The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mikeyd85
:eek3:

No way! I really like the look of their price. So long as it's root-able I'll be fine with it :wink:

$200 bounty for a reversible root and $800 bounty for Honeycomb/ICS ROM
Reply 9881
My lecturer reckons Packet Sniffing is the easiest option. Anyone know of a simple packet sniffer which works over wireless networks and can get encrypted information?
Original post by spikeymike
:emo:

I come to you guys as my last resort to figure out an idea for a honours project idea... I'm supposed to be working with Kinect but I'm stumped for any innovative ideas...

Anyone? :colondollar:

How good is Kinect at facial recognition? You could have some sort of set up going where it unlocks a door when it sees someone (like those floor sensitive sensors), or unlocks for specific authorised people when it recognises them -without swiping a card or ID, and it doubles up as a camera.

Don't know much so I don't know if you're looking for something very Tech specific.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
How good is Kinect at facial recognition? You could have some sort of set up going where it unlocks a door when it sees someone (like those floor sensitive sensors), or unlocks for specific authorised people when it recognises them -without swiping a card or ID, and it doubles up as a camera.

Don't know much so I don't know if you're looking for something very Tech specific.

Yeah, I was thinking about facial recognition, not sure, need more research.

Only problem with facial recognition and doors, is that... what happens if you're in a group, and 1 person of that group isn't allowed? He/She would probably be able to get in unless you implemented one of those things you get train stations. The 3 pronged thing that rotates as you walk through.

Edit:
or the Dundee library. :p:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9884
Original post by Puma
My lecturer reckons Packet Sniffing is the easiest option. Anyone know of a simple packet sniffer which works over wireless networks and can get encrypted information?

http://www.wireshark.org/ maybe?
Wow, only 50 posts before thread close :eek:

Original post by Puma

See the expand box in my post above - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=34540062&postcount=9943
It's a little incoherent but might help you get started.
Note that you cannot be completely passive (i.e. just sniff). You'll need to inject something to be able to get a foot in the door of the ssl encryption.

Probably a repost, but I do like it :smile:

That will let you see the traffic, but it will still be encrypted.

SSLStrip (as I said above) is a good starting point and I've had it working. I was able to sniff traffic on my network at home and recover my own GMail password from the passing traffic - it seems Google aren't hashing the password before transmission, just bundling up the plaintext in the encrypted stream (or at least this was the case a while ago).
(edited 12 years ago)
Will this allow me to connect two Ethernet cables as if it was just one long cable? It's too late because I've already bought it (cheap..), but I'm just wondering if it'll actually do what I want it to.

-- edit --

I don't think I want to know why Amazon are recommending me epilators :indiff:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9889
Original post by secretmessages
Will this allow me to connect two Ethernet cables as if it was just one long cable? It's too late because I've already bought it (cheap..), but I'm just wondering if it'll actually do what I want it to.

:yep:

-- edit --

:lolwut:

Very interesting first day at TSR HQ, some interesting things happening, very interesting. :holmes:

:ta:

Very interesting first day at TSR HQ, some interesting things happening, very interesting. :holmes:

:beard:
Original post by Dez

How soon before the red username and renaming to 'Dz'?
Reply 9892
Original post by Chrosson

How soon before the red username and renaming to 'Dz'?

It'll get sorted at some point I suppose. :beard: I don't need access to the admin CP for what I'm doing right now, but I'm sure it'll come in handy later. :colonhash:
Original post by Dez
It'll get sorted at some point I suppose. :beard: I don't need access to the admin CP for what I'm doing right now, but I'm sure it'll come in handy later. :colonhash:

Are we allowed to ask you what you're up to, or is it top secret? :beard:
Reply 9894
Original post by Chrosson
Are we allowed to ask you what you're up to, or is it top secret? :beard:

It's a surprise. :awesome:

Don't expect it any time soon though, it's quite a long project. :moon:
Original post by Dez

I must have missed you mentioning this before...
but, congratulations :awesome:

now fix everything that is broken:^_^:
Original post by Dez
It's a surprise. :awesome:

Don't expect it any time soon though, it's quite a long project. :moon:

I wasn't aware you were interning... :lolwut:

-- edit --

Looks reasonable.
Reply 9898
Sigh, was careless and didn't realise that OpenSUSE was installing to my external hard disk (sdc) rather than my internal hard disk (sdb). :frown:

It's had a change from ntfs to ext4, a write of 4.7 GB-ish, and a second format change to NTFS so I can use Recuva on it in Windows. Going to see how much I can recover when not super busy. Wagers on how much I can get back?

FYI and for your general amusement, the reason it wrote to the external drive was because it apparently had no partition table data. Luckily, most of the drive was backed up, just lost SOME of my music, of which all of it is recoverable from a share back at my out of term address.

The recovery attempt is purely for curiosity reasons.

EDIT: And we've lost another great: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/10/24/father_lisp_ai_john_mccarthy_dies/
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9899
Original post by Tathrim
Sigh, was careless and didn't realise that OpenSUSE was installing to my external hard disk (sdc) rather than my internal hard disk (sdb). :frown:

It's had a change from ntfs to ext4, a write of 4.7 GB-ish, and a second format change to NTFS so I can use Recuva on it in Windows. Going to see how much I can recover when not super busy. Wagers on how much I can get back?

FYI and for your general amusement, the reason it wrote to the external drive was because it apparently had no partition table data. Luckily, most of the drive was backed up, just lost SOME of my music, of which all of it is recoverable from a share back at my out of term address.

The recovery attempt is purely for curiosity reasons.

EDIT: And we've lost another great: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/10/24/father_lisp_ai_john_mccarthy_dies/

Similar thing happened to my friends external. took 5 days to scan the 1TB harddrive and recover 38,000 files...

Latest

Trending

Trending