The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Interview in 2 more days, with Magdalene College's Doctoral of Studies Stuart Martin, and written test in 4 days!!! *Panicked*

On some random note, anyone minds to solve this question:

Find the product of gradients (m1m2m3) of an equilateral triangle. Hint: Equilateral triangle is the clue. If possible, please show the working cause I'm lost now! :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Nicholasng925
Interview in 2 more days, with Magdalene College's Doctoral of Studies Stuart Martin, and written test in 4 days!!! *Panicked*

On some random note, anyone minds to solve this question:

Find the product of gradients (m1m2m3) of an equilateral triangle. Hint: Equilateral triangle is the clue. If possible, please show the working cause I'm lost now! :frown:

Clue:

Spoiler

Answer:

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2202
Great, seems like im the only one still waiting to get a letter from imperial!
Original post by jameswhughes
You're from Yorkshire? :five:

Yes. Why? :smile:
York to be precise...gods own county :biggrin:
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Dammit you're confusing me now! :P Are they really that good, Lancaster Vs Birmingham now. Which should I have as a back up?!

Lancaster!!! Hahah sorry but they're all so good :smile: Like it says below the course and location are the most important factors. Have you been to either of the open days? What is the subject you're applying for? :smile:

Original post by Miller693
Sorry - accidental neg rep. My bad.

But seriously, first of all check out the courses.Lancaster has much more of an emphasis on pure maths, which is quite different at uni, compared to at school. Birmingham has a more typical mix. It depends which you'd prefer. Oh and entry requirements.

Then I'd think about the cities themselves; do you want to be in a very large city right in the centre or in a smaller one on the outskirts. Also think about journey times and costs for you etc.

I personally chose Lancaster, because I don't think I'd be able to stand the giant city
culture.

:smile:
Reply 2205
Original post by Reminisce
Clue:

Spoiler

Answer:

Spoiler

How do we know the gradient of any of the sides? (Maybe I am misreading the question, but surely we can have simply have the triangle rotated around? The question does not give an initial starting position...so how do we know the exact gradients, but only relative ones?)
Original post by twig
How do we know the gradient of any of the sides? (Maybe I am misreading the question, but surely we can have simply have the triangle rotated around? The question does not give an initial starting position...so how do we know the exact gradients, but only relative ones?)

Yeah there is the problem of that, I had to make an assumption (either it is more complicated or perhaps wherever he got the question from, it was drawn in the generic case).

EDIT: I think I figured it out: you have tan(60+x) as the gradient for one side to account for rotation then the other side is tan(x) instead of 1 and the third side is -tan(60-x). Draw a graph to see, I think this is the general case.

Might be able to simplify if you expand using the identity...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by BeccaCath94

Original post by BeccaCath94
Yes. Why? :smile:
York to be precise...gods own county :biggrin:

I'm from Yorkshire too, Leeds :awesome:
Reply 2208
hey guys, I saw this in one of the STEP papers, prove that that there are no positive integers a, b or c such that:

an+bn=cna^{n} + b^{n} = c^{n}

when n>2

...:awesome:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ilyking

Original post by ilyking
hey guys, I saw this in one of the STEP papers, prove that that there are no positive integers a, b or c such that:

when n>2

Trololol, time to call up Andrew Wiles.
Original post by ilyking

when n>2

Now that would take over 100 pages :colondollar:
Reply 2211
Original post by Edwin Okli
Trololol, time to call up Andrew Wiles.

this is what it said in the markscheme:

http://files.asme.org/MEMagazine/Articles/Web/15299.pdf
Original post by ilyking

when n>2

I have a proof - but it doesn't quite fit in this post.
Original post by ilyking

when n>2

Right, time to get the old Taniyama-Shimura conjecture out...
Original post by anyone_can_fly
I have a proof - but it doesn't quite fit in this post.

want....to...neg
Can't...stop...self...from...+repping
Original post by ben-smith
want....to...neg
Can't...stop...self...from...+repping

:biggrin: The best thing about this thread is that we all instantly got ilyking's troll. You don't get that in the real world.
the joy of mathematics :smile:
Original post by jameswhughes
I'm from Yorkshire too, Leeds :awesome:

Ahhh very nice :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by dnumberwang
I've got an email from Imperial too, just an hour ago

imperial do exist afterall! imperial aint as welcoming as the other unis :eek:
Reply 2219
Original post by anyone_can_fly
:biggrin: The best thing about this thread is that we all instantly got ilyking's troll. You don't get that in the real world.

not exactly.

I'd say I am 40% troll, 60% human. So you could argue that I'm actually a hybrid.

Latest