The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7900
Original post by KingMessi
Haha...I know that otherwise I'll go into the ELAT terrified; if I do a couple and my teacher doesn't think that they're too horrible I'll feel far better.

Also, the key word is 'attempt'...:P :colondollar:

That's a good idea! I did the practice ELAT more than once before the actual test, and I'm so glad I did; the test is very fast-paced (at least it felt like that to me), and being comfortable with the time frame really helps :smile:

Original post by Ambs
Hi everyone :smile: I know you guys have been chatting in here for a while now, so I hope it's not too late to join in :awesome:

I'm applying for English at New College. I'm a reapplicant; I applied for English at Magdalen last year, didn't get in any of my top choices (partly because of a mistake on my UCAS form, partly because I suck), so decided to reapply.

If anyone has any questions about the interview process or the ELAT, I'm more than happy to help! Unless you want to know how to actually get in :colondollar:
Of course you can join us, but only if you first read all 396 pages so far :wink: (joking of course!)

What was the nature of the mistake on your UCAS form? :tongue:
Reply 7902
Original post by AnimalSpirit
So I take it you got an interview?

Yes, I did. I was only interviewed at Magdalen though, not at a second college.
Just got a conditional offer from Exeter... *strokes chin*

I don't know how I feel about this... My first offer, yay.
Reply 7904
Original post by fluteflute
Of course you can join us, but only if you first read all 396 pages so far :wink: (joking of course!)

What was the nature of the mistake on your UCAS form? :tongue:

Don't worry, I've been lurking for a good 50 or so of them :tongue:

I did a few courses at a local university and put them under the education section, but I did put that my highest official qualification was secondary education. However, a few universities put in their feedback that they prefer applicants who want to study for their first degree. When I explained the situation one university did change the rejection into an offer but the others said 'well, sucks for you, we already decided now!' :emo: I had 2 offers, but from universities I had actually sort-of changed my mind about.
Original post by punctuation

Wooh! :biggrin: What's the offer like?

But you're not allowed to stroke your chin! You don't have a beard! (I assume...)
Reply 7906

:woohoo: Congrats!
Original post by Ambs
Don't worry, I've been lurking for a good 50 or so of them :tongue:

I did a few courses at a local university and put them under the education section, but I did put that my highest official qualification was secondary education. However, a few universities put in their feedback that they prefer applicants who want to study for their first degree. When I explained the situation one university did change the rejection into an offer but the others said 'well, sucks for you, we already decided now!' :emo: I had 2 offers, but from universities I had actually sort-of changed my mind about.

This makes me really nervous.. I am currently studying at my first year at Copenhagen Business School, but my plan was to drop out if I got in at one of my choices in England.. I put in on the UCAS application (saying that I will receive no formal qualification from the university upon entering Oxford (or one of my other choices)) because I wanted to put all my cards on the table. I commented on this in my PS as well, saying this: "I currently study International Business at Copenhagen Business School but feel an urge to be academically challenged and go more in depth with economics than my current course expects me to."
I guess the key is that I wrote that I would receive no formal qualifications - in that case that can't possibly think that this is not going to be my first degree?

Hmm.. This has been my worry all along - did Oxford comment on it?
Reply 7908
Original post by AnimalSpirit
This makes me really nervous.. I am currently studying at my first year at Copenhagen Business School, but my plan was to drop out if I got in at one of my choices in England.. I put in on the UCAS application (saying that I will receive no formal qualification from the university upon entering Oxford (or one of my other choices)) because I wanted to put all my cards on the table. I commented on this in my PS as well, saying this: "I currently study International Business at Copenhagen Business School but feel an urge to be academically challenged and go more in depth with economics than my current course expects me to."
I guess the key is that I wrote that I would receive no formal qualifications - in that case that can't possibly think that this is not going to be my first degree?

Hmm.. This has been my worry all along - did Oxford comment on it?

It sounds like you're safe; if you specifically mentioned you won't be receiving a qualification I don't think you left a lot of room for misunderstandings. I was a lot less clear than that, mostly because I assumed the fact that I hadn't filled out a qualification was obvious enough.

No, Oxford never commented on it, and I know that's not the reason they rejected me; they provided me with an extremely long and detailed feedback letter, so I'm sure they would have mentioned it.

If you're still worried and think that there might be room for confusion, you could consider sending your choices a quick e-mail to emphasise that you are not working towards a qualification at the moment - but to be honest it sounds like you made it clear enough :smile:
Reply 7909
Original post by KingMessi
Done half of an ELAT practice; will do the other half tomorrow. There are five sample papers, so will attempt to do one every day next week....:smile:

Where did you find these sample papers may I ask?
Reply 7912
I'm glad they've added a few tests! Last year there was only one, so I had to keep practicing with the same texts over and over again :tongue:
Reply 7913
Is anyone else getting no help from teachers with the ELAT? My teacher told me not to revise because you can't revise for it?? But I can' t not revise so I'll do them but none of my papers will be marked :s-smilie:
Original post by Ambs
It sounds like you're safe; if you specifically mentioned you won't be receiving a qualification I don't think you left a lot of room for misunderstandings. I was a lot less clear than that, mostly because I assumed the fact that I hadn't filled out a qualification was obvious enough.

No, Oxford never commented on it, and I know that's not the reason they rejected me; they provided me with an extremely long and detailed feedback letter, so I'm sure they would have mentioned it.

If you're still worried and think that there might be room for confusion, you could consider sending your choices a quick e-mail to emphasise that you are not working towards a qualification at the moment - but to be honest it sounds like you made it clear enough :smile:

So I take it that the university gives feedback if the applicant is rejected? Just out of curiousity, what do you think you have done differently or learn't from, after your first round of applying?
Reply 7915
Original post by S_123
Is anyone else getting no help from teachers with the ELAT? My teacher told me not to revise because you can't revise for it?? But I can' t not revise so I'll do them but none of my papers will be marked :s-smilie:

I finished school a few years ago so I didn't get any help either, but you're definitely right to practice. Like I said it's good to get used to the time frame, and to practice the whole matter of HAVING to write about something, even if you don't feel an immediate connection with the texts. I just know I would have gotten a worse score if I hadn't!
Reply 7916
Original post by coodooloo
So I take it that the university gives feedback if the applicant is rejected? Just out of curiousity, what do you think you have done differently or learn't from, after your first round of applying?

You get feedback if your referee requests it on time, I think (at least, that's how it worked for Magdalen).

I did a quite a few things wrong during my interview, but I got a lot of constructive feedback that I've been working on. For example, I was very nervous and often didn't say everything I was thinking because I was afraid that I would end up rambling and boring them - while in fact the tutors really wanted me to talk more :facepalm: Overall the feedback was really positive and nice, and it gave me the feeling that there was (at least some) hope for me, otherwise I wouldn't have had the courage to reapply :smile:
Reply 7917
im applying to oriel for philosophy and theology, but i havent seen many people applying for the same course?
Look what I just got from St John's :biggrin:
Not really sure why I bothered blurring my name/email but hey...

Original post by Ambs
You get feedback if your referee requests it on time, I think (at least, that's how it worked for Magdalen).

I did a quite a few things wrong during my interview, but I got a lot of constructive feedback that I've been working on. For example, I was very nervous and often didn't say everything I was thinking because I was afraid that I would end up rambling and boring them - while in fact the tutors really wanted me to talk more :facepalm: Overall the feedback was really positive and nice, and it gave me the feeling that there was (at least some) hope for me, otherwise I wouldn't have had the courage to reapply :smile:

that's really great! Because, I'm thinking of reapplying if I get rejected- somehow I wouldn't feel comfortable going to another university, as I really like Oxford.

Latest

Trending

Trending