The Student Room Group

Ladies, how many inches is your underbust?

Poll

How many inches is your underbust?

This is in response to being told there is "no demand for 28" band sizes" for bras from high-street lingerie stores. Could you just comment the underbust measurement in inches please not the bandsize you currently wear unless it is the same, it doesn't matter if you're petite or busty I just want to see how much demand there is out there. A poll will be added when I figure out how. :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Oh, 32
poll has now been added :biggrin:
Reply 4
I wear a 30 band (although I'm sure the actual measurement was 27-28", but it never seems to match up properly to a bra).
Reply 5
Think my actual measurement was 25" when I last got measured...although that was a while ago & I wear a 30" band so probably haven't remembered that correctly :hmmmm: wish I had a tape measure
Reply 6
34 :smile: oh I'm the plus size on your poll! :frown: its 48 around my bust lol!
Original post by Sadsnail
34 :smile: oh I'm the plus size on your poll! :frown: its 48 around my bust lol!

You're the one before 'plus size', it's not because it's big just the purpose of this poll is to see if I can get feedback from people will smaller backsizes, as it's very difficult for us to buy pretty lingerie as the high street seem to think we don't exist. :frown: I'd love to have a 32 or 34 underbust.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by LipstickKisses
You're the one before 'plus size', it's not because it's big just the purpose of this poll is to see if I can get feedback from people will smaller backsizes, as it's very difficult for us to buy pretty lingerie as the high street seem to think we don't exist. :frown: I'd love to have a 32 or 34 underbust.

I think it's because the average is between 32-38 so these are the sizes they can mass produce and sell. Have you tried bravissimo? I'm pretty sure they do smaller sizes as well as larger?! Likewise if you are outside a 8-14 clothes are difficult as well :smile:
Original post by Sadsnail
I think it's because the average is between 32-38 so these are the sizes they can mass produce and sell. Have you tried bravissimo? I'm pretty sure they do smaller sizes as well as larger?! Likewise if you are outside a 8-14 clothes are difficult as well :smile:

Yes there are places we can get them from its just a lot harder than it is if you have a bigger back. I think the average is actually a 28-34 as many people think you have to 'add four' to your underbust to get your size when you should use the raw underband measurement. It's just that stores are reluctant to change.

http://fullerfigurefullerbust.wordpress.com/2011/06/16/simply-proven-wrong/
She shows you how wrong the 'size guidelines' in most shops are. Hopefully people will notice soon. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
32, but I wear a 34.
Reply 11
I'm a 30, but I still struggle to find bras in my size. Mostly because I have a large cup size, and a small band size. I recently got remaeasured and she said she'd actually put me in a 30DD.

Apart from places like Debenhams and Marks, I have rarely been able to find bras in my size. I'd love to be able to go to somewhere cheap like Matalan and buy a cheap sports bra or t shirt bra, but they just don't stock sizes like that it seems. Means I have to spend £20 on every bra I buy which is annoying.
Reply 12
32, and I wear a 32(D) bra. I'm not that small so I can see why you find it difficult to find bras, as even I struggle sometimes. There are plenty of women smaller than me! Though I doubt they all wear the right size (supposedly a too large backsize is common - the rule of 'add 5' or whatever is outdated. I myself used to wear a 34 back until I was fitted properly and realised how much better it is)!
Reply 13
Yeah ^ I was told you add 4 if even and add 5 if odd - I am 29 inches so size 34 although have never found a bra to fit me properly (am DD / E waahh)
Reply 14
Mine is just about 27" (more like 26.5") and I wear a 32 band as they don't do the smaller bands with the larger cup sizes :frown: (32E/F if anyone was wondering, which are extremely hard to find at 32)
Original post by phiddy23
Yeah ^ I was told you add 4 if even and add 5 if odd - I am 29 inches so size 34 although have never found a bra to fit me properly (am DD / E waahh)

You should be wearing a 28 or 30.

Original post by Alotties
Mine is just about 27" (more like 26.5") and I wear a 32 band as they don't do the smaller bands with the larger cup sizes :frown: (32E/F if anyone was wondering, which are extremely hard to find at 32)

You should be wearing a 28, I'd recommend bravissimo to both of you. This is exactly the point I'm trying to prove, that there are other women out there who need a small back.
It's 30 officially but I wear a 32. :smile:

------ 34''
------ 38''
------ 30''

^That's my overbust, bust and underbust. I'm sorta obsessed with measuring things: I know my shoulders, wrists, ankles, neck, waist... you name it, I measured it out of boredom. :sigh:
Original post by Alotties

Have you tried bravissimo? I have the same problem of having a large cup size and 30 back size and although there isnt loads of choice. However for an E/F you'd have a little more to choose from :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by LipstickKisses
You should be wearing a 28 or 30.

You should be wearing a 28, I'd recommend bravissimo to both of you. This is exactly the point I'm trying to prove, that there are other women out there who need a small back.

Thing is, I might measure 27" or 28" but I've never found a 28" bra that would even fasten for me. I wear 30 bands in Debenhams, Lepel, Wonderbra and Shock Absorber (and it's always on the loosest setting for all to begin with). So what brands actually have the 'right' measurements...?
Original post by Kate.
Thing is, I might measure 27" or 28" but I've never found a 28" bra that would even fasten for me. I wear 30 bands in Debenhams, Lepel, Wonderbra and Shock Absorber (and it's always on the loosest setting for all to begin with). So what brands actually have the 'right' measurements...?

That's true, different brands come up differently. I'm a 27.5" and on me most 30 bands ride up, but the sizing isn't consistant. I think people's best bet is to take the underbust measurement as a starting point and try that and if it's small to go to the next bandsize. This is the best online bra measurement guide I've found http://www.wikihow.com/Measure-Your-Bra-Size

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending