The Student Room Group

Struggling with A levels (mostly science subjects)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Question:

How do you manage to do past papers early on in the year without finishing them completely and pretty much rendering them useless close to exam time?
Reply 21
In biology it'll take a while to be getting B's+
After a while (hopefully not too late) you'll understand how to answer stuff.
Just picture a mark scheme and think, "hmm, what will the examiner want to see"?

For chemistry, if you know the theory, the only other thing left to learn is the definitions and equations
Obviously do past papers and mark them. Thats the key btw. at GCSE you'd just do questions and not care about the actually answers. at A lvl u NEED to mark everything u do so u learn
Reply 22
I really don't understand why people are going on about exam techniques and knowing the books inside out..

I've never done a past paper before doing the real thing, nor do I know the books inside out (I have not opened the AS book in my time doing the subject) - Yet I got close to full marks on all the exams..

Maybe, just maybe, you simply have to be good at physics?
Reply 23
Original post by Xarren

Original post by Xarren
I really don't understand why people are going on about exam techniques and knowing the books inside out..

I've never done a past paper before doing the real thing, nor do I know the books inside out (I have not opened the AS book in my time doing the subject) - Yet I got close to full marks on all the exams..

Maybe, just maybe, you simply have to be good at physics?

Mate, everyone's situation is not the same. We all clearly learn differently and if the OP is struggling and you're excelling at the subject, it doesn't mean you have to respond this way.

Without past papers, I don't think I would have passed any of my exams to be honest. Past papers are one of (if not) the most important factor when preparing for exams.
Reply 24
Original post by *Hakz*
Mate, everyone's situation is not the same. We all clearly learn differently and if the OP is struggling and you're excelling at the subject, it doesn't mean you have to respond this way.

Without past papers, I don't think I would have passed any of my exams to be honest. Past papers are one of (if not) the most important factor when preparing for exams.

I'm sorry - just rereadmy post and realised I sound like a total prick.

What I meant to say, was that instead of focusing on passing the exams, how about focusing on the subject itself, doing some research for yourself etc - Actually learning physics, and not the ciriculum off by heart, and then the rest should come naturally?
Reply 25
Original post by Xarren

Original post by Xarren
I'm sorry - just rereadmy post and realised I sound like a total prick.

What I meant to say, was that instead of focusing on passing the exams, how about focusing on the subject itself, doing some research for yourself etc - Actually learning physics, and not the ciriculum off by heart, and then the rest should come naturally?

Well that could well work for the OP but most people on here have to go through past papers just to get a glimpse of what they could be potentially facing.

The way you passed is kind of weird to me without doing any past papers or just taking a look at least.
Reply 26
Original post by *Hakz*
Well that could well work for the OP but most people on here have to go through past papers just to get a glimpse of what they could be potentially facing.

The way you passed is kind of weird to me without doing any past papers or just taking a look at least.

I never paid much attention to A level physics test. They are hardly a good indicator of physics knowledge and understanding - Physics olympiad is excellent for that though, and honestly, if you can do a physics olympiad paper, you can do the standard ones without a problem.
Reply 27
Original post by Xarren

Original post by Xarren
I never paid much attention to A level physics test. They are hardly a good indicator of physics knowledge and understanding - Physics olympiad is excellent for that though, and honestly, if you can do a physics olympiad paper, you can do the standard ones without a problem.

Maybe that's the reason for your achievement. Keep it up though mate :biggrin:
Original post by Bubbles0ox
maybe you should ask your teacher what you're doing wrong?

Don't know why this got negged, a teacher will give better feedback then TSR.
Original post by Xarren

It's better to understand the subject as well as practice papers to apply your knowledge. Even exam boards stress how important past papers are on their revision tips.
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Don't know why this got negged, a teacher will give better feedback then TSR.

TSR has definitley given me advice, help and feedback more than all of my teachers combined. It's good to ask around here as people have been through it and know exactly what they're talking about. Teachers are good but that is subjective obviously.
Reply 31
Original post by LifeIsGood
It's better to understand the subject as well as practice papers to apply your knowledge. Even exam boards stress how important past papers are on their revision tips.

Yes, but if I tried to do both, I'd have no life left at the end :P
Original post by Xarren
Yes, but if I tried to do both, I'd have no life left at the end :P

Haha, it is very time consuming but in the end it's worth it. Either way, I'm happy it worked for you :biggrin:
Original post by stealth_writer
Hi,

At gcse i got a* for my science subjects (bio chem phys). But at a levels in the end of unit tests i am only achieving grades E's and D's. Now i dont necessarily find the theories of the subjects hard and during every test i answer all questions, but still find out my result was bad. Im aiming for A's in these subject which, god willing, i feel im definitely capable of getting.

Any advise to anyone else who was in the situation!

i got an A* for chemistry gcse, got a B for my AS chemistry ( close to an A) but yeah it is possible, you just have to get your head down and work hard, thats the best advice anyone can give you.

try and learn some of the chapters ahead of the class, so that you feel comfortable with them, and it allows you to get the harder questions of them right.

best of luck
Reply 34
Dont worry to much. I did AS physics last year and struggled through the year in homeworks and module test, but for my exams I knuckled down and did lots of revision and came out with a high B (3 UMS off an A :L )

so stick with it, and youll be fine, make sure you learn all the units and equations

good luck x
Original post by HelloGoodbye
I know this thread is old but I really need some advice. I'm in the exact same position, how did you manage to deal with the science subjects?
I got A*s for GCSE triple science and A for maths and I'm doing SO bad, I never thought I would be doing this crap at the end of unit tests. :/

Just work hard !

put in huge revision! and dont wory about end of unit tests.

Learn from your mistakes

Quick Reply

Latest