The Student Room Group

I always feel so ugly compared to my sister??

Please keep anon.

My sister is in the year below me at school. She came to the same sixth form as me and so many people have told me how pretty my sister is, asked if they can take her on a date etc. If we go out together I feel so ugly in comparison and its starting to get me down because Im just invisible if Im with her.

I feel bad because I should be happy for her but my self esteem is just getting worse and worse. Some people tell me Im pretty, some people shout that Im ugly.

I could never bring a guy home incase he fell for my sister instead.

Im 18, how can I stop comparing my looks to my sisters

Scroll to see replies

Pictures? ;-)

I like to throw cake at random passers by!
(edited 12 years ago)
There's always going to be someone who you think is better looking than you, whether that be your sister, friend or someone you've just passed in the street or seen online. Nobody would go out with you on a date and then suddenly fall for your sister.
Reply 3
You are your own person, and people have very different perceptions of beauty. When you have a boyfriend it will be becuase he thinks you are beautiful, don't be scared to take him home ^_^

Have some confidence in yourself! A confident girl oozes sexuality, which is also a big factor. Feel beautiful and confident and others will see that in you too!

Edit: Also, this is not anon, just a heads up!
Original post by rgray
Please keep anon.

My sister is in the year below me at school. She came to the same sixth form as me and so many people have told me how pretty my sister is, asked if they can take her on a date etc. If we go out together I feel so ugly in comparison and its starting to get me down because Im just invisible if Im with her.

I feel bad because I should be happy for her but my self esteem is just getting worse and worse. Some people tell me Im pretty, some people shout that Im ugly.

I could never bring a guy home incase he fell for my sister instead.

Im 18, how can I stop comparing my looks to my sisters

First of all think about what is it that makes your sister 'prettier' than you? Is that she is slim and your are not? Longer hair ? Tanned skin? Dresses more stylish?

Once you identify these things you will realise how superficial they are. If not you can start to make changes. For example going to the gym to work on YOUR fitness and get into shape etc.

Maybe she has a bubbly personality.

However, no matter what you do you will never be your sister. You can only be you and love yourself for who you are.

I used to be like this. But mine was more deep-rooted in my childhood of my sister always getting the attention and she had longer hair, nicer complexion etc. But I realised that this is all superficial!!

Get some counselling of some sort, or learn to work with what you already have!!
work with what you already have and emphasis them!
They should like you for more than looks, but personality and your character which I'm sure you have a lot of :smile:
well if she's that pretty what you can do is .... give me her number:biggrin:
on second thought post her pic first
What do you want us to do about it? Rearrange her face with a brick?
Prostitution?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
It's purely down to personal preference, some people will find you pretty and some won't..same with your sister, don't worry about it :smile:
Reply 11
well op I say dont worry

can I ask some questions before I answer you (please quote me):
Do you both look like the same parent or different parents?
hows your relationship?
has anyone picked her over you?

Just remember one thing with jealousy: her success is not your failure
My brother's a model in Hollister. He also is studying in a degree for History at Oxford so I can't go the 'I'm smarter than you route'. What I do do, is reitreate to myself that I am my own person and that if I going to go through life holding myself to an arbitrary benchmark that will cast a shadow over everything I do it's not going to be enjoyable. I can't give you advice on looks because my fashion sense is zero.
Reply 13
Original post by DOA
well op I say dont worry

can I ask some questions before I answer you (please quote me):
Do you both look like the same parent or different parents?
hows your relationship?
has anyone picked her over you?

Just remember one thing with jealousy: her success is not your failure

Different parents
Most of the time its very good
Yes, several times
ANON FAIL.

Haven't seen one of these in absolutely ages. :') Welcome back.
Well, she can be prettier for sure but what about personality. Your personality makes you stand out. We are all different and special in some aspects. Instead of thinking about what your sister think about you and what makes you special.
Original post by yituool
What do you want us to do about it? Rearrange her face with a brick?

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Original post by Aeschylus
My brother's a model in Hollister. He also is studying in a degree for History at Oxford so I can't go the 'I'm smarter than you route'. What I do do, is reitreate to myself that I am my own person and that if I going to go through life holding myself to an arbitrary benchmark that will cast a shadow over everything I do it's not going to be enjoyable. I can't give you advice on looks because my fashion sense is zero.

pm me his number :wink:
Reply 17
Original post by rgray
Different parents
Most of the time its very good
Yes, several times

welll as you look like different parents, im guessing you both have redeeming features so you must have alot going for you awell, which she doesnt have. You know shes not doing it out spite( eg trying to steal attention) and i doubt shes doing anything to encourage it. how did they pick her, did they flirt with you and then decided they wanted her.

and remember her success now isnt your failure

Im happy to pm if you want to vent/chat, maybe you could send me a pic of you because I bet you look great.

edit: I promise I wont post how you look in the thread or anything like that :smile:, hope to hear from you
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by TheBritishBloke
There's always going to be someone who you think is better looking than you, whether that be your sister, friend or someone you've just passed in the street or seen online. Nobody would go out with you on a date and then suddenly fall for your sister.

They would if she's fit.
Genetics can be cruel. Still, I guarantee it'll be easier once you move away and start your own life. Right now your world is a microcosm of school and home town with the limited number of people within it.

Once you have your own friends and boyfriends away from this petty sibling rivalry you'll feel much better.

I'm a girl with two sisters and they were constantly bickering and seething with envy over one thing or another, I just kept myself to myself. Now they're apart they're much happier.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending