The Student Room Group

Rape:'Why didn't you take a taxi?'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kerily
Oh thank Lord, someone talking sense. Why are we telling women not to get raped instead of telling men not to rape?

It's not like getting a taxi is even something everyone can do. You can't always afford a taxi (especially if you're in London!), you can't always flag one down, you might not have a working phone on you (lack of credit, lack of battery) and you might have a phone but no idea of local taxi numbers. Does this mean you deserve to be raped? Obviously not.

The point here should be 'if you see a woman walking alone at night, don't rape her' as opposed to 'if you're a woman, or have any chance of being perceived as one, don't walk around alone at night'.

It's incredibly naive to believe that every time someone says that 'you should have got a taxi' that they are also saying that person deserved to get raped. While yes, we should be telling men not to rape, but being able to stop it isn't going to happen. There is no way you're ever going to wipe crime out 100% so the fact is, women need to take precautions, and this means taking a taxi, or at the very least, walking home with a friend. It is in no way saying they deserved to get raped.
Original post by DorianGrayism
Well, I wasn't being obtuse. It was sarcasm. Anyway....

Yeh.... as I said before, because these things cannot be faked and because unregistered cab drivers don't walk around with fake licences.

Actually, in Ireland, you don't even to register to get a licence. You can rent one out without restriction.

Hence, making your solution useless.

But don't worry. In Britain, as long as the rapist isn't an unregistered taxi driver then you should be good to go with your pen and pad.

As I said before, phone one, and they should have your name? And as I said, use your phone not a pen and pad. I would appreciate it if you didn't ignore my reasonable points :wink:

And if you think my solution is useless, you believe that it is safer to walk the streets then?
Reply 122
Original post by Jimbo1234
Link

It is about time someone reminded all these naive women that no matter what your "rights" are, you still have to take responsibility for your safety or sadly face the consequences.

And how many women get raped in taxis?
Original post by AlmostChicGeek
As I said before, phone one, and they should have your name? And as I said, use your phone not a pen and pad. I would appreciate it if you didn't ignore my reasonable points :wink:

Missed the point..................Clearly, didn't read what I wrote.

Original post by AlmostChicGeek

And if you think my solution is useless, you believe that it is safer to walk the streets then?

No, I just said your solution would be useless from preventing Taxi Drivers from raping you. I didn't say it would less safe.

Telling people to take taxi's is safer than walking is like telling people that it is safer to leave your door closed than open.

It is a obvious thing that everyone knows already. IF people could to do it regularly, then they would.
(edited 12 years ago)
I will probably get negs for this, girls we need to look after ourselves telling rapists to stop raping women will not make a difference. We don't live in an ideal world and that is just the way it is. These 'men' are so sick and twisted they are not going to listen. If they had any fear they would fear the law, it is much more effective to tell women to just be on their guard. When go home after a night out you should take a taxi especially if you are going alone and/or drunk. A lot of girls are complaining 'why should I have to get a taxi','It is expensive in London', it is for your own saftey, your saftey should mean more to you than the money spent on the taxi journey. There is a weirdo around my university attacking drunk girls while they are on their own which has put me on guard, I never walk back home late at night without someone.
Original post by Philbert
It's not safe for women to be walking around alone at night; shouldn't we be tackling that issue rather than berating women for not taking taxis?

This post got a lot of positives, but y'all are forgetting that it will never be completely safe so you are are missing the point and skirting the issue.

It's like this current struggle of freedom/liberties vs the state that we're in (heightened since 9/11). Most people agree the COST of freedom entails a risk. If you want to eradicate that risk, the only option is to never leave your home. The rest of us implicitly accept that we are not completely safe when we wander about town or on public transport or on a plane, but we accept that because in return we have freedom and we'd take this option over being constrained in our daily lives (would you really want to be searched everywhere you go?).

If you're wandering about at night you are just adding to the danger unecessarily. Everyone should take precautions-- man, woman or child -- but women get touchy when they are told to take precautions as though "men" (or society) shouldn't tell them what they should or should not do. Taking a taxi home at night is common sense. There are always gonna be nutters out there, putting yourself in the way of harm for no particular reason doesn't make sense.
Reply 126
Taxi drivers are also capable of rape.
Me and a friend live on the same street. We often split a taxi back from the pub across town (because it's safer and we like to try and cut down on risks).
However, I live one end of the street - closest to the road - and she lives on the other. Even if the taxi driver drops off on the path right at my end of the street, she has to walk down the street and past a small, dark subway to get home. There is no way she can eliminate the risk of there being someone in that subway waiting to rape her. Often, if we get a decent taxi driver, he will wait to watch her get in her house before he drives off so he can come to the rescue if someone does attack her, but this doesn't always happen - and if I were to wait outside my house and watch her then I face the same risks.
The point I'm making is that it is impossible to eliminate the risk, even if you take every precaution possible (before now when the street light was broken and the street was pitch black she would come into mine and get one of my big coats - so she wasn't seen dressed provocatively - and changed into a pair of flat shoes and slipped a pair of leggings on and took the small torch that my dad usually keeps clipped to his keys with her, but she was still at risk). She has done all of the risk elimination she can, and one night she got flashed at outside her front door while she was sticking the keys in the lock. Of course being flashed isn't as serious as being raped, but telling women to do everything they can to eliminate risks isn't the way to stop rape. During the day, while dressed in scruffy clothes, after taking a taxi and having to walk down a street with 5 houses and a small alleyway, rape can still happen in these circumstances.

And, there is also the case of my friend's mum getting raped in a taxi on her way home from a pub.
Obviously telling women that they should be fine walking home in the dark is not going to stop them getting raped. Why so much hate on the OP?
People are making wonderful assumptions about how safe the girl was being. Many people on here immediately jumped to, "oh, well she could have walked home with someone, idiot"- SHE DID. The fact is, when something like this happens, everyone rocks up with all their accusations that the victim must have done something wrong, otherwise such a thing would never happen.

If you did lock all your doors and you were still robbed, people would feel sympathetic. If it's rape there must be something you did wrong. "Oh, you weren't wearing revealing clothing? Should've walked home with someone then. Oh, you did? Should've stayed on well lit, main streets then. Oh, you did? Shouldn't have been drinking then. Oh, you weren't? ...."
No, what you should do it castrate the ****ing rapists! I'm telling you, do that and you'll definitely see a drop in the number of rape cases.
This is terrible. He seems like he is taking the piss. I watch this morning every now and again........... He tends to piss take or badly put his foot in his mouth.

She can be raped by a taxi driver just as easily. I think he should keep up with the news , wherever you go even on the way home. :rolleyes:

You should not need to have to watch your back and advance plan everywhere you go. You have a right to be safe. This brings up a memory from a conversation I had with my mum a week or two ago.

Some guy got raped by another guy in our local park. He was just a mere jogger. He was jogging around the park. Yes the park is unlit. Yes if you are deep in the park , it may be hard to alert attention if in an altercation but it is still wrong. He may have made a misjudgement but nevertheless does not deserve to be raped.

The simple solution is not to stick your retarded penis in someone against thier free will.

Make the streets safer and take a harder line on rapists. Something different from giving a good old beating to victims.
Original post by Steezy
She could've been raped by the taxi driver anyway.

She should scould her face with boiling water so noone wants to rape her.

Or carry a knife/gun/any other weapon.

Or wear knickers which need a key to remove.

Or never go out again.

Or stop being so unlucky.
It's obviously the woman's fault she got raped rather than oh, you know, the guy who actually raped her.
The culture of victim blaming that surrounds rape disgusts me.
Surely if the Police are doing their job our streets should be safe enough to walk on at any time?
Original post by minimarshmallow
Me and a friend live on the same street. We often split a taxi back from the pub across town (because it's safer and we like to try and cut down on risks).
However, I live one end of the street - closest to the road - and she lives on the other. Even if the taxi driver drops off on the path right at my end of the street, she has to walk down the street and past a small, dark subway to get home. There is no way she can eliminate the risk of there being someone in that subway waiting to rape her. Often, if we get a decent taxi driver, he will wait to watch her get in her house before he drives off so he can come to the rescue if someone does attack her, but this doesn't always happen - and if I were to wait outside my house and watch her then I face the same risks.
The point I'm making is that it is impossible to eliminate the risk, even if you take every precaution possible (before now when the street light was broken and the street was pitch black she would come into mine and get one of my big coats - so she wasn't seen dressed provocatively - and changed into a pair of flat shoes and slipped a pair of leggings on and took the small torch that my dad usually keeps clipped to his keys with her, but she was still at risk). She has done all of the risk elimination she can, and one night she got flashed at outside her front door while she was sticking the keys in the lock. Of course being flashed isn't as serious as being raped, but telling women to do everything they can to eliminate risks isn't the way to stop rape. During the day, while dressed in scruffy clothes, after taking a taxi and having to walk down a street with 5 houses and a small alleyway, rape can still happen in these circumstances.

And, there is also the case of my friend's mum getting raped in a taxi on her way home from a pub.

It's still safer to take a taxi almost all the way home than walk ALL the way home. Risk is reduced.

There will always be crazy perverts out there. They aren't scared of the law as they think they can get away with it. The law needs to be tougher. We're never gonna have a policeman on every corner.
It's complicated. Look at relatively safe places to wander about at night (say Singapore, Malaysia). It's cultural and also involves the law.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 135
Original post by Lil Piranha
But it's not, it's making sure people know how to look after themselves.

Jesus Christ.

A female on TSR talking sense regarding the issue of rape? Wow. Pos+ rep for you.

I want to commend you for your rational approach to the issue of rape. I'm ****ing fed up of seeing/hearing someone give a bit of advice about precautions against rape and then the woman going "OMFG! How DARE YOU?! Women NEVER DESERVE TO BE RAAAPPEDDD!!11!1!"

No-one is saying that the woman deserves to be raped. It would be nice to live in a world of love and peace but sadly, we live in the real world where there are sick minded rapists that won't listen to someone telling them not to rape. Taking precautions against rape is being sensible. I'm not saying that all kinds of rape can be prevented. Sometimes there's absolutely nothing the woman could have done to avoid being raped and she was just unlucky.

But there are scenarios where it can be avoided or at least, lower the chances of being raped. I wish a lot of women would stop avoiding their personal responsibility to take precautions against rape just because of their delusion about the world we live in.

But yeah, I want to applaud you for being spot on throughout this thread. We need more girls/women like you on TSR and in the world.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 136
Original post by psychojonas
Did you get beatted up?

What?
Original post by Jimbo1234

If she called me I would have gave her a lift for a 'small charge' :wink:
Yes, women should try to keep themselves safe, but that doesn't mean it's the victim's own fault. And by the way, since when was the word 'rights' in quotation marks? :rolleyes:
Reply 139
Original post by Elipsis
And how does one tackle the issue of stranger rape? Everyone without exception knows it's wrong... But it still happens. It's a horrible world, and I wish people would stop looking on the bright side of life. Precautions are the way forwards, as well as tackling the rape issue.

Maybe we should all stop getting immunisations because disease shouldn't exist either? :rolleyes:

Lol, yeah. And maybe we should leave the front door of our house wide open 24 hours a day. Afterall, we never deserve to be robbed. Therefore, we should never take any precautions to prevent the house from being robbed. Even by simply shutting the door and keeping it locked. :rofl2:

I'm fed up of the increasing number of irrational women rejecting sensible advice to take precautions against rape just because she has this delusion about the world we live in. Of course, it would be lovely to live in a world of peace and love. But that's not the case in reality, is it? There are sick men in this world who won't listen to someone telling them not to rape. Women saying "WE DON'T DESERVE TO BE RAAPEEDDD!!1!" isn't going to change a damn thing. The fact is that there are rapists out there and taking precaution is the smart thing to do. End of the ****ing story.

I'm tired of many women trying to avoid their responsibility of taking precautions against rape. It's being silly.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending