The Student Room Group

The Food and Drink GAPS IN THE MARKET: WHY U NO MAKE DIS?

It seems puzzling to me that we, here in the UK, have so many Burger, Kebab, and Pizza chains/takeaways battling for supremacy where there are so many possible fast food/restaurant/food types we're completely lacking!

I mean, look at what we have - our largest Fast Food chains are McDonalds, who focus on burgers and fries, KFC, who focus on Fried Chicken, Burgers and fries, Burger King, who offer Burgers and Fries, Subway, who offer Sub sandwiches, Pizza Hut, who offer Pizza, and Dominos, who offer Pizza. It's hardly a MASSIVELY varied range.

What do you think the UK is sorely lacking? I'm not looking for a particular brand, (ie OMFG TACO BELL TACO BELL OMFG), but if it helps illustrate what you think we need then so be it. I just mean, TYPES of food chains.

For example, we have the likes of Ashoka Shack and local takeaways, but we lack a "real" Indian chain... we have practically NO Mexican food/Taco/Fajita chains, Hot Dogs are almost unheard of, Convenience Italian is like Hens' teeth, and GOD DAMN IT, WHERE BE MA POPEYES? Fish is sorely overlooked on all fast food menus, let alone having a dedicated fish fast food restaurant (although I DO love a local chippy).

And what about a Frozen Yoghurt outlet like FroYo?

Or even a Cereal Restaurant like CEREALITY or Cereal Bowl?

Which types of fast food chain cuisine do we sorely lack?

What are the...

Food and Drink GAPS IN THE MARKET: WHY U NO MAKE DIS?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Presumably because the cretins who regularly frequent fast food chain establishments have sufficient choice of processed rubbish to engorge on already.
I think it would be amazing if there was a place you could order delivery proper popcorn/cookies/snacks/candyfloss..I just think how much better all my childhood sleepovers would've been.
Britain could really do with a Chipotle. I miss burritos. :sad:

Or a Jimmy Johns, suck on that Subway. :drool:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Takeaway English breakfasts
Gray's Papaya
i have to fullheartedly go with mexican food... sometime i crave a burrito so bad i feel like crying.. and don't tell me i can get old el paso.. it's not the same! plus it's really expensive for the little you get.

though i am not sure that fast food would be the way to go... taco bell always seems a bit bleugh whenever i have seen people eating it... which is why i generally avoid it. though maybe a kind of subway style mexican (the idea, not the food) or a chain of mexican restaurants.
(edited 12 years ago)
There aren't Thai take aways...I only see restaurants that provide takeaway at restaurant prices :frown:
Why don't fish & chip places deliver?
England needs Red Lobster, like right now.
Reply 10
Agreed on Red Lobster. I think seafood in general is totally overlooked over here. I'd love to go into a McDonalds-a-like and looking on the menu to see Prawn Po'Boys, Lobster Rolls, Spicy battered crayfish, Crab pots and of course instead of fries, traditional ROASTED CORN COBS and SWEET RED POTATOES as sides.

Full Seafood Boil Feast

Primanti Bros Colossal Fish Sandwich

I mean, even MCDONALDS in Canada does a Lobster Roll FUGGODSAKES!
Reply 11
TACO BELL
sometimes I am incredibly glad of the location of where I work. I work near the so-called "Italian quarter" of dublin - which incidentally has about 5 Italian restaurants, it's mostly non-Irish food, basically. I have no idea why they deemed it Italian quarter-worthy. And it's an alleyway. ANYWAY.

For my lunch break in work today, I went to a place that does mexican food. It's not QUITE the same as a take away, but it's not a restaurant either. It's a quick bar thing, you go up to the counter, the food is already lying there and they just put whatever you want together.

Today I went for the chicken, lime chilantro rice (though only a little, I hate rice), 3 kinds of salsa, guacamole, cheese, lettuce and sour cream burrito. I got that and a can of coke for €6 (maybe around £4). I'd spent more if I had gone to McDonalds, this is at least slightly healthier, tastes a hell of a lot better - and is way more filling, it's enough to be my lunch and dinner.

But I wholeheartedly agree. They definitely need more Mexican food. I love mexican. And I kind of wish that there was more Thai food that was available in fast food - not a takeaway, if that makes sense, somewhere that's not a restaurant but that you can pop into and grab quickly. I love trying more unusual kinds of food, different cuisines, etc, so it would be really great if that was more readily available in fast-food form, or at least, without the expense that you tend to incur with major restaurants.

EDIT: I also love fish. Goddamnit. Somewhere give me stuffed crab, monkfish, swordfish, etc without any of the stress/expense of a restaurant. Sadly due to the price of the fish I like that's extremely unlikely, a fillet of swordfish for example would cost at least €6 even just in a fishmonger.

EDIT: I'm also fairly lucky that due to the area in which my university is located, it's very easy to get food from great restaurants rather than having to go to the canteen. Sure, we often go to the place across the road and just get sandwiches/rolls, etc, but sometimes it's great to go to the Vietnamese restaurant and try something a bit more different. Because it'll be during the day, nearly all places have lunch deals on to try and attract students, so you can get a great meal for under €10. A burger king meal would be at least €7 and it's not nearly as good.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by MelissaJayne
Why don't fish & chip places deliver?

If you use sites like HungryHouse and JustEat.co.uk you'll find plenty of places that deliver fish and chips, but it may not be proper 'chippy' type food e.g. from a pizza parlour.

I just checked and there's a 'fishbar' that delivers to me, they serve fish/chips/sausage/saveloy/mushy peas/curry sauce/pies...alongside pizza/kebabs/burgers/fried chicken....quite an impressive range, on paper.

Another thing it wouldn't be viable for a meal for one, since del. will cost a min £10.
Reply 14
Rustlers:

Lamb Shish Kebab with pitta bread, salad and chilli sauce
12 Onion rings with BBQ sauce
'Chipper' style chips

Rustlers, It's Time to move on to the next stage of Microwaveable foods.
Reply 15
These guys should be everywhere, not just in Spitalfields:

http://www.pilpel.co.uk/index.html

The falafel there is SO good.......!!!!
Reply 16
Rustlers Original Recipie Chicken Box consisting of 3 pieces of chicken, 2 spicy wings, 1 chips and beans. 0 - edible in 90 seconds.
Reply 17
More coconut based deserts.
-coconut spongecake with a milk chocolate filling
-coconut ice cream
the list is endless...
Reply 18
A wider range in the Vegan food market.
Perhaps have more amy's kitchen products over here.

If only quorn would remove the bladdy egg from their products...
Original post by VanillaDoe
A wider range in the Vegan food market.
Perhaps have more amy's kitchen products over here.

If only quorn would remove the bladdy egg from their products...

Sod that! That egg gives us protein, vegetarians shouldn't be forced to restrict themselves to the Vegan market too :biggrin:

Latest