The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ari Ben Canaan
What is a G&D ?

Ice cream shop in Oxford!
http://gdcafe.com/FrontPage/frontPage.htm
Reply 8021
Original post by _becca
A rah, at least from where I come from (not sure about Emgrace) is a really really uptight posh person called Tarquin or something equally posh, the 'rah' is from the noise they supposedly make haha, e.g. 'I'm rahhhly soopah excited about the croquet tournahment'

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rah (actually quite funny haha)

(sorry I did it wrong first time! im silly.. :colondollar: )

um-hm! Btw, I'm an EL & L applicant for Worcester too!:biggrin:
And you live in Oxford! That's so cool.. Must be a really nice place, isn't it?
Reply 8022
Original post by languagegeek
£35? That's not worth it. I guess I will just try to use some sort of grammar book, do you have any suggestions? I have the practice make perfect ones which are quite good

Yeah it really isn't. Eh, I have no suggestions lol. I used my A Level textbook then my teacher gave me "Hammer's German Grammar and Usage" to work on. Basically whatever you can get your hands on is good :smile:
has anyone received anything from New?
Is anyone else still waiting for Oxford to acknowledge their application??? :confused:
Original post by Ophelia 27
Is anyone else still waiting for Oxford to acknowledge their application??? :confused:

Last year, my application was acknowledged on the 27th October. They definitely have it, but they also have a lot to get through. There's no need to worry! :biggrin:
Original post by Lexi C
Yeah it really isn't. Eh, I have no suggestions lol. I used my A Level textbook then my teacher gave me "Hammer's German Grammar and Usage" to work on. Basically whatever you can get your hands on is good :smile:

HAMMMER TIME !!!

Original post by rhymenoceros
has anyone received anything from New?

No, I just had the standard acknowledgement from Oxford. At least I've heard from the university, so I'm not too concerned.

What course are you applying for? :smile:
HAMMMER TIME !!!

Well, since they're talking about German....

Spoiler

Original post by medbh4805
Well, since they're talking about German....

Spoiler

Hahaha :awesome:
Hahaha :awesome:

Can I just ask you what language your username is or what does it mean?
I could make a guess but I don't want to offend you yet I am very curious :beard:
Original post by brendan.
Last year, my application was acknowledged on the 27th October. They definitely have it, but they also have a lot to get through. There's no need to worry! :biggrin:

so do they actually look at it at this point?
Can I just ask you what language your username is or what does it mean?
I could make a guess but I don't want to offend you yet I am very curious :beard:

Ari Ben Canaan is Hebrew for Lion Son of Israel :wink:
Ari Ben Canaan is Hebrew for Lion Son of Israel :wink:

that's what I thought :beard: are you Israeli? :smile:

i'm learning Hebrew atm :ninja:
that's what I thought :beard: are you Israeli? :smile:

i'm learning Hebrew atm :ninja:

Nope, I'm as far off from an Israeli as possible :tongue:

Cool stuff. Shalom :wink:
Original post by coodooloo
so do they actually look at it at this point?

Yeah, my tutor in college told us yesterday that she now has the applicants for biochem this year. It probably just takes a while to send around information to candidates, and arrange what information each candidate will receive. In my acknowledgement email, they asked me to tell them whether I'd be available for Interviews etc. because you'll only be told about 2 weeks before the date of the interview if you have one or not..
Original post by Ambs
Hi everyone :smile: I know you guys have been chatting in here for a while now, so I hope it's not too late to join in :awesome:

I'm applying for English at New College. I'm a reapplicant; I applied for English at Magdalen last year, didn't get in any of my top choices (partly because of a mistake on my UCAS form, partly because I suck), so decided to reapply.

If anyone has any questions about the interview process or the ELAT, I'm more than happy to help! Unless you want to know how to actually get in :colondollar:

That's really nice of you to offer :smile:
I was wondering if you could give me any tips in particular on comparing prose and poetry? I'm still not quite sure whether to go for analysing just the poetry or just the prose or a cross-over... if you see what I mean!
Also, did you feel the need to go over the time of 30 minutes for reading and annotating the passages? I'm just really worried about running out of time :colondollar:
Original post by TotalLifeForever
I haven't yet, I think if it gets to the 1st and still nothing I will just send it off of my own accord! They have the cover sheet and info on the website, but I assumed they contact you first! Which college?

Lady Margaret Hall :smile: what about you?
Original post by coodooloo
just apply for the course your passionate about- forget about the competition.

yes, that's what I originally said, but was persuaded otherwise. Now, I have no idea what to do. Especially since my school broke up for half term yesterday, so I have no chance of speaking to anyone now..
Nope, I'm as far off from an Israeli as possible :tongue:

Intriguing :holmes:

Cool stuff. Shalom :wink:

vashalom lek :awesome:

Latest

Trending

Trending