sad i am that i actually knew what that meant.
:puppyeyes: I'm genuinely scared now

I remember a quote by Oscar Wilde came up in triv once. 'The only thing I can't resist is...'

I answered 'young men'. :s-smilie:

P.S. You think you're bad. That's your degree. I'm a biologist. Saaaad.
Reply 33
Original post by kka25
That's what the guy experienced from his perspectives.

If only that were the case...Unfortunately, if you look at the couple of lines of his post, he was apparently told this by a 'friend', so this is not his perspective at all.

(Though even if it were, such generalisations are still brash. Despite having attended this university for over a year, I would never make comment on the lecturers in departments outside of my own, as who am I to do so?)
I thank you. :biggrin:

I also realise that it might be a case of TROOOOOLL IN THE DUNGEON, but it's still fun to have a rant nevertheless!

Why not? Its all good fun. :angelblush:
:colone:
I remember a quote by Oscar Wilde came up in triv once. 'The only thing I can't resist is...'

I answered 'young men'. :s-smilie:

P.S. You think you're bad. That's your degree. I'm a biologist. Saaaad.

Not really... people don't really need an excuse to read! I know someone whose read more than i have (a near impossible feat) but is doing maths at uni.
So whateves... people still ask me for help with chemistry :dontknow:
Slightly off topic but in IFIS yesterday, we watched LoTR:FotR and when the troll popped up? Yeah, that. Then 'successful troll is successful' when he speared Frodo. Good times.

Not really... people don't really need an excuse to read! I know someone whose read more than i have (a near impossible feat) but is doing maths at uni.
So whateves... people still ask me for help with chemistry :dontknow:

People ask me for help with anything. Maybe I just sound like I know what I'm talking about, because I really don't. I end every explanation with, 'But don't quote me on that' to resolve myself of blame.
(edited 12 years ago)

People ask me for help with anything. Maybe I just sound like I know what I'm talking about, because I really don't. I end every explanation with, 'But don't quote me on that' to resolve myself of blame.

Haha, i used to do that.... until English A-level then i ended everything with a quote :biggrin:
anyways good luck with your degree, i'm sure RH food will help :eating:
even if it is vegtables
Reply 38
If only that were the case...Unfortunately, if you look at the couple of lines of his post, he was apparently told this by a 'friend', so this is not his perspective at all.

(Though even if it were, such generalisations are still brash. Despite having attended this university for over a year, I would never make comment on the lecturers in departments outside of my own, as who am I to do so?)

I'm aware that it's his 'friend' that made the comment. Maybe I should put 'themselves' to make it clearer.

Maybe rather then looking at it directly like a 16 year old and being emotional about it, this person might be referring to their department? Although this person didn't make it clear, one could assume it that way. However, assuming that they are attacking the entire Uni is rather brash itself won't you say?

And why is that wrong to attack RH as a whole? A department is a part of the Uni. Although it's a bit unfair, but that's the reality of it. It's not; BA of X from Department of X. It's BA of X from Royal Holloway, UoL. So RH as a whole can be responsible for one negative department. From my experience, it's a red flag for the Uni if I heard such criticism. Rectors, Deans and Heads of RH better fry the HOD asses off if if one of their departments is one lousy crap hole.
Haha, i used to do that.... until English A-level then i ended everything with a quote :biggrin:
anyways good luck with your degree, i'm sure RH food will help :eating:
even if it is vegtables

Oh English A-level. I used to write the stupidest crap and get more marks for it than what I really tried on. Word vomit your half-formed opinions on paper? Full marks. No lie. I even did it on a book that wasn't in the course! (well, one was, other wasn't). English a-level is so unpredictable. I suppose being unable to take my own side in an argument makes me good at writing both sides of an argument.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending