The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

the only thing i dislike about the Oxford MAT papers is how the questions are worded. I sometimes have no idea what they are asking, or completely go on the wrong tangent (mind the maths pun).

like on the October 2007 paper, question 5 (i), i just plugged in 5 and got 8. rather than putting the function in again. i realised i did it wrong once i was on part (ii). they need better wording.
Reply 2021
Original post by jilebinator

like on the October 2007 paper, question 5 (i), i just plugged in 5 and got 8. rather than putting the function in again. i realised i did it wrong once i was on part (ii). they need better wording.

What was so unclear about the question? I'm not sure how you got 8. If you plug 5 in you clearly get 2f(4).
Original post by RichE
What was so unclear about the question? I'm not sure how you got 8. If you plug 5 in you clearly get 2f(4).

my friends and my teacher made the same mistake.
we multiplied the 2 by the 4, we thought it meant that 2f(5-1) = 2(4) = 8.
Original post by jilebinator
my friends and my teacher made the same mistake.
we multiplied the 2 by the 4, we thought it meant that 2f(5-1) = 2(4) = 8.

That's hardly the question's fault. In my opinion, it's perfectly clear what you need to do and I'm struggling to believe that all of you accidentally omitted an f.
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
That's hardly the question's fault. In my opinion, it's perfectly clear what you need to do and I'm struggling to believe that all of you accidentally omitted an f.

nobody read the question in the right way. we were all quickly going through it and assumed that was how to do it.

it doesn't matter anyway.
Reply 2025
Just received a conditional offer from Bath :wink: Woo!
Original post by Femto
Just received a conditional offer from Bath :wink: Woo!

Congrats, that's brilliant news! :biggrin:

Hope you don't mind me asking, but when did you send your application? I'm waiting on Bath as well, you see.
Reply 2027
Original post by Miller693
Congrats, that's brilliant news! :biggrin:

Hope you don't mind me asking, but when did you send your application? I'm waiting on Bath as well, you see.

My application was processed on the 10th of October :smile: Good luck with your application! Hopefully it won't be too long until they reply to you.
Original post by Femto
My application was processed on the 10th of October :smile: Good luck with your application! Hopefully it won't be too long until they reply to you.

Well I was the 12th of October, so hopefully in two days time! :smile: I doubt it, but we'll see!
Offer from Warwick! Anyone else?
Just got an offer from warwick for the MMath course
Original post by safmaster

Yeah
offer from warwick! Anyone else?

already! What college did you end up applying bro? :d

Did you apply for MMath?

Original post by TheJ0ker
Just got an offer from warwick for the MMath course

Well done guys =D.

Now im just going... **** **** **** ****, why havnt i heart anything =p
Original post by maths134
Did you apply for MMath?

Yes (G103).
Congratulations to everyone getting offers! Are there any people who have been through this waiting torment already who know very roughly when places like Durham or UCL begin to dish out offers?
Yes (G103).

ahhh I see, makes me a little less stressed, I applied for G100. Well done though!. is it your first choice?
Original post by maths134
ahhh I see, makes me a little less stressed, I applied for G100. Well done though!. is it your first choice?

Thanks! Umm... its probably my 3rd/4th choice, not 1st :tongue: (although its an excellent university).
(edited 12 years ago)
Anyone else have an interview from Manchester? It's on 9th November, apparently it's a bit of a joke interview
Thanks! Umm... its probably my 3rd/4th choice, not 1st :tongue: (although its an excellent university).

Where else are you applying lol? Its my second choice if I get an offer

Latest