The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Colonel.
Oh no. Joss Whedon fan in the room :colonhash:

I'm quite ashamed to say I haven't seen much of Whedon's stuff... apart from Buffy :ninja: I suppose it's a burden of not having Sky :cry2:

On a seperate note, I'm shocked at the low amount of Bond fans on TSR! :biggrin:
I have seen early Buffy, which is very "Freak of the Week", but it gets better later on, I've heard. Firefly is NOT as good as everyone says it is, but it is a fairly decent show which was cut short unfortunately.

Dr Horrible is amazing. I'll give him that.
I kind of agree. Though I like Whedon, his fans can be annoying as ****. And I really dig Firefly, but if you listen to the fanbase, it's the greatest thing in the long and checkered history of fiction, from Chaucer to Dante to Shakespeare to Joyce to Nolan and beyond. :colonhash:
Original post by Christien
I kind of agree. Though I like Whedon, his fans can be annoying as ****. And I really dig Firefly, but if you listen to the fanbase, it's the greatest thing in the long and checkered history of fiction, from Chaucer to Dante to Shakespeare to Joyce to Nolan and beyond. :colonhash:

I imagine his hardcore fans as Sheldon Cooper clones :nooo:
Original post by Pandora.
I imagine his hardcore fans as Sheldon Cooper clones :nooo:

Ha. How odd. I really hate that show, but I find that reference strangely compelling. :holmes:
Some of Joss Whedon is alright. Dollhouse (and yes, I have watched all of it) was just boring and early on, ****ing terrible. Joss Whedon fans will never hear anything bad about him, never ever ever.

It's just annoying and makes me think even less of Whedon.

That's over. You disagree, I know, so please let's not make this a thing :awesome:

No no, I agree, Dollhouse was **** to begin with. It only started to get good in the second season, and while the last episodes showed promise, it's understandable why it was cancelled. It gets better in the comics, incidentally, but I don't expect you to read them :p:

I have seen early Buffy, which is very "Freak of the Week", but it gets better later on, I've heard. Firefly is NOT as good as everyone says it is, but it is a fairly decent show which was cut short unfortunately.

Dr Horrible is amazing. I'll give him that.

Early Buffy is only any real fun to watch if you're a fan, I'll admit, but it does get much better later on. Angel, too.

Firefly may not deserve the pedestal some people give it, but it is fantastic. And say what you want about the fans, it is pretty ****ing cool that the fan reaction prompted a big-screen film to be made from a cancelled series.

Original post by Christien
Ha. How odd. I really hate that show, but I find that reference strangely compelling. :holmes:

I'm not a huge fan of BBT, but I don't understand hating it :eyebrow:
(edited 12 years ago)
Community is what BBT should be, so everybody watch that instead.
Watching Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country again. Fantastic film.
Original post by Jace Falco

I'm not a huge fan of BBT, but I don't understand hating it :eyebrow:

Well, it's incredibly one note, the relationship between Leonard and Penny is boring as **** and it makes the monster behind Dharma and Greg and Two and a Half Men richer with each broadcast. Besides that it's fine.

And yeah, Community is better. As is Parks and Rec, Archer, 30 Rock, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Louie and a bunch of other comedy that's perpetually low-rated (besides Sunny) because people appreciate stuff like this more. Which is fair enough, I guess, but it rankles a bit.
(edited 12 years ago)
Just found out that America doesnt get Tintin for another 2 months. Anyone know why?

Saw it today and loved it.

xD such a funny premise for the film but it's a semi-big conspiracy irl or so I've heard anyway

Anyone seen 'The Thing'? I loove Mary Winstead :biggrin:
Original post by sheep_go_baa

I saw it yesterday. It's got some preposterous moments and some pretty ropey acting in places, but it actually comes together surprisingly well in the end. I enjoyed it.

However, I hate the blatant, stupid hypocrisy that marks the attitude some people have to this film. Aaron Sorkin and David Fincher made a biopic of a living person that bordered on slanderous and without much care for the truth, and very few people said anything about that being wrong. Then Roland Emmerich dares to make a similar film about a man who has been dead for 400 years, and people are up in arms about it. That is utterly pathetic.
Original post by Phalanges
I saw it yesterday. It's got some preposterous moments and some pretty ropey acting in places, but it actually comes together surprisingly well in the end. I enjoyed it.

However, I hate the blatant, stupid hypocrisy that marks the attitude some people have to this film. Aaron Sorkin and David Fincher made a biopic of a living person that bordered on slanderous and without much care for the truth, and very few people said anything about that being wrong. Then Roland Emmerich dares to make a similar film about a man who has been dead for 400 years, and people are up in arms about it. That is utterly pathetic.

Agreed. With gusto.
Reply 4715
Recently watched Crazy, Stupid, Love. Thoroughly enjoyed it. The central theme did seem like a sophisticated version of Hitch but the twists, dialogue, acting and - ultimately - plotline were far superior.

The comedic elements were, for the most part, a lot funnier than films billed as 'pure' comedies - i.e. Horrible Bosses - with the plot executed in a more unique manner and without the reliance on lazy, overused, jokes. The combination of the improv'ed dialogue and the genuinely emotional moments only enhanced the comedy.

If I had any criticisms, it would probably be that some parts of the film were far too surreal and unbelievable when they really didn't need to be to secure laughs. Also, Gosling was a bit 'cardboard cut-out' in his acting.
Reply 4716
The Ides of March really has an incredible cast, doesn't it. :holmes:
Machine Gun Preacher is really good. Like, really good.
Original post by Phalanges

I agree. I purely don't like the idea of the film because Roland Emmerich keeps getting money to make epic films out of flimsy premises.

Original post by Abiraleft
The Ides of March really has an incredible cast, doesn't it. :holmes:

Yes <3
I found the latest Box Office predictions to be quite difficult :biggrin: I don't think I'll be doing too well this week.

Young Goethe In Love looks quite good actually... :holmes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending