The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nick Longjohnson
So, have the menu and search buttons gone the way of the dodo?

Dunno what they're doing there, to be honest. I'd rather have a search button than an always-there search bar at the top of the screen.
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Core of Apple :teehee:

:getmecoat:

:sigh:
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Core of Apple :teehee:

:getmecoat:

:awesome:

Sometimes you just gotta go with the pun.
Reply 6163
So, have the menu and search buttons gone the way of the dodo?

Original post by AugustWestie
Dunno what they're doing there, to be honest. I'd rather have a search button than an always-there search bar at the top of the screen.

Yes they have.

The Menu button will appear if you run an app which wasn't developed with Honeycomb or ICS in mind, and will just open a typical menu.
Going forward, the Menu has been functionally replaced by the action bar, and anything which was previously in the menu will appear up there. Which makes sense, because it's a much better interface.

The search button was removed because it was functionally redundant in any of the vast numbers of apps that had no need to implement search, and it expected that any apps that /do/ want to implement it can add it into the action bar.
Original post by + polarity -
I was wondering that! Surely they could put a couple more icons on that bar or whatever it is?

From the presentation it seems that commonly used items will be in a bar at the bottom. That's kind of a waste of screen real estate. Also, how the hell are you supposed to get to the settings in apps etc. I hate iOS's on screen buttons.

Original post by AugustWestie

Yeah, I used a friends SGS II, and I don't know how he lives without a search button, I use it all the time in the contacts, gmail etc.

edit: ^ Just saw your post. Fair enough explanation I guess.
I'm hoping that phones with physical buttons that get upgraded to it don't need this action bar.
Reply 6166
Original post by mikeyd85
I'm hoping that phones with physical buttons that get upgraded to it don't need this action bar.

They will.

What are you thinking of when I say "action bar"?
When is the actual release date for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus? Is the GS2 price likely to drop?
Reply 6168
From the presentation it seems that commonly used items will be in a bar at the bottom. That's kind of a waste of screen real estate. Also, how the hell are you supposed to get to the settings in apps etc. I hate iOS's on screen buttons.

Yeah, I used a friends SGS II, and I don't know how he lives without a search button, I use it all the time in the contacts, gmail etc.

edit: ^ Just saw your post. Fair enough explanation I guess.

the galaxy s2 does have a search button, just long press the menu button
Original post by estel
They will.

What are you thinking of when I say "action bar"?

The icons along the bottom.
Reply 6170
Original post by itsmyname
When is the actual release date for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus? Is the GS2 price likely to drop?

I've heard November 17, and I doubt it.

Original post by mikeyd85
The icons along the bottom.

In this image, the three "bars" are, top to bottom, the notification bar, action bar and system bar. The action bar contains functionality that was previously in the Menu, the notification bar is as before and the system bar will only appear on devices without hardware buttons.

A fourth button appears in the System bar to open a traditional menu if the app you're using isn't built to use the action bar.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by st_23
the galaxy s2 does have a search button, just long press the menu button

Didn't know that :colondollar: On mine, long press on the menu brings up the keyboard.
Reply 6172
Hmm, my market hasnt updated in like 6 months! The sooner i get rid of this desire the better! Everythings starting to go wrong!
Original post by johnnn

Original post by johnnn
Hmm, my market hasnt updated in like 6 months! The sooner i get rid of this desire the better! Everythings starting to go wrong!

Aww, don't say that about the Desire!
Reply 6174
Aww, don't say that about the Desire!

Im sorry but having to take out the sim card atleast twice a week because its supposedly not there is annoying, my number pad has magicly got smaller than the box its ment to be in!! And having to turn off loud speaker when i answer my phone is really getting annoying!!
Original post by johnnn

Original post by johnnn
Im sorry but having to take out the sim card atleast twice a week because its supposedly not there is annoying, my number pad has magicly got smaller than the box its ment to be in!! And having to turn off loud speaker when i answer my phone is really getting annoying!!

lmao

are you using a... standard ROM? Or a custom one? A custom one may give your phone a new lease of life.

That said, my phone has been a bit unstable the last couple of months, I think I'm due an upgrade tbh.
Reply 6176
lmao

are you using a... standard ROM? Or a custom one? A custom one may give your phone a new lease of life.

That said, my phone has been a bit unstable the last couple of months, I think I'm due an upgrade tbh.

I'm using 2.3 standard rom. Im due an upgrade in january think i might just get a bloody nokia 3210!
Original post by johnnn

Original post by johnnn
I'm using 2.3 standard rom. Im due an upgrade in january think i might just get a bloody nokia 3210!

Hmm yeah, in the meantime, I'd consider a different ROM

:hand:
Reply 6178
Hmm yeah, in the meantime, I'd consider a different ROM

:hand:

I think il just hold off, and hopefully it will some how work again. Only 3 months-ish to i can get a new phone. I'll just dream about getting a new phone till then!
Reply 6179
Didn't know that :colondollar: On mine, long press on the menu brings up the keyboard.

yeah but when you type in something it will search, for example when you long press it in the market you can search for apps and when you long press the button on the home screen you can search the internet and i think maybe things on your phone too but i can't remember as i don't have my s2 on me

when i first got my s2 it was quite frustrating as i always used the search on my hero but as soon as i found it it was fine and i got used to the long pressing pretty quickly

there are some youtube videos with little tricks you can do with the s2, even though i had already worked out a lot of them there were a few that i had no idea about
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending