The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Yesterday I was told by one person that I am wasting away, and called fat by another. As you might imaigne, I responded rather differently to each. When the guy called me fat I wanted to burst into tears wear I was sitting. Of course this is ridiculous because I know he didn't mean it, but it still really really really hurts me.

I also just want to say how impressed I am by all you brave, brave peole who are working so hard to get better and live your lives better. It is an inspiration.
Original post by sentiment
Yesterday I was told by one person that I am wasting away, and called fat by another. As you might imaigne, I responded rather differently to each. When the guy called me fat I wanted to burst into tears wear I was sitting. Of course this is ridiculous because I know he didn't mean it, but it still really really really hurts me.

I also just want to say how impressed I am by all you brave, brave peole who are working so hard to get better and live your lives better. It is an inspiration.

hugs. I know how you feel on the being called fat part. According to one of the lads in the chorus for the school play, when I've my kimono and obi on, I look fat. Not impressed.
Original post by sentiment

Oh stop being silly darling ;]

When i got upset at things like that I just told myself I was being silly. Strangely silliness makes things seem better, I think it's the way it rolls of the tongue. You know better than other people as to what you need (to eat), fat is a nutrient not a description of a person.

I remember once me and my friends were sitting around a table, playing a drinking game. I was nearing my lowest weight, and one of them simply turned to me and said;
"Oh Tom, you're so fat"
Cut me to the core. Now I feel a lot better about things. They told me later that they were just trying to make a hyperbole about my thinness, and now I know how silly I was at being upset. ED is a bi*ch.
Original post by Antiaris
Oh stop being silly darling ;]

When i got upset at things like that I just told myself I was being silly. Strangely silliness makes things seem better, I think it's the way it rolls of the tongue. You know better than other people as to what you need (to eat), fat is a nutrient not a description of a person.

I remember once me and my friends were sitting around a table, playing a drinking game. I was nearing my lowest weight, and one of them simply turned to me and said;
"Oh Tom, you're so fat"
Cut me to the core. Now I feel a lot better about things. They told me later that they were just trying to make a hyperbole about my thinness, and now I know how silly I was at being upset. ED is a bi*ch.

Thank you for this. Actually sometimes all you need is for someone to say, 'shut up, you're being stupid'.
Ok I am wanting advice about my eating habits again which are bad, I notice in the last 2 weeks I am either starving or filling my face the common thread being I only eat whats in front of me i.e if I have not much in fridge I will starve and not feel that hungry however give me a large meal or take away nd I am full after a bite or two but trick myself into saying I need to eat it all so I could have stomach pains but still eat it.

That and I say I starve all day and eat my daily food late at night.
Order your day into 3 meals, 3 snacks.

Pay attention to the food you are eating, noticing texture in every mouthful.

When the food stops being pleasurable stop eating. Taste is the forgotten indicator of satiety.

Oh, and also always have food at hand. You may be doing a thing of hoarding the food when you have it, starving when you don't. Tell your body that food is ALWAYS available.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1906
Original post by amyshamblesxx
I suppose because I eat breakfast normally, go to work and eat lunch normally, it's just the evenings when I'm alone that I make myself sick if I can. I feel like me during the day is completely different to the person I become after work, it sounds stupid I know but I can keep it all under control when I'm around other people but when I'm left to my own devices I just go crazy. Maybe I'm wrong but I always thought bulimics were constantly binging and purging throughout the day, and that Im just a binge eater. Typing this is making me see that maybe I have a warped sense of this ED..

A few times I've made appointments to speak to a doctor but I've always cancelled them, I'm so unbelievably ashamed of myself I can't imagine ever telling someone how badly I'm treating my body :frown:

It's possible that you're taking up all your efforts on controlling yourself and keeping up appearances for others in the day to a point where in the evening you're dying to let it out, and it's just coming out at this extreme. You don't have to pretend to anyone that things are okay, that only gives an ED further room to grow and develop. It thrives on secrecy. And in any case, it doesn't really matter whether you fit into the bulimia or binge eater category. At the end of the day, these are arbitary labels designed primarily to aid the medical and mental professionals in a plan for your treatment and recovery. Right now, all that matters is you're a person and you're in great pain, both physically and emotionally. I think that's enough to warrant some help.
In a usual scenario I'd suggest some layman, probably inappropriate tips on coping with emotional eating and alternative activities, but considering your diabetes here I'm just gonna have to say please, please go see the doctor. You've nothing to be ashamed of.
I know this might be a daft Q, but do people know if you have to insert information about eating disorders in a personal statement for UCAS? I'm applying to do Nutrition and Food Consumer Science in Reading, and I'm not certain if ;
a) I should mention it in disabilities (It listed depression as a disability so...)
b) I should mention it in my personal statement (Probably shouldn't. "I grew a great passion for nutrition when I developed an eating disorder and began wondering if carrots would make me fat...")(ON THE OTHER HAND I COULD say it made me appreciate the importance of nutrition more whilst RECOVERING from this eating disorder...)
I know this might be a daft Q, but do people know if you have to insert information about eating disorders in a personal statement for UCAS? I'm applying to do Nutrition and Food Consumer Science in Reading, and I'm not certain if ;
a) I should mention it in disabilities (It listed depression as a disability so...)
b) I should mention it in my personal statement (Probably shouldn't. "I grew a great passion for nutrition when I developed an eating disorder and began wondering if carrots would make me fat...")(ON THE OTHER HAND I COULD say it made me appreciate the importance of nutrition more whilst RECOVERING from this eating disorder...)

I'm not sure about the degree you are talking about, but when I was researching dietetics degrees a few years ago I seem to remember reading that if you have been treated for an ED (not sure if it meant in-patient or just psych care) then you would not be allowed to do the course.

I'd probably mention it in the disabilities section, but as you've said, put in somewhere else that you are in the process of recovery.
Reply 1909

Spoiler

Could just be the weather as I know I suffer anxiety badly too, but supposing it is low blood pressure again; how dangerous is it? And if it is, can I remedy it by adding sodium via table salt? I haven't added salt to meals except something like Christmas dinner for 2 years, but starting to feel it's necessary...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1910
I've been so disgusted with not just pro-ana, but anorexia anything lately. I'm just so over the all-consuming consumer's disease being in my life.
Is anyone on fluoxetine??

Ive been prescribed 60mg/day Im concerned about it :colondollar:
Original post by Anonymous
Is anyone on fluoxetine??

Ive been prescribed 60mg/day Im concerned about it :colondollar:

I've been on it for....um...at least 8 months I think. And before that I've been on other SSRIs.

Anyway, I haven't had any ad side effects from it, and it is one of the easier anti-depressants to come off, not giving you so many withdrawal symptoms.

However, as for its abilities is helping me mentally, I wouldn't say it has been much help. My parents tell me I am less anxious and irritable when on fluoxetine, but my depression/anorexia/dissosciation is just the same. 60mg is quite a high does by the way, you may experience a few side effects if you're not already on anything.

Still, just because it doesn't help me in the way I would like, doesn't mean that it won't help you :smile: And as I'm sure you've been told, it can take 6 weeks or longer for the meds to kick in and start working, so you have to be patient.

xx

I wouldn't mention it in a PS but then you are entering a field where quite a few people with histories of EDs seem to gravitate so I'm not sure it would be very unusual. But I've heard so many conflicting things... my ex dietician said people with EDs aren't allowed to do dietetic type courses so I don't know! If you stress that you're recovering and mention how your knowledge in nutrition helped your recovery and how you'd like to learn more/help others, I'm sure it wil be ok. When I was applying, I just said I had one or more mental illness on the UCAS form- I don't think you can actually say you have an ED on the form, they have general categories if I remember correctly... I might be wrong though! My reference didn't specify anything and just said that I'd been unwell to explain my missing year. You could try to get your reference to mention it?
xxx
two dietetics i met are skinny. why?:s-smilie:
Checked.

A few courses have issues, some don't. It's something I've got to check with the course first.

But a bit of a downer. I have an A, B and a C in A-Level with a Biology As-Level at C. They ask for 320 points.

I have 340.

They then expand. 320 Points in the equivalent of 3 A Levels. I have 300 at A-Level. Pooped. :[

So problem compounded.

Oh, as I said I pop in my paintings, v. small.

http://scrambledmarmalade.blogspot.com/
Checked.

A few courses have issues, some don't. It's something I've got to check with the course first.

But a bit of a downer. I have an A, B and a C in A-Level with a Biology As-Level at C. They ask for 320 points.

I have 340.

They then expand. 320 Points in the equivalent of 3 A Levels. I have 300 at A-Level. Pooped. :[

So problem compounded.

Lovely paintings :smile:
I'm sick. :sad: I have a throat infection. I thought it was just a cold so I didn't bother seeing a doctor as I thought it would go away and then it changed into a sore throat and then it changed into a cough and then it changed into a chesty cough with dizziness, weakness, hot and cold bouts, nausea and chest pains. I finally went to the doctor this morning and she said that I probably caught a virus that caused the cold and then because my immune system was weakened, I caught another virus on top of it. I've been told to rest, drink water and take paracetamol, 3 things I hate doing. :rolleyes:
She said if it's not gone in a week, she'll do a blood test for glandular fever. Hopefully it will be gone by then... it's been 3 weeks already. I'm so annoyed because I felt so faint that I missed my creative writing class, I've been trying to keep warm to see if it helps but I'm missing the theatre show I was meant to review for the student newspaper and I really wanted to see the show and be published. I feel unreliable and unproductive. :frown: I think I saw blood in my phlegm (sorry for TMI) and I'm just not happy. I hate being sick. It just ****s me off because I have better things to do than staying in bed and resting! And now I'm too damn dizzy to go and get some Vitamin C pills/oranges. My mum keeps saying 'I told you so' because she told me to go to the doctor weeks ago and she's been going on about the lack of vitamins/minerals in my diet for ages so she's kind of like 'I knew you'd get ill.' I rarely get ill! Now I'm annoyed at myself because if I actually ate things with nutrients in it, I might not have got so sick! I stocked up on dried fruit yesterday so hopefully it will do me some good. So... I'm slowly eliminating the **** from my diet and replacing it with healthy foods. I'm enjoying avocado again even though it still scares me. It's not like any safe foods exist for me anymore so I might as well try to eat healthy things when they all scare me. Maybe this virus is a blessing in disguise, I can't just keep eating and living the way I am without being sick and it reminds me of my approach to my ED. I ignore it and then it gets worse and I miss out on things. I can't let that happen again. I just want to be frigging better already!
/moan

On the upside, I booked an appointment with my GP for monitoring. I just can't wait to go home now. This university thing is exhausting.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1918
Original post by diamonddust
I'm sick. :sad: I have a throat infection. I thought it was just a cold so I didn't bother seeing a doctor as I thought it would go away and then it changed into a sore throat and then it changed into a cough and then it changed into a chesty cough with dizziness, weakness, hot and cold bouts, nausea and chest pains. I finally went to the doctor this morning and she said that I probably caught a virus that caused the cold and then because my immune system was weakened, I caught another virus on top of it. I've been told to rest, drink water and take paracetamol, 3 things I hate doing. :rolleyes:
She said if it's not gone in a week, she'll do a blood test for glandular fever. Hopefully it will be gone by then... it's been 3 weeks already. I'm so annoyed because I felt so faint that I missed my creative writing class, I've been trying to keep warm to see if it helps but I'm missing the theatre show I was meant to review for the student newspaper and I really wanted to see the show and be published. I feel unreliable and unproductive. :frown: I think I saw blood in my phlegm (sorry for TMI) and I'm just not happy. I hate being sick. It just ****s me off because I have better things to do than staying in bed and resting! And now I'm too damn dizzy to go and get some Vitamin C pills/oranges. My mum keeps saying 'I told you so' because she told me to go to the doctor weeks ago and she's been going on about the lack of vitamins/minerals in my diet for ages so she's kind of like 'I knew you'd get ill.' I rarely get ill! Now I'm annoyed at myself because if I actually ate things with nutrients in it, I might not have got so sick! I stocked up on dried fruit yesterday so hopefully it will do me some good. So... I'm slowly eliminating the **** from my diet and replacing it with healthy foods. I'm enjoying avocado again even though it still scares me. It's not like any safe foods exist for me anymore so I might as well try to eat healthy things when they all scare me. Maybe this virus is a blessing in disguise, I can't just keep eating and living the way I am without being sick and it reminds me of my approach to my ED. I ignore it and then it gets worse and I miss out on things. I can't let that happen again. I just want to be frigging better already!
/moan

On the upside, I booked an appointment with my GP for monitoring. I just can't wait to go home now. This university thing is exhausting.

I'm the opposite right now. My blood pressure seems to have dropped too low again because I feel cold, dizzy and light=-headed a lot, sometimes chest pains, but no-one will believe me about it anymore, so I'm riding it out and forcing myself to eat a bit of junk to raise sodium levels until the doctor sees it in a fortnight : / Try to remember, part of productivity is to know when it's time to be passive. We don't always have to be doing something for someone to justify our being here, we need rest and recuperation, and you especially now being ill, Diamond (think about it, most people don't even move for any more than 2 hours a day!)
Sure there'll be loads more opportunities to review stuff :hugs:
Checked.

I have 340.

So problem compounded.

All your paintings are lovely but I especially like the 3rd one.
:hugs: You could still apply as a risky choice? You never know, they might like you so much that they ignore that part of the requirements. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest