The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by iluckabout
Agree?

Not really, sure they have more nukes but half of them don't even work and will probably pop on launch. Also if you look at their tanks / aircraft / jets / infantry loadout they are all inferior variants to US equipment, compare the MiGs to F16, the apache to the halo etc.

The only upper hand Russia has is it's large size making it difficult to occupy and it's potential to mobilise a super conscription if war breaks out.

In case you haven't been reading the news, China will be the next super-power in the coming decade.
It has a GDP only slightly larger than that of Texas. Case closed really.
The only advantage Russia has is its size, and even that that's easily a disadvantage with regards to mobilisation, as someone else previously mentioned.
Reply 4
Interested to know.
I actually LOL'd when I saw this. I thought it was a joke. Posters 3 and 4 made the points well. US leads in education (think how many of the top university’s are in the US), technology, GDP, etc etc.
On the point some people use of having more Nukes, when the US has more than enough to destroy the world many times over, what the hell difference does Russia having more nukes than the US have? I’ve never understood that?
Surely the fact Russia has to use is resources as an implement of foreign policy is, in itself, a show of how weak the country is.
China and the US will be the 2 superpowers of the 21st Century...
Reply 6
China will be the next superpower. Russia dont have enough men to do that.
Reply 8
Um, the US had to bail Russia out after the collapse of the USSR. They were giving them economic aid up until very recently. In fact, they may still be getting aid.

Quite humiliating.
Original post by Paul PTS
Not the size, lol. For example, why the residents of Nepal are famous world-wide as best soldiers of British Army? Cause the climate they live at, makes them strong.

There are 30 applicants for every availabe vacancy in the Brigade of Gurkhas. The British can pick the best of the best. How exactly is that comparable to Russia, who maitain a conscript army?

The same is with Russian.
I mean for example -30 at winter is quite nice. And certainly not much British will eat and drink, what the Russians got used to.
About mobilisation - when it's cold, big group of people has much more problems to get warm place to sleep and warm food to eat. We got experiance of Soviet-Finnish War. So during the War against Hitler, all Russians already had warm cloths. And Nazi didn't.

Of course the Nazi's had warm clothes. What beat the Nazi's was the attrition of four years of war and defeat in battle, not the weather.

And already Russian on ski attacked the tanks. Russian during all history got necessary skills. For example at the begin of 17th century Russian learned a lot from Sweden, Dutch and Scotch hirelings. They already built the wooden houses with guns, and used the whole "walk-towns" against Polish heavy cavalry (the best in Europe).

Didn't stop the Russians getting spanked by the British and French during the Crimean war, of the Germans during the Great War, did it? Russia isn't invincible, nor is it impossible to invade, contrary to what some will say. The United States aces Russia in almost all fields of military. Technology, training, doctrine etc.
Original post by iluckabout
Agree?

Of course not. Russia has a weak economy, poor education, awful governing etc.
In Soviet Russia... :colonhash:
'will always be' U mad? They've never been stronger than the US, not even at anytime during the Cold War. Equal yes, but never stronger.

They never will be either since Russia is by and large run by the Mafia.
Original post by HarveyCanis
'will always be' U mad? They've never been stronger than the US, not even at anytime during the Cold War. Equal yes, but never stronger.

They never will be either since Russia is by and large run by the Mafia.

I'm quite certain they were stronger in the 19th century...
Original post by domino0806
I'm quite certain they were stronger in the 19th century...

Most places were stronger than the USA in the 19th Century. I had attempted to imply they've never been stronger in the modern era.
Reply 15
No.
Reply 16
No.

Russia's main purposes are to be the world's main gas provider and the world's giant forest and wilderness.

It now has no political influence whatsoever, unless being the main gas provider counts as political influence.
Reply 17
Russia are nowhere near the level of the US. The interesting thing is that the UK now looks at Russia and thinks:'meh, pretty weak country now compared to before, and falling in power and influence'. But the russians think the same about us. Still, Russia has nothing on the US.
You are incorrect. Sorry. But those saying Russia has no influence, you are wrong too. Russia is a permanent member of the UN security council and recently used their power to veto a resolution on action against Syria. While Russia may no longer be a superpower, its size and considerable natural resources continue to aid its politcal influence and the fact is Russia is still a sizable political force. Having said that, it is evident to anyone, the USA is superior both economically and technologically to Russia at the present time.
Reply 19
Original post by No Man
No.

Russia's main purposes are to be the world's main gas provider and the world's giant forest and wilderness.

It now has no political influence whatsoever, unless being the main gas provider counts as political influence.

Well actually it does

Latest

Trending

Trending