The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9900
Original post by Kenny_uk
Similar thing happened to my friends external. took 5 days to scan the 1TB harddrive and recover 38,000 files...

I hope it doesn't take THAT long. My drive's a 640 GB drive. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I DO have an i7 with 8GB RAM, so hopefully it'll be a day or two.
Reply 9901
Original post by Mad Vlad
I wasn't aware you were interning... :lolwut:

It's a permanent job. :fyi:

Original post by Tathrim

The bottleneck is going to be the HDD read access time I would imagine, rather than the CPU. I wouldn't wait up for it, will definitely take a while.
Reply 9902
Original post by Tathrim

probably only a day or so lol. I only have an Amd athlon x2 with 3gb ram.
Reply 9903
Original post by Dez

The bottleneck is going to be the HDD read access time I would imagine, rather than the CPU. I wouldn't wait up for it, will definitely take a while.

I'll set it running in the monring, then.

'Grats on the job. :biggrin:
Reply 9904
Original post by Dez

TSR is based in my home town, brighton right? :biggrin:
Have been bombarded with another load of Milkround e-mails for IT grad schemes and similar roles. Need to sort through them, pick the most interesting contenders and fire off a few speculative applications :awesome:

Original post by Dez

Get your new colleagues to give you a proper red usertitle and announce your arrival in the Staff Changes thread :fuhrer:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9906
TSR is based in my home town, brighton right? :biggrin:

It's in the North Laines. Very :awesome: place to work!

Original post by ch0llima
Get your new colleagues to give you a proper red usertitle and announce your arrival in the Staff Changes thread :fuhrer:

Will sort it out at some point. It's been a busy couple of days, lots of meetings, lots of ideas. :p:

Original post by Dez
Will sort it out at some point. It's been a busy couple of days, lots of meetings, lots of ideas. :p:

What name are you going for? I think "Z" has a nice ring to it :teeth:
Reply 9908
Original post by Dez
It's in the North Laines. Very :awesome: place to work!

I know the place :P I loved the laines! are you from brighton originally or relocated?
Reply 9909
Original post by secretmessages
What name are you going for? I think "Z" has a nice ring to it :teeth:

No idea. Perhaps I should have a poll or something? Would probably be DP, or dP perhaps. :holmes:

I know the place :P I loved the laines! are you from brighton originally or relocated?

I lived around here originally, then moved to York, then to Crawley. Commuting in atm, which isn't too bad with the majority of people heading the other way (i.e. towards London). :smile:
Reply 9910
Original post by Dez
No idea. Perhaps I should have a poll or something? Would probably be DP, or dP perhaps. :holmes:

I lived around here originally, then moved to York, then to Crawley. Commuting in atm, which isn't too bad with the majority of people heading the other way (i.e. towards London). :smile:

Aye I remember that route. I left brighton for leeds, then down to newport now. hoping to go back in a few years and find work there. Enjoy it!

Original post by Dez

Your initials are unfortunate. Maybe it's just me and my dodgy mind, but.. cannot unsee :ninja2:
Reply 9912
Your initials are unfortunate. Maybe it's just me and my dodgy mind, but.. cannot unsee :ninja2:

Wait, what? :erm:
Okay, question. So my Ethernet coupler arrived and it works, and I'm getting good download speeds through en0. However, I can also connect through wifi simultaneously, and I didn't know this was possible. I'm basically connected to the router twice and have two different internal IPs for the same machine. What is this, and is this good/bad/pointless?

Damn I can't rep you :frown:

Original post by Dez
Wait, what? :erm:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dp
Reply 9915
Okay, question. So my Ethernet coupler arrived and it works, and I'm getting good download speeds through en0. However, I can also connect through wifi simultaneously, and I didn't know this was possible. I'm basically connected to the router twice and have two different internal IPs for the same machine. What is this, and is this good/bad/pointless?

Pointless/bad for other machines on the network, as you're hogging anther device for DHCP allocation (the router only has so many spaces it can handle) and the throughput will be better on the wired connection.

EDIT: When we moving to version 3.0 of this thread? We've got 12(?) posts left.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tathrim

Original post by Tathrim
Pointless/bad for other machines on the network, as you're hogging anther device for DHCP allocation (the router only has so many spaces it can handle) and the throughput will be better on the wired connection.

EDIT: When we moving to version 3.0 of this thread? We've got 12(?) posts left.

But on a selfish note, how good is it for me? There aren't that many devices here anyway so allocation isn't going to be a problem. At the moment it appears to be connected through both methods but it's just using the fastest (Ethernet).

I'll sort the new thread out (if I'm around) when we hit 10000 :yep:
Reply 9917

:lolwut: Is that seriously what firsts pops into your heads? Very very troubling. I suppose I could use my middle initial as well, but that would go against convention somewhat...

Original post by Dez
:lolwut: Is that seriously what firsts pops into your heads? Very very troubling. I suppose I could use my middle initial as well, but that would go against convention somewhat...

I don't think you can go against convention as much as Fleur does :p:
Reply 9919
I don't think you can go against convention as much as Fleur does :p:

Good point. :p: I'd like to go with just D, but I got beaten by about ten years or so to that. :grumble:

Latest

Trending

Trending