The Student Room Group

I always feel so ugly compared to my sister??

Scroll to see replies

if you think you are ugly, you probably do not radiate beauty as your sister seems to. You need to feel confident, if you have her genes you are more likely to be pretty.
Original post by Aeschylus
My brother's a model in Hollister. He also is studying in a degree for History at Oxford so I can't go the 'I'm smarter than you route'. What I do do, is reitreate to myself that I am my own person and that if I going to go through life holding myself to an arbitrary benchmark that will cast a shadow over everything I do it's not going to be enjoyable. I can't give you advice on looks because my fashion sense is zero.

Sounds rough, though he sounds rather too vain to be of much interest. I find nothing attractive about fashion models. Models are only attractive if they're acting as muses and even then the respect is towards the artist. For example, Bridgette Bardot and Serge Gainsbourg. I like them together but the romance and beauty of it all comes from Serge. Anyway, modelling for Hollister is as far removed from that as you can possibly get. Even high end fashion modelling is dubious. He might just be doing it for the money but that doesn't render him any more attractive.

If your brother was quietly sat in the Oxford library pouring over books with his angelic face rather than prostituting for a fashion camera in his spare time I'd probably be all over it but then I'm a sucker for humility.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
a guy who falls for your sister as easy as you describe is a guy who isnt worth your time
Reply 23
Original post by Daniellejo.

I can relate to this so much. I'm not ugly myself and I get told that I'm pretty enough when I'm on my own but whenever I'm with my older sister all I ever I hear is how pretty she is. Even relatives will see us together and comment on how beautiful she is and just seem to forget that I'm even there. Admittedly she is absolutely gorgeous and thin but it's not nice to feel like the ugly sister, especially when I know that I'm not actually ugly; I'm just quite plain and nowhere near as good-looking as her. When we were in town together a manager from Hollister just walked up to her, didn't even acknowledge me and offered her a job on the spot and she had to point out the fact that she was with me when he invited her inside; he looked shocked that I was there. When I was younger I used to feel really fat and ugly in comparison; I've gotten over that now but I still feel quite inadequate next to her. She's also extremely confident which is something that I'm not and people always go on about how she's one of the nicest and most fun people they've ever met.
I've always been better academically and it's pretty much the one area that she doesn't excel in so I guess that sometimes I try too hard to make that obvious; I just end up feeling like more of a prick for it though because it's just emphasises how nice she is in comparison to me. I mean you'd assume that being that gorgeous she'd at least be a bitch lol but she's seriously not. She is honest to god one of the loveliest people I know and it just serves to make me feel even guiltier in being jealous because I know that she'd never purposely try to make me feel bad.
Anyway that didn't really help anything, just a general rant to get it off of my chest :biggrin:

She sounds horrible to be honest. O_o She should have just ignored the Hollister guy.
Reply 24

No she's not horrible at all lol, I didn't mean to make it out that way.
When the Hollister guy asked her to go into the shop she said 'Oh well I'm shopping with my little sister now so can I come back another time?' and she was desperately looking for a job so I couldn't exactly expect her to turn it down. It was him who was being the prick and ignoring that I was there. I feel a bit bad about making her seem horrible now, she's really nice actually (to point of it being sickening sometimes lol). She's just ****ing annoyingly gorgeous and friendly but it's not her fault; it's not like she encourages people to compliment her and not me. I think she's aware of it actually and feels a bit guilty about it so she's always complimenting me on how I look.

Ahh, fair enough. I just figure she should have brushed him off quickly. Did she end up working there out of curiousity?
Original post by rgray

I feel bad because I should be happy for her but my self esteem is just getting worse and worse. Some people tell me Im pretty, some people shout that Im ugly.

If you base your happiness on what other people think of you then you're never gonna be truly free and happy. Why should your life be about fretting and worrying just to please the rest of the world? Society puts these pressures everyone even from being little kids because if people feel insecure / inferior in the eyes of others then they've got an incentive to buy more products (clothes, shoes, accessories, gadgets, whatever) or work to gain "achievement"/ "success" / "social status" - it's all about thinking you have to impress the rest of the world. Everything's been turned into one big competition to see who can craft the most impressive image/reputation. It's been enslaving people into this awful, restrictive mindset for generations and it's ****ing bull****, it's the reason why so many people are so miserable, stressed, egotistical, narcissistic, paranoid and defensive. but you don't have to be a part of it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by rgray

I could never bring a guy home incase he fell for my sister instead.

Im 18, how can I stop comparing my looks to my sisters

If he's going to be the kind of guy that would immedietly abandon you and go for your sister, are you sure you want to be bringing that kind of guy home? Because that would be a pretty low thing for a guy to do. Also I'm sure your sister would never get involved with someone she knew you liked.

I feel awfully ugly and dull next to my sister because she's the glamourous artist of the family, and vice versa she gets fed up that I' the more academic one. Buut she's 10 years older than me so it's not like there's any competition for the guys, and we just accept that we're two very different people, we get on great still.
Original post by Aeschylus
My brother's a model in Hollister. He also is studying in a degree for History at Oxford so I can't go the 'I'm smarter than you route'. What I do do, is reitreate to myself that I am my own person and that if I going to go through life holding myself to an arbitrary benchmark that will cast a shadow over everything I do it's not going to be enjoyable. I can't give you advice on looks because my fashion sense is zero.

Or you can just study science, and go hey I study science.
Reply 28
Original post by rgray
Please keep anon.

My sister is in the year below me at school. She came to the same sixth form as me and so many people have told me how pretty my sister is, asked if they can take her on a date etc. If we go out together I feel so ugly in comparison and its starting to get me down because Im just invisible if Im with her.

I feel bad because I should be happy for her but my self esteem is just getting worse and worse. Some people tell me Im pretty, some people shout that Im ugly.

My brother is better looking than me and most of my mates who I'm usually with are better looking than me as well. There's nothing really you can do about it, lack of confidence/insecurity is far more off putting than looks.
Original post by rgray

Original post by rgray
Please keep anon.

My sister is in the year below me at school. She came to the same sixth form as me and so many people have told me how pretty my sister is, asked if they can take her on a date etc. If we go out together I feel so ugly in comparison and its starting to get me down because Im just invisible if Im with her.

Does she know she's pretty, i.e. is she a b*tch about it?
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Or you can just study science, and go hey I study science.

Haha well I interviewed his favourite band last week which he was gutted at. And no way could I do science, I struggled with maths and biology at standard level IB. I'm a humanities student and proud :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by IAMchocolatee

pm me his number :wink:

Haha! In all seriousness when I go out with him I finally found where all the girls go
Original post by rgray
Please keep anon.

People really shout that you're ugly? They are evil, and you really don't want or need that type of attention anyway!
Reply 33
I don't have this problem, as even though me and my sister are 2 years apart we look scarily similar.
You can't change how she looks or how you look (except from surgery I guess..) so just try and work on self-confidence. Go on a nice big shopping spree, get a cute dress and splurge on fancy make-up. Cos, believe it or not - you WILL have something over your sister...just try figure out what it is and work with that.
i have a little sister that feels she is so ugly but i think she is perfect just the way she is she thinks that i am prettier how can i make my sister look better than me she does not have the best weight she is always comparing her weight to her friends and me in the world i just would want her to think she is perfect the way she is

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending