The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by candide
I'm a debater so I know how to make up quotes and statistics. Golden rule number 1. Never make up authorities.

If you're gonna invent a statistic or quote, the way you make it believable is if you cite a respected and well-known authority. This idiot could have got away with his bland quote had he the sense to attribute it to the Royal Society or the BMA or the Wellcome Group or sumat...

*exasperated sight*

I'd never risk making up sumat on the BMAT tho. Debate is one thing, Oxford is another.

If i tried to make something up it'd probably just be something completely ridiculous :rofl: so i'll probably just not bother with any statistics anyway.

I think the one in the book is only an example though, but i bet some people do do it, i want to see an example of someone who gets an X for their quality of english :mmm:
Reply 9001
Original post by manic_fuzz
If i tried to make something up it'd probably just be something completely ridiculous :rofl: so i'll probably just not bother with any statistics anyway.

I think the one in the book is only an example though, but i bet some people do do it, i want to see an example of someone who gets an X for their quality of english :mmm:

What irritates me is half the essays are doctor-themed, but they use the test for vets and scientists aswell... I mean, how is that fair??? What reason have I ever had to think about medical ethics???

I dunno, a very international applicant??
Reply 9002
Original post by medbh4805
Absolutely not

Lol, Richard Dawkins is teaching atheism 'science literacy'.
Reply 9003
I sincerely hope the time taken for the college to send an email isn't a reflection on how strong a candidate I am. If so, I have no hope, haha.
:hug: Aww you needn't get so stressed about it all, you're obviously good enough, whatever makes you think otherwise is obviously just wrong and crazy :tongue: you should just ignore TSR, it's good at making people feel unnecessarily belittled in comparison to everyone else :lol:

I know! I'm just such an anxious person, I can't wait to just sit the HAT and send my work off, then it won't be in my hands anymore! :biggrin:
Original post by candide
What irritates me is half the essays are doctor-themed, but they use the test for vets and scientists aswell... I mean, how is that fair??? What reason have I ever had to think about medical ethics???

I dunno, a very international applicant??

I see where you're coming from, although, i think there's now a 4th question option which is veterinary-related as the prospective vets complained that the others were all too doctor-focused. So it seems it's only the prospective scientists who are at a disadvantage :frown:

Haha yes i suppose! :lol:
Original post by Niki_girl
I know! I'm just such an anxious person, I can't wait to just sit the HAT and send my work off, then it won't be in my hands anymore! :biggrin:

I am the opposite, I am confident as long as it IS in my hands.
Reply 9007
Happy Diwali guys ! :biggrin:
Original post by Niki_girl

Well it's not long now :wink: And then we just have to wait :eek:
Reply 9009
I see where you're coming from, although, i think there's now a 4th question option which is veterinary-related as the prospective vets complained that the others were all too doctor-focused. So it seems it's only the prospective scientists who are at a disadvantage :frown:

Haha yes i suppose! :lol:

there's usually a nice one about 'philosophy of science' so I'll probs do that.

speaking of vets, I've had to put my kittens on nil-by-mouth tonight. Tomorrow's there big day! :eek:

they shall come back eunuchs of the feline kind :frown:
Original post by candide

speaking of vets, I've had to put my kittens on nil-by-mouth tonight. Tomorrow's there big day! :eek:

Ah good :smile: and oh my! well, good luck to your little kittens :eek:
Reply 9011
Ah good :smile: and oh my! well, good luck to your little kittens :eek:

i shall pass on your message :wink:
Original post by candide
x

This will sound so random, but your tumblr is pretty interesting :redface: It's good!:tongue:
Original post by candide
Lol, Richard Dawkins is teaching atheism 'science literacy'.

Also, if I really wanted to get a Uni of London International degree, I would save myself 10K and do the self teaching programme....
Reply 9014
Original post by calamitysarah
This will sound so random, but your tumblr is pretty interesting :redface: It's good!:tongue:

REP REP REP REP REP REP!!! :biggrin:

why thankyou! I'm honoured. :smile:

Original post by medbh4805
Also, if I really wanted to get a Uni of London International degree, I would save myself 10K and do the self teaching programme....

I have to admit their 'professoriate' is pretty impressive tho - besides Dawkins, they have Pinker, Steve Jones, AC Grayling, Simon Blackburn, Niall Twatarse Fergusson, Dworkin, Singer... but then I wonder, these guys have jobs at Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard, Yale etc etc, do you think they'll actually be teaching all the snot-nosed rich kids???
Original post by candide

*cries* Whaaaaa :redface: that means no kitty babies :frown: why!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQHCZcSRCOQ
Reply 9016
Original post by Brand New Eyes
*cries* Whaaaaa :redface: that means no kitty babies :frown: why!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQHCZcSRCOQ

cos then I'd have to drown them, wouldn't I? :frown:

Its better to wear a condom than bring an unwanted baby into the world, Mr Ben 16
Original post by candide

you sound a bit excited there :') I deleted my tumblr about two weeks ago.. there were far too many people just posting photos off weheartit.com :tongue:
Original post by candide

I have to admit their 'professoriate' is pretty impressive tho - besides Dawkins, they have Pinker, Steve Jones, AC Grayling, Simon Blackburn, Niall Twatarse Fergusson, Dworkin, Singer... but then I wonder, these guys have jobs at Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard, Yale etc etc, do you think they'll actually be teaching all the snot-nosed rich kids???

My guess is that most of the teaching will be not be done by them themselves...

While I'm sure Dawkins is great as a scientist and all, judging by the standard of argument he presents in his debates and books like the God Delusion I don't think he'd make a good humanities lecturer. Irrespective of their position on the existence of God everyone I've met who has any knowledge of philosophy has said the same; generally just poor. I can't comment on the others but I wouldn't want to lectured by him tbh :colonhash:
Original post by candide
cos then I'd have to drown them, wouldn't I? :frown:

Its better to wear a condom than bring an unwanted baby into the world, Mr Ben 16

So unwanted children would be better off dead....

brb, away to kill myself :colonhash:

Latest

Trending

Trending