The Student Room Group

Rape:'Why didn't you take a taxi?'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DorianGrayism
Well, if the taxi driver has a brain, then they would realise that making a phone call to tell someone you are in a random taxi isn't going to make a difference. If he was going to rape you, he would probably be in a unregistered taxi that has no way of being tracked unless it is visually picked up.

Well stay on the phone then during the journey, and if they seem dodgy take their license number, and don't go into an unregistered taxi, wait for one that is by a proper taxi company? Not exactly difficult.
Reply 101
Original post by Jimbo1234
:facepalm:

So by your logic, it is futile to take precautions.
Well, tell that to everyone who has either avoided rape or attacks due to these precautions :rolleyes:
Wake up and take responsibility for you actions, or more accurately, inactions.

Both people are at fault when the victim is able to avoid the crime.
No one would have sympathy for the idiot who walked around a poor town with his wallet and phone out in their palms.
Why is it different with this? Oh, because it is a crime where women like to rally around the " OMG men did it!" flag and deny any responsibility for their own safety and pretend that every person is a good person as they are lazy. Well guess what? These are sadly the consequences for denial.

No, I feel the exact same about theft. I don't see why people shouldn't be able to leave their property in public places without being paranoid about someone stealing it.

Again with the same attitude many people admit that they'd steal a wallet if they weren't to be caught, because society's attitude is that it's the victim's fault, when it isn't, it's the person who stole the property's fault.

If you don't agree with me on this then we have a fundamental disagreement which I doubt will change.

EMZ.
Reply 102
Original post by Philbert
It's not safe for women to be walking around alone at night; shouldn't we be tackling that issue rather than berating women for not taking taxis?

And how does one tackle the issue of stranger rape? Everyone without exception knows it's wrong... But it still happens. It's a horrible world, and I wish people would stop looking on the bright side of life. Precautions are the way forwards, as well as tackling the rape issue.

Maybe we should all stop getting immunisations because disease shouldn't exist either? :rolleyes:
Original post by kerily
Oh thank Lord, someone talking sense. Why are we telling women not to get raped instead of telling men not to rape?

It's not like getting a taxi is even something everyone can do. You can't always afford a taxi (especially if you're in London!), you can't always flag one down, you might not have a working phone on you (lack of credit, lack of battery) and you might have a phone but no idea of local taxi numbers. Does this mean you deserve to be raped? Obviously not.

The point here should be 'if you see a woman walking alone at night, don't rape her' as opposed to 'if you're a woman, or have any chance of being perceived as one, don't walk around alone at night'.

We're not telling women not to get raped, we're telling them to take precautions.

Do you also feel indignant when you are told that you should lock your front door? Why do we tell people not to get burgled, we should tell burglars not to take people's stuff :rolleyes:
Original post by TurboCretin
Women should not be made to feel bad for having been raped.

Yeah. I remember reading about a 15 year old girl who had been raped, and her mother "couldn't look at her" because she was "ashamed" of her. :lolwut: These people are just going about their business, not asking to be raped. It's not the victim's fault.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 105

Herpaderp - but we do tackle rape, HENCE why it is against the law! God forbid people take responsibility for their own safety! :eek:

The awkward moment when you realise downloading music from file sharing sties is against the law and the bare minimum is done to stop it. Just because its against the law doesn't mean an issue is being tackled.

Logic fail.
Original post by AlmostChicGeek
Well stay on the phone then during the journey, and if they seem dodgy take their license number, and don't go into an unregistered taxi, wait for one that is by a proper taxi company? Not exactly difficult.

Oh yea. So pay for the taxi and a phone call home as well.

Also, make sure you carry round a pen and pad of paper, so that you can take licence number down after your in the cab and you decided they are dodgy.

Obviously, you cannot forget that you need to make sure that it is a "proper taxi company" as well because that could never be faked.

I suggest that we should also bring a camera in the bag to photograph the taxi driver.
Reply 107
Original post by kerily
Oh thank Lord, someone talking sense. Why are we telling women not to get raped instead of telling men not to rape?

It's not like getting a taxi is even something everyone can do. You can't always afford a taxi (especially if you're in London!), you can't always flag one down, you might not have a working phone on you (lack of credit, lack of battery) and you might have a phone but no idea of local taxi numbers. Does this mean you deserve to be raped? Obviously not.

The point here should be 'if you see a woman walking alone at night, don't rape her' as opposed to 'if you're a woman, or have any chance of being perceived as one, don't walk around alone at night'.

Tbh no one said that not having all those things means you deserve to be raped, so stop being so dramatic.

Is Eamonn Holmes an egghead internally as well as externally or something? Does he not think that the agony of hindsight with regards to getting a taxi hasn't preyed on this poor woman's mind since the attack happened? What is the point in telling her what she obviously knows, the dumb insensitive fool.
Original post by kerily
Why are we telling victims not to get raped instead of telling potential rapists not to rape?

Fixed.
Reply 109
Why should we have to take a taxi? Yes it's safer, we know that (well apart from unlicensed taxi drivers). However shouldn't we have the freedom to choose whether or not we can take a taxi, without the fear of being raped? The rapists should be stopped, not the woman for choosing the route she wants to go home by.
Reply 110
Original post by IB_19
Why should we have to take a taxi? Yes it's safer, we know that (well apart from unlicensed taxi drivers). However shouldn't we have the freedom to choose whether or not we can take a taxi, without the fear of being raped? The rapists should be stopped, not the woman for choosing the route she wants to go home by.

If only we could station a police officer in every single dark area of the entire country. In fact, lets do it. Let's make 1/4 of our population a police officer.
Original post by hs1991
I'm sorry but this isn't always the case. Up until last year, I would walk anywhere on my own in the dark and it wouldn't bother me. I know it's the same old "I didn't think it would happen to me" but no-one does. I work at my local pub and used to walk home by myself at midnight and it would only take 5 minutes. Last year, although I wasn't raped, I was attacked on my way home from work, on my own street, at 10.30 at night. Women are now being criticised for not taking taxis home but where do you draw the line? Should I have been getting a taxi for that 5 minute walk four times a week?

Did you get beatted up?
Original post by DorianGrayism
Oh yea. So pay for the taxi and a phone call home as well.

Also, make sure you carry round a pen and pad of paper, so that you can take licence number down after your in the cab and you decided they are dodgy.

Obviously, you cannot forget that you need to make sure that it is a "proper taxi company" as well because that could never be faked.

I suggest that we should also bring a camera in the bag to photograph the taxi driver.

Don't be so obtuse, everyone has a mobile nowadays, with the capability of taking notes, and I meant tell the person on the phone. Also they have to have their licence on display, open the door, say hi, make sure you can see they have a license, and that it looks legit, or even better phone one from a proper company, and also most phones have cameras nowadays :wink:

Anything else you want to pick at? It is all quite reasonable.

Both people are at fault when the victim is able to avoid the crime.
No one would have sympathy for the idiot who walked around a poor town with his wallet and phone out in their palms.
Why is it different with this? Oh, because it is a crime where women like to rally around the " OMG men did it!" flag and deny any responsibility for their own safety and pretend that every person is a good person as they are lazy. Well guess what? These are sadly the consequences for denial.

Personally I don't think that you can really compare a woman walking home at night with someone wandering round with his wallet hanging out.

That guy is clearly flaunting something that many people need/want - by stealing the thief is gaining money that he needs (or just wants).

A woman walking home at night is not flaunting anything. Yes, she may be flaunting her body, but we all know that rapes happen to young, undeveloped girls and women who are very covered up too. It is not a sexual thing when a man rapes a woman - how can it be pleasurable when her body is fighting so hard against it? It is an act of violence - more personal and violating than most other kinds of violence, but violence nonetheless.

What does a man gain from a rape? He would feel powerful, but there would be no material gain.

Women should be aware that there are rapists out there and bare this in mind when out, in the same way that people should be aware that there are thieves, but it shouldn't get to the stage when a woman is being told to take a 3 minute taxi ride rather than walking home because then it would be her fault if she were raped.
Do you lock your front door when you leave the house? I never do. I firmly believe we should be tackling the issue of burglary rather than warning people to take security precautions.

Someone stole something from my house the other night - I was pissed off because it wasn't my fault, it was all his fault. And maybe the State's fault.

Remember that fault is not the same as responsibility.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 115
Original post by Elipsis
If only we could station a police officer in every single dark area of the entire country. In fact, lets do it. Let's make 1/4 of our population a police officer.

Well no, but rapists shouldn't have that mentality anyway. It's common sense to be safe during the night-time. However, it's silly how women are being made to work around this, when it could easily be avoided by rapists not having those intentions.
Reply 116
Erm, taxi-drivers can also rape women...
As the saying goes, society teaches, "Don't get raped" rather than "Don't rape". It's pretty pathetic that this view is still commonplace.
Original post by AlmostChicGeek
Don't be so obtuse, everyone has a mobile nowadays, with the capability of taking notes, and I meant tell the person on the phone. Also they have to have their licence on display, open the door, say hi, make sure you can see they have a license, and that it looks legit, or even better phone one from a proper company, and also most phones have cameras nowadays :wink:

Anything else you want to pick at? It is all quite reasonable.

Well, I wasn't being obtuse. It was sarcasm. Anyway....

Yeh.... as I said before, because these things cannot be faked and because unregistered cab drivers don't walk around with fake licences.

Actually, in Ireland, you don't even to register to get a licence. You can rent one out without restriction.

Hence, making your solution useless.

But don't worry. In Britain, as long as the rapist isn't an unregistered taxi driver then you should be good to go with your pen and pad.
Reply 119
I don't understand all this fuss over what he said, I would have said the same thing.... It's not exactly intended in a way of 'it is your fault you got raped'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending